Covington Vs. Crockett County

CHARGERFAN

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given the TSSAA's playoff system, Dyersburg will likely be better off if Crockett County beats Covington (assuming that Crockett County and Dyersburg win out and Covington wins its final game. If Crockett beats Covington and Dyersburg beats Obion, Dyersburg finishes a solid second. The tiebreaker system does not favor Dyersburg, which could finish 3rd and have to play on the road. Yes, it is true that Covington or Dyersburg could finish the season 9-1 and finish third! And, yes, someone in the region will almost certainly finish 9-1 and not win the region. Strange factors come into the tiebreaker system. For example, if Milan loses another game, this will affect Crockett County's tiebreaker status in one area, which is number of teams defeated which have won half or more of their games. Another example: if Manassas defeats Halls, this helps Crockett County, since another tiebreaker category, further down the list, is how many total losses the teams you defeated have against them.

The entire TSSAA tiebreaker plan is laid out on their website.

What is the last tiebreaker between two schools? An "overtime" playoff at a neutral site on Monday, November 6---after regular season ends and the day before national elections this year. A coin is tossed and the teams play the high school overtime format until one team wins. (Wanna bet that the TSSAA would charge admission for that "game," which might last 10 minutes--and keep it all?)

SORRY to respond on this post..yes I know for sure Massey doesnt call the plays for CC nor does any other qb for their team..I was only giving my props for all the Cav team with Massey being the General(as a General in the Army) running the team with Poise, Confidence and true Markmanship thusfar on hand-offs,passing..and yes the TSSAA would love to have all the $$$ for a 10-15 minute game..Also Great explanation of tie-breaker situation==Thanks for that ! :thumb:

It's going to be hard to beat CC. Hope the game is well played and everyone gets out of it without injuries. I am a West TN football nut and hope our Region 7 teams go into the playoffs healthy. Wont't be long now. You folks coming down from CC drive safely and have a good time here in Covington supporting your team. Go Chargers!

Okay, time to throw my prediction out there.

This one should be a classic battle between 2 well coached teams with lots of recent tradition. The question is......Can the vaunted defense of Covington stop the offense of Crockett County? We all know about Crockett's running game with the 3 headed monster of Johnson, Johnson, and Perry. But few give credit to Massey's ability to throw the ball. Crockett came out in a no huddle, 4 wide offense against Dyer County and threw the ball at will. Massey finished with 249 yards in barely over 2 quarters. Can the Cavalier offensive line protect Massey and give him time to throw the ball downfield against this speedy Charger defense? I guarantee you he will not have the time to throw that he had against Dyer County. But I feel like if the Cavs mix the pass and run we should be able to move the ball better than any other team has against the Chargers.

When the teams change sides, Crockett had better be ready to stop the run because I feel like Covington is gonna try to grind out yards and take as much time off the clock as possible. The Chargers aren't known for their ability to pass but who knows what Coach Murphee and his staff have planned for tonight.

I think there will be more scoring than most expect and I believe the Chargers keep this one close.....however Im gonna say Crockett County 21 Covington 14.

See everyone in Covington!!

You have no idea what you are talking about...........in past four games for Covington they have faced three teams that we have already played. They lost to Dyersburg, Obion played them close, and they beat Ripley by two touchdowns. The only one we havent played is Munford.........Bolivar is five and three and will make the playoffs this year......Manassas and Oakhaven are not powerhouse teams and only ppl like you are tryin to say that we count them as one..........WE have blown out all region competition this year except for Dyersburg. Covington has been in close games........they fumble(more than tiki barber two years ago) and their offense hasnt produced. There is all this talk about their amazing defense but Crockett doesnt care what Covingtons defense is about because everyon e was saying the same stuff about Ripleys D and look what happened 35-7. Our offense will not get knocked around.........once again Covington has not faced an offense like crocketts ......i do wish both teams an injury free game..........thus far crockett has stayed away from that injury bug and i hope it continues especially with the playoffs approaching.

If you are comparing covingtons defense to ripleys you are in for a long night. Good luck to both teams.

This game is all about defense, there is o team in the region with the speed defensively of covington,,They can swarm to almost anything,,Now if you ask me last week about this one, I say Covington becuz I believe they were capable of shutting down CCHS, but the fact that MAssey ran the no huddle to perfection, Is kinda scary..That makes you think,,,Offensively CCHS has the wapons to just come at you too many different ways to prepare,,If you are good one way they can beat you the other way, but the only close game this year was against DHS and Dyersbyrg wasnt a great Defensive team at the time and Had opprunttes to stop Crockett, if givent those pprunites Covington will take advantage,,,Perry should have a very small game, I think it just dpends on how well CCHS passes the ball, and I think it won't be as weel as they did against a terrible DCHS defense last week ,,Covington will grind it out til the 4th quater and it will be wthin 3 or 6 ,,,it will depend on who makes plays and I think covington will tonight,,,,,Covington takes it real late