best coach ever at your school

getright

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fritts at Sequatchie, most successful over a period of time:

1988: 9-4, lost 3 of first 4 games but turned it around and made quarterfinals, lost to Alcoa 24-14

1989: 11-2, lost to Kingston in last minute in quarters, Kingston lost to nationally ranked Alcoa in last minute in semis the next week Beat McCallie in season opener. Shut out Smith County in Rankin's last game there.

1990: 12-1, lost to Gatlinburg Pittman in quarters, just outsized completely. Probably most overachieving group of his years, only 1 player besides some freshmen was recruited much, that I remember (TE signed with MTSU)., only 1 lineman was over 200 pounds (225 pound center).

1991: 4-6,only losing year. Had only 3 seniors, two of them gave good effort but weren’t too great, a 140 pound running back and a 175 pound guard. 210 pound senior running back was injured part of the year. Went with mostly freshmen and sophomores and naturally got everyone's best effort after going undefeated in the reg season the year prior.

1992: 8-2, lost to Tyner and Marion. Didn’t make the playoffs, only two teams did then.

1993: 10-2, lost to Marion in regular season, Sweetwater in playoffs, both those won state titles. Beat McCallie in the regular season, McCallie lost by 1 point in the 5A playoffs to Riverdale that year if I remember right.

5-1 against Bledsoe, 5-1 against Whitwell, 4-1 against South Pittsburg, 5-0 against Grundy, 2-4 against Marion, so 20-7 against main rivals, 54-17 overall, with 3 in first 4 games, 6 in the one season mentioned. Most successful yes, best, that's hard to say. Had terrific athletes in most seasons, the 1988 group went to the state final 8 in basketball, 1989 went to substate in basketball, the 1992 group was ranked as high as #2 among teams in all classes in baseball, many of those guys also played football. Depth was usually a problem, team usually had no more than 30 players. When there were injuries, they caused lots of problems. Had a few players play small college or at least sign, one 1-AA player in those years, another walked on at a 1-AA school, two signed 1-AA but did not play, the rest Division II, Division III types. One Division III All-American. A couple probably could have played small college but focused on academics, one is a doctor now. Fritts is at Rome GA now, beat Dalton pretty soundly in the last score I saw.

Edited by Indian

No doubt in Rhea County the late Coach Bill Horton. He took Rhea to there only two state finals appearances in the schools history. His staff has some coaches who went on to have good careers at other schools and at Rhea County- Tim Hammontree, Brad Payne (won a state title in Georgia),and Current Offensive line coach Coach Mitchell and some of the players that coach horton coached are now coaches themselves at the high school- Coach Fitzgerald and Coach Smith.

A great coach, but a greater human being. He was a Christian man and stood for God's principles. A great inspiration to the community in Rhea County. He will never be forgotten and many of his great stories are passed on every year in Rhea County.

Edited by sportsfan23

Coach Boyce Smith at Springfield High School, back in the day. He made the Ripley's Believe It or Not for 'Touchdown a Minute Team' were his 1930(i know it is old but if you think about it) team average a touchdown a minute in football play. He now has the high school field/stadium named after him he is the one of the winningest coach in Tennessee History to this day(288 victories from 1928-1972 (288-116-34 .696)( He is 4th behind Carlton Flatt(341 wins @ <a href='http://www.coacht.com/inside/team.cfm?SchoolID=37&SportID=1' target='_blank'>Brentwood Academy</a> from 1971-2005, John Tucker 332 victories @ Parsons, Tiptonville, Lewis County, Dickson, Milan, Gibson County, Humboldt , and 324 E.B. "Red" Etter @ Chattanooga Central & Baylor School) That is pretty amazing in my books

It's worth pointing out that for most of Smith's career, there were no playoffs, so 11 games was the most you could play.

Fritts at Sequatchie, most successful over a period of time:

1988: 9-4, lost 3 of first 4 games but turned it around and made quarterfinals, lost to Alcoa 24-14

1989: 11-2, lost to Kingston in last minute in quarters, Kingston lost to nationally ranked Alcoa in last minute in semis the next week Beat McCallie in season opener. Shut out Smith County in Rankin's last game there.

1990: 12-1, lost to Gatlinburg Pittman in quarters, just outsized completely. Probably most overachieving group of his years, only 1 player besides some freshmen was recruited much, that I remember (TE signed with MTSU)., only 1 lineman was over 200 pounds (225 pound center).

1991: 4-6,only losing year. Had only 3 seniors, two of them gave good effort but weren’t too great, a 140 pound running back and a 175 pound guard. 210 pound senior running back was injured part of the year. Went with mostly freshmen and sophomores and naturally got everyone's best effort after going undefeated in the reg season the year prior.

1992: 8-2, lost to Tyner and Marion. Didn’t make the playoffs, only two teams did then.

1993: 10-2, lost to Marion in regular season, Sweetwater in playoffs, both those won state titles. Beat McCallie in the regular season, McCallie lost by 1 point in the 5A playoffs to Riverdale that year if I remember right.

5-1 against Bledsoe, 5-1 against Whitwell, 4-1 against South Pittsburg, 5-0 against Grundy, 2-4 against Marion, so 20-7 against main rivals, 54-17 overall, with 3 in first 4 games, 6 in the one season mentioned. Most successful yes, best, that's hard to say. Had terrific athletes in most seasons, the 1988 group went to the state final 8 in basketball, 1989 went to substate in basketball, the 1992 group was ranked as high as #2 among teams in all classes in baseball, many of those guys also played football. Depth was usually a problem, team usually had no more than 30 players. When there were injuries, they caused lots of problems. Had a few players play small college or at least sign, one 1-AA player in those years, another walked on at a 1-AA school, two signed 1-AA but did not play, the rest Division II, Division III types. One Division III All-American. A couple probably could have played small college but focused on academics, one is a doctor now. Fritts is at Rome GA now, beat Dalton pretty soundly in the last score I saw.

I went to Marion but I know Sid. Real good coach plus a nice guy. Too bad TN doesn't pay like GA. I'm sure alot of area schools would love to have him next yr.

Ken Colquette at Marion County. Just check the jewelry on the hands. No doubt he's one of the top coaches in TN in the last 25 yrs. :P

No doubt in Rhea County the late Coach Bill Horton. He took Rhea to there only two state finals appearances in the schools history. His staff has some coaches who went on to have good careers at other schools and at Rhea County- Tim Hammontree, Brad Payne (won a state title in Georgia),and Current Offensive line coach Coach Mitchell and some of the players that coach horton coached are now coaches themselves at the high school- Coach Fitzgerald and Coach Smith.

Leave Fitzgerald off of that list, he is an insult to anyone.

Leave Fitzgerald off of that list, he is an insult to anyone.

HUUUUH! How can you say that! He has done a good job with our program this year.This is our first home playoff birth since 1999 and we are having one of are better years in a few years. Honestly I don't see why you and other people have issues with Fitzgerald. He has done a better job then the last coach who was at Rhea County. (He is also on that list). But its not worth arguing about the Bald wonder who is gone to Georgia.

Edited by Rhea Co.

Rhea Co.[/url]' post='826202062' date='Oct 21 2006 - 11:25 AM']

HUUUUH! How can you say that! He has done a good job with our program this year.This is our first home playoff birth since 1999 and we are having one of are better years in a few years. Honestly I don't see why you and other people have issues with Fitzgerald. He has done a better job then the last coach who was at Rhea County. (He is also on that list). But its not worth arguing about the Bald wonder who is gone to Georgia.

Good coaches dont jump into a fight on the field, they break it up. If he was so good, why did he have to step down for Coach Hammontree? B/c he is not that good.

Edited by volman9

Good coaches dont jump into a fight on the field, they break it up. If he was so good, why did he have to step down for Coach Hammontree? B/c he is not that good.

Oh now that is BS! I was standing right there in the endzone when that fight was going on and I watched the tape of that fight it seems like a hundred times,and I can tell he did not jump in on the fight. He was in there like the other coaches pulling Rhea County players off of Cleveland players so the Cleveland players wouldn't get beat down any worse then what they already were. They asked him to step down for Hammontree because of the fight. The School system brought in Hammontree to bring discipline to Rhea County which he did but he did make some stupid moves,and do to Hammontree's bad public relations he is now gone and Fitzgerald is back as Head Football coach and has given us are best year in the last couple of years. 6-3 and a home playoff birth. Hammontree was never that close.

Ask any coach fan player that was there that night they will tell you the same thing.

Edited by Rhea Co.