Irish Eyes Are Smiling!

Hoya

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i am not sure you can say fulton had a bad game. you could say catholic had a better game. yes the call was bad but you guys scored on the next dirve anyways so whats the big deal

I don't know what game you were watching, but Fulton definitely didn't have their "A" game on Friday. True, part of that was because of things that Catholic did (most of that being from HS--what a great and tremendous high school football player), but alot of the problems for the Falcons seemed to be from a lack of execution:

- Their first drive stalled inside the 20 with the measurement.

- Early drive crossing route for a sure TD to #4 was thrown about 10 yards short.

- Two 4th and short situations in which the DL jumps, keeping Catholic drives alive.

- Snap over the punter's head inside the 10.

- There also seemed to be receivers that were open and in position, but Stinson was reluctant to pull the trigger.

You couple that with Catholic not making many mistakes or having all the missed opportunities and you chalk up a win for the Irish.

I am not even going to discuss the "Phantom incomplete pass" (it has been well documented about the magnitude of that play). Let's just say the refs did not have their best game.

Round 1 goes to Catholic!

If Fulton executes, Round 2 will surely to be another classic!

All the pressure is now on the Irish!

I don't know what game you were watching, but Fulton definitely didn't have their "A" game on Friday. True, part of that was because of things that Catholic did (most of that being from HS--what a great and tremendous high school football player), but alot of the problems for the Falcons seemed to be from a lack of execution:

- Early drive crossing route for a sure TD to #4 was thrown about 10 yards short.

- Two 4th and short situations in which the DL jumps, keeping Catholic drives alive.

- There also seemed to be receivers that were open and in position, but Stinson was reluctant to pull the trigger.

You couple that with Catholic not making many mistakes or having all the missed opportunities and you chalk up a win for the Irish.

I am not even going to discuss the "Phantom incomplete pass" (it has been well documented about the magnitude of that play). Let's just say the refs did not have their best game.

Sounds to me not only was there a lack of execution by Fulton but lack of DISIPLINE as well. The Fulton players that were punished by their actions and didn't play should figure out which is more important.... I or TEAM. Coach Coatney should be commended for his stand on not letting those players play. You have to draw the line somewhere. No player is bigger than the team.

I have always said that Fulton had the best team last year and should have won their 3rd straight state championship but lost their QB because of whatever reasons. Once again Coach did the right thing and took the necessary steps that probably cost him and the Falcons another title. Hats off to the coaches for doing what was right.

CalStars, I've read some absolutely asinine statements on here but yours takes the cake. Sure, Smith was clearly the better athlete on a clearly better coached team but that doesn't diminish what Rogan does. Here's to seeing them both in Big Orange next year and here

come on now, did you watch the game? did you see what happened each time these two went toe-to-toe? did you see harrison leap over rogan for a td catch, then later juke him in the open field? i don't really think the post was that asinine, my friend. and if harrison is smart, as huge of a vols fan as i am, he'll take his game to the guy who will put him in the nfl, charlie weis. also, it is hard for me to imagine dennis rogan being a quality sec db with the play i saw on friday. but the boy can jet, and he has some wiggle. he could be a good wr and return man. he really has a feel for making people miss. i'm not taking anything away from dennis rogan by saying he doesn't hold a cleat to him, i'm just stating what i think everyone else saw on friday night, and that is that these two aren't on the same level in a lot of areas. come on, you can agree with that red neckerson.

i don't really think the post was that asinine, my friend. and if harrison is smart, as huge of a vols fan as i am, he'll take his game to the guy who will put him in the nfl, charlie weis. also, it is hard for me to imagine dennis rogan being a quality sec db with the play i saw on friday.

UT has the third with the most NFL players on active rosters behind Miami and Florida State. Fulmer puts players in the NFL. In today's time, if you are good then they will find you. Harrison needs to stay in state and play under the best WR coach in the nation. Trooper Taylor and under one of the best offensive minds in college football. Rogan will great coaching by Chavous and will turn into a quality DB in the SEC. Do you think anyone 4 years ago thought Ryan Karl would be an SEC caliber linebacker? No, but he is now, due to great coaching.

Edited by Gerry Bertier

I'm with you CalStars - HS is as good an athlete and football player as I've seen (although pound for pound I'd match Cates from LA up with anybody - that kid was magic) but Rogan can "hold a cleat to him". Rogan had 150 yards, averaged almost 5 per carry, and broke the big play like he always does. No argument, HS "out athleted" him and clearly was part of a better coached and more disciplined team(absolutely no reason KC doesn't win the rematch). I don't know where Rogan will play in college but I'm betting he'll be on the field by his sophmore year as will Smith.

If I had to choose between the two; sure, I take Smith. But what I'd like to see is both of them in Big Orange. Any young man would have to consider ND if they come into the picture but I'm still holding out hope for UT which may well finish ahead of ND this year and, don't forget, Phil and Cut can recruit and a little of the shine may get worn off of Weiss before the year's over.

Now's my turn to make a statement that's probably asinine. Hopefully, the Hornet coaches learn from Catholic and are smart enough to exploit the few weaknesses Fulton has. Even with the right plan, Carter's a long shot but, hey, it just might happen.

What game did you watch? The fumble was clearly a bad call. But those refs gave Fulton every call and plenty of missed calls. Somehow I think Coach Pemberton will have them ready with the necessary adjustments to play Fulton again in the playoffs. It figures that Catholic wins and Fulton fans say they were cheated. The refs made bad calls all night. They had everything to do with Fulton not handling Catholic's blitzes (when they chose to use them). When Fulton beat Catholic last year I don't recall Catholic fans blaming refs or anything like that. I for one was the first to admit that Fulton was the better team then. Fulton was suppose to be the better team last night, so how can you not say that Catholic outplayed them? Oh I forgot, we are not suppose to beat "power" programs, unless the refs cheat.

I dont know what calls you are referring too that Fulton got last night ..I saw 2 bad ones against Fulton .. you must be talking about the defensive pass interference call (make up call) against KC when number 4 for Fulton caught the ball anyway .. boy that one hurt KC ... I dont see how you could blame refs last year in 1st meeting .. when you get beat 38 - 9 its hard to blame anybody so i dont blame you for not blaming refs ... I dont know that Fulton was supposed to be the better team last night .. I would have said they were if Wagner and Freeney played but I new loosing the passing QB , the best WR and DB , and the long snapper for punts was gonna hurt and it did ... I cant help but think that Wagner would have completed some passes and that Freeney would have made some plays and that the bad snap over the head of punter would not have happened ... but like I said KC outplayed Fulton Friday night .. if a couple of calls go to Fulton like they should have then Fulton could have won even if they had been outplayed by KC .... I guess we will see what Fulton is made of if they can get back to face KC .. if they dont make it back to that round then it means they couldnt make up for the losses they have had and dont deserve to be there ... like I said without a doubt KC has great coaching and they put HS in place to make plays ..the kid is phenominal and I hope I see him in Orange but if he goes to ND good luck .. he will be outstanding as a SS or OLB or Big WR or H back ....... Take care

I've been saying it for the longest, "Fulton was doomed for a bad game!" Well that bad game came last night and now Fulton must build off this lost. But its kind of funny that everyone is saying these two teams will meet up again in the Playoffs, are you all overlooking the other teams? Cough Cough AE? I mean, AE only lost to Cat by 11 points and Fulton lost to Cat by 12, that makes AE 1 point better than Fulton- LOL

But it was a good game last night by both teams.. But like I said in another thread if you stop Rogan you have a chance. Catholic did that.

Someone stated that Freeney and Wagner need to stop trying to be gangsta's well my opinion toward that is, "You need to stop labeling them as gangsta's and go lend a Positive helping hand to them."

Turtle, I completely, whole heartedly agree with you about stop labeling these kids and go invest something positive into thier lives.

From a Fulton perspective, you don't want to see AE again because of the intense rivalry. Anything can happen when these teams play. I'd love to see AE play Catholic and knock the Irish out of the playoffs and set up a Fulton/AE rematch. I'd drive to Knoxville for that.

Turtle, I completely, whole heartedly agree with you about stop labeling these kids and go invest something positive into thier lives.

From a Fulton perspective, you don't want to see AE again because of the intense rivalry. Anything can happen when these teams play. I'd love to see AE play Catholic and knock the Irish out of the playoffs and set up a Fulton/AE rematch. I'd drive to Knoxville for that.

Hate to say it but I think it was a Falcon supporter that used the "gangsta" term. A Catholic supporter would have used "gangster" instead. Again, they've had multiple chances and let their teammates down. Haven't these kids labeled themselves with their repeated actions? A leopard rarely changes it's spots.

Edited by IrishBBall

I've been saying it for the longest, "Fulton was doomed for a bad game!" Well that bad game came last night and now Fulton must build off this lost. But its kind of funny that everyone is saying these two teams will meet up again in the Playoffs, are you all overlooking the other teams? Cough Cough AE? I mean, AE only lost to Cat by 11 points and Fulton lost to Cat by 12, that makes AE 1 point better than Fulton- LOL

But it was a good game last night by both teams.. But like I said in another thread if you stop Rogan you have a chance. Catholic did that.

Someone stated that Freeney and Wagner need to stop trying to be gangsta's well my opinion toward that is, "You need to stop labeling them as gangsta's and go lend a Positive helping hand to them."

I have to agree teams cannot overlook AE. They are playing well and it looks as if Catholic and AE would match up again in the second round of the playoffs if everything goes accordingly. Should be an exciting post season.

Disagree. The pressure is on Fulton. They are suppose to be the better team, rather the most talented of the two.