Coach Bashing

BDURHAM

"On this board we have moderators. It is up to the moderators to inforce our agreed upon guidelines. If Coach T and the moderators don't want a topic or thread, they can and do end it. "

I would love for some of the cowards to step up and meet many of these coaches face to face. The sad part is that most coaches have too much class to deal with it. The comment that coaches know that there are people who will not like them is the saddest commentary ever on our society. How would you like it if someone walked into your job and started yelling at you because he/she did not like the way you were doing things? Not gonna happen! The sad and terrible thing about some of this is that many coaches are bashing other coaches and starting many of the problems. Then they can feel good about themselves. It doesn't mean you are succeeding just because someone else isn't!!!

Finally, IT IS THE JOB OF THE MODERATORS TO REMOVE THREADS THAT ARE DAMAGING TO PLAYER OR COACHES!!!!!! Maybe the truth is that many of the coach T moderators are nothing more than coaches with agendas themselves. StanTrott thanks for this line but please make sure that you are not causing or fueling any rumors yourself, I remember seeing those things several years ago. Not questioning your integrity and totally appreciate your stance. If I was wrong I apologize

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stan, I agree that coaches shouldn't be bashed on this forum or anywhere else...maybe the difference of opinion comes from the different definitions of "bashing". Obviously, if a poster starts maligning a coach's character then he should be booted, and I think he generally is. On the other hand, I don't think that questioning a coach's decision after a game is bashing, as long as the discussion remains on the merits of the decision. An example would be some of the comments made after the Riverdale/McCallie game, where some of the Riverdale's coach's decisions that were made late in the game were questioned.

It may be a joke to you, but I promise you that that

you don't have the guts to make the comments to

the coach's face. Who would be laughing if the

poster had to stand up in the light of day and make

his/her comments? Try making them in the coach’s

office or at a booster meeting. Bashing a coach on

these boards creates no positive results.

How often do you see a newspaper reporter write

about a high school coach's character and try to

destroy a coach's reputation? Do you ever see a reporter

write that the high school coach is the "problem"?

There should be some guidelines on these boards

about posters trying to destroy a coach's reputation.

Posters who hide behind a keyboard start rumors

about coaches looking for other jobs and other things

that are completely false.

These posts not only hurt the coaches and their teams,

but the coaches have families who read this stuff. The

lack of self-control and monitoring of the posts has

created a negative impact.

If you see someone bashing a coach on these boards,

please don't ignore the posts. If the cowards who make

these posts are challenged, then maybe their negative

impact will be minimized.

1. I don't bash coaches or players on this forum. I find people who bash coaches and players to be a joke.

2. Yes, I have seen a paper write about how a coach is the problem at a school.

3. Starting false rumors is unforgiveable. I don't like it, and anyone who does it should have their IP address banned. That said, voicing your opinion on a coach is fine. It depends on how you say it that matters.

4. Coaches are in the public eye. They are tough people that know people talk about them. People have been doing this for years and it isn't going to change. I'm not up for people slandering coaches left and right, but I'm also not up for people having free speech taken away.

You have some good points, but it is going to happen. I just see that you only want to see good things said on this board. Quite frankly, that isn't going to happen. People are going to trash talk and be unhappy about things. Football is a tough sport that teaches life lessons to kids. Coaches can handle what is said about them. They are leaders, and leaders all understand that not everyone is going to like them.

No, I don't believe any coach is a moderator, and I am not implying

that is the case.

I have posted things in the past that were ill-conceived. I am not

trying to be a judge and jury on this issue. My objective is to

generate discussion and awareness of the issue.

Maybe the truth is that many of the coach T moderators are nothing more than coaches with agendas themselves. StanTrott thanks for this line but please make sure that you are not causing or fueling any rumors yourself, I remember seeing those things several years ago. Not questioning your integrity and totally appreciate your stance. If I was wrong I apologize

Edited by StanTrott

jabbo,

Agree with you about questioning play calling.

What I'm talking about is when a poster starts

attacking a coach's reputation and past history.

Comments such as "Is it time to start questioning

the coaching," "We'd have more kids in the program

if the coach left," and "He has never been a good

coach."

I saw one recent post in which a self-proclaimed

supporter of the team said that the head coach

has never won a big game. That same head coach

has won a state title for that team.

Posters are posting that head coaches are presently

searching for other jobs. I know that in one case

that is not true, and probably not true in other

situations as well.

Sure, coaching is a public job. But posters have

to be held to some standards. In the old days,

some newspapers would not report a story

without two confirmed sources.

On these boards, anyone can post anything, which

is not necessarily a good thing.

Stan, I agree that coaches shouldn't be bashed on this forum or anywhere else...maybe the difference of opinion comes from the different definitions of "bashing". Obviously, if a poster starts maligning a coach's character then he should be booted, and I think he generally is. On the other hand, I don't think that questioning a coach's decision after a game is bashing, as long as the discussion remains on the merits of the decision. An example would be some of the comments made after the Riverdale/McCallie game, where some of the Riverdale's coach's decisions that were made late in the game were questioned.

Any coach should have enough sense than to get on here. At some point, every coach is 'bashed' whether winning or losing. Point is, these forums are for the 'outsiders' and if they choose to foolishly or understandingly bash a coach, it is their choice. It is also a coaches choice to choose not to look or listen to anyone who is 'dealing' on CoachT. Hey, its a tough job and its not for everyone and I've had my fair share of getting bashed as well and thats OK. I'm used to it and have pretty much 'armoured' myself against it over the years. Best thing for a coach is to choose not to look or participate in public forums. Have I been a 'basher'.......yes, and also a supporter. Its a fine line.

Any coach should have enough sense than to get on here. At some point, every coach is 'bashed' whether winning or losing. Point is, these forums are for the 'outsiders' and if they choose to foolishly or understandingly bash a coach, it is their choice. It is also a coaches choice to choose not to look or listen to anyone who is 'dealing' on CoachT. Hey, its a tough job and its not for everyone and I've had my fair share of getting bashed as well and thats OK. I'm used to it and have pretty much 'armoured' myself against it over the years. Best thing for a coach is to choose not to look or participate in public forums. Have I been a 'basher'.......yes, and also a supporter. Its a fine line.

hehe I played for Coach Greene at Boone. I heard many "THROW THE BALL!!" from fans every single Friday. I guess bashing from fans just doesn't really bother me.

And I agree. No coach should be on here. I also think players should stay off while they are playing. Out of the public eye is good for high school football. I just think too much could accidently be said, and then couldn't be taken back.

True. I try to prohibit my kid from any 'COACHT EXPOSURE' until post game. That is for his own good as he has been 'bashed' a bit himself.

One other note, and this one is for you coaches who do look......

When I do coach I always shoulder the blame for losing. Either not having my boys prepared or making a bad decision in the game. I have never backed down from that responsibility and I never lay it all on the kids. It is always a complete group effort. AND never, ever lay all of the responsibility of winning or losing on a single young man. "We'll go as far as _______ will carry us" or "We are riding his shoulders" is too much for any teenager to carry.

The most moronic statements being made on this thread are "I'd like to see these people bash these coaches face to face." THIS IS A HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL MESSAGE BOARD. High school football includes coaches, and teams that are performing poorly do so in part because of coaching.

We have every right to be angry at the coaches of our team. I pay $50 a year to see my team play, and my team is going to go 0-10. Should I just sit back and say "Oh, well I can't blame it on anyone." NO. I'm an angry fan. There is a reason for my team going 0-10. And that reason is coaching. Plain and simple. It's been that way for 10 years, and excuse me for getting fed up with mediocre records year after year. In 10 years, my team has been to the playoffs, as a 4th seed, twice. Compare that to Ravenwood, who has already been to the playoffs twice, and has WON A STATE CHAMPIONSHIP. When I see the amount of success other teams in Williamson County have enjoyed, I have no other option but to question why my team hasn't had similar success. I know first hand that it's not a lack of talent. So it leads back to coaching.

I will never make fun of a coach on a personal level, but I WILL talk about his past history, strictly because it helps enforce what is an already known fact where I live. That fact: The coach leading my team is a proven loser on the football field.

I'm sick of coming home from games with an empty feeling in my stomach. I want my team to win. Is that a crime? I don't believe so.

As long as personal attacks are not involved, I see no reason why posters on here shouldn't be able to question a coache's choices and point the finger when things turn sour.

i agree that it is for the most part cowardly on behalf of most who do it

the one exception is if you have a coach that doesnt know how to use his players

running 140 RBs behind a OL that averages 220 into DLs that are 300 and the coach run the backs right up the middle deserves some criticizim

thats all i have to say

I totally agree with you, as that is what we have going on at Briarcrest. Too many 140 pound sophomores playing ahead of 200 pound plus seniors all because the coaches are afraid of the underclassmen parents. It is really sad that the parents there have way too much influence on who plays and what coaches weren't hired.

The YANKER feels like this board is not the place to bash coaches. Just because you have played the game of football does not mean that you know how to coach. People hide behind their fake names and lash out at coaches and I find it ridiculous. You can all have your opinion but I will NEVER change mine. None of you out there can come and tell me how to do my job better than I do, unless you are in the same profession. I do not care if you have played football all of your life and watched it on TV for the last fifty years... Nothing qualifies you to bash coaches on here. Those of you who played the game and watch it on TV and think that certifies you as expert enough to bash coaches on here are comical!!!!! Many of you out there will disagree with me and that is just fine...because I am not changing!