Maryville didn't warn OR to wear helmets in press box

Ole Dad

This sounds like a sad incident during a great football game. My question though is kind of in support of Mr Meadows, though I certainly do not condone his actions. Why did the radio personalities not apologize for making a comment and if they felt threatened leave the pressbox or ask someone to intervene? As far as a suspension I think that is a bit strong but maybe this gentlemen should not be allowed in the pressbox in that capacity. However, how many parents feel so defensive of their children that they are ready to fight anyone for them? Coach Meadows is a fine coach and good man, please do not continue to degrade his father on this website

Excuse me, but this might be the most ridiculous post I have ever read.

The radio personalities did not apologize or get up and leave, because they did nothing wrong. They were being paid to give their opinions about the game, it's what radio guys do, and they were in the section of the pressbox that was set aside for their team's announcers to do just that. Nobody else should have been carrying on a conversation with them while they were broadcasting, period, unless it was someone handing them stats or something. He had no right to argue with them while they were doing their job.

What happened next is, by its very definition, Simple Assault. Simple Assault in the State of Tennessee is a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment of up to 11 months and 29 days. Only because the victim did not wish to press charges did this not happen, so I would think that, no, a suspension would not only not "be too strong", but would certainly be appropriate.

I don't think we are on here trying to "downgrade" the man, he seems to have done that himself.............................

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ole Dad,

The only action I am aware of at this time occurred at half-time of the game ... Mr. Meadows was told by the William Blount principal to leave the campus and Mr. Meadows complied.

I have complete confidence that Steve Lafon (principal) and Don Moore, Jr. (AD) will take the proper further action that is meritted by Mr. Meadows' actions. As I become aware of what they decide to do, I'll gladly share it here.

There are some parents and supporters who WILL NOT bury their heads in the sand, I assure you of that.

A good question to ask Mr. Clary and Mr. Monger is how they were treated during the evening by "everyone else" from W.B.

Good luck to the Cat's. We folks at WB will be pulling for you guys the rest of the way!!!

Nice , classy post Govman .

The difference between the 2 incidents are George Quarles and the Maryville fans let it go ( you brought up 99 ... not me ) in comparison , WB'S Coach did everything he could do to make the situation even worse ... he sure wasn't trying to play peacemaker after the Ooltewah game , then he rants in the paper about the refs ( great example to the kids ) , then he gets Upset after the Maryville game and tells Quarles he'll never play Maryville again .. then tries to do just that .... this is without even mentioning his dad , who apparently needs to be put on a leash after multiple confrontations .

I'm sorry if you or your family were mistreated by Maryville fans in 99 Govman , but even you would surely have to admit there's been some questionable behavior from some of the WB faithful this year ..... surely you don't agree with fans screaming at kids or your coach getting upset with Coach Quarles and trying to put an end to the rivalry . Maryville vs William Blount should be a lot bigger than Coach Meadow's temper tantrums ... don't you agree ?

PepVol,

You are ABSOLUTELY right. There has been some terrible behavior from WB fans and yes, even coaches. It is inexcuseable. Trying to deny that has not been my point at all Pep. I've just tried to remind some of your fans that just "feast" on trashing WB that they need to be careful "throwing rocks all the time" ... that incidents happen other places too.

And I am terribly disturbed with the rumor concerning "WB dropping Maryville." I will give you my word on here--and I reckon some WB coaches read this--that I will "fight" this decision, if indeed it is true. The Maryville game is something that WB fans and players look forward to every year ... yes, we rarely, rarely win ... what is it 3 times in 27 years? But THERE IS ALWAYS NEXT YEAR!!!

I'm going to take it for what it is for now ... a rumor. But surely, if this is being considered, the WB administration will become involved and at least give the fans/ players/ students a very, very good reason why we would want to drop the Rebels.

I'll say no more until this is verified.

Too many times there are far too many people in the press box that don't belong there. Sometimes even Me!!! I don't know Mr. Meadows duties but maybe they need to be reviewed. In Oak Ridge there are too many unauthorized people in the press just before half-time due to the free Big Ed's pizza. Passes should be issued and checked before letting people into the pressbox. Afterall it's a work area.

HEY LOOK 500 POSTS! Me and my big mouth.

Edited by bounder

GovMan,

I want to thank all of you for making our trip to William Blount, other than the game, a fine night for all of us. Your introduction of me included. For those of you reading this and want me to say otherwise, it's not going to happen. They did their best to make a bad situation better. Everybody in the box was friendly and helpful with the exception of the person in question. Not to make it worse, but the blow to Scott was struck with my high school age stat guy in between. This is what bothered me most at the time. I have nothing but respect for the way we were treated Friday night by the true professionals in the box.

I had heard the dad wont be back ever again. I heard the decision was made by the head coach.....must have been hard.

If this is true, then this was a good move by the coach. I'm sure it wasn't one that he relished making, but it was the right one.

There is no place in HS sports for this type of activity.