District 14A

mrbigster

I haven't heard much about this district.I know Hudson is back for Gleason but does she have most of her supporting cast back also?I believe Greenfield had a very young team that went to the State tournament ,so are they the team to beat this year..How about Union City..They were strong last year..And Lake Co?They have several girls returning from a team that upset the #1 team in the state last year in the Gleason..Is this South Fulton's year?Or Bradford's?How do most people rank these teams ?...Is Gleason still the top dawg?

Edited by mrbigster

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't heard much about this district.I know Hudson is back for Gleason but does she have most of her supporting cast back also?I believe Greenfield had a very young team that went to the State tournament ,so are they the team to beat this year..How about Union City..They were strong last year..And Lake Co?They have several s returning from a team that upset the #1 team in the state last year in the Gleason..Is this South <a href='http://www.coacht.com/inside/team.cfm?SchoolID=159&SportID=2' target='_blank'>Fulton</a>'s year?Or Bradford's?How do most people rank these teams ?...Is Gleason still the top dawg?

1.Gleason 2.Greenfield 3.Lake Co. 4.Union City 5.So.Fulton 6.Dresden 7.Trenton 8.Bradford 9.Humboldt 10.Halls

1.Gleason 2.Greenfield 3.Lake Co. 4.Union City 5.So.Fulton 6.Dresden 7.Trenton 8.Bradford 9.Humboldt 10.Halls

That's about what I was thinking but I didn't know if Gleason had enough players back with Hudson..I thought maybe Greenfield had everyone back and may overtake Gleason for the top spot!Didn't know about South Fulton,Trenton and Dresden this year.

District 14A

1. Gleason – The Lady Bulldogs boasted a strong senior class last year, including starters Price, Wiseman, and Felts. However, Gleason does return the best point guard in Class A in Kayla Hudson and a very talented junior in Riley Auvenshine. If Candace Green can supply a significant amount of offensive production to help out Hudson and Auvenshine, then you can bet that Coach Frazier will find a few more players (probably will be freshmen) to help make this team a legitimate State Tournament contender out of the West.

2. Greenfield – The Lady Yellowjackets lose only two seniors from last year’s State Tournament team, but those seniors happen to have been their best two players in Becky Atnip and Alyse Page. Despite that, Greenfield does return six seniors, including point guard Annatasia Allen and wing Keely Williams. Throw into the mix a very strong freshman class, and the Lady Yellowjackets could give Gleason a run for their money for the District 14A title.

3. Union City – The Lady Golden Tornadoes lost four seniors from last year’s team including their go-to player, Brandi Alley. But, Union City returns quite a bit of athletic talent and has some solid players coming up from their middle school, which should keep them close to the top of District 14A.

4. South Fulton – The Lady Red Devils possibly return seven seniors for the 2006 – 2007 basketball season. If all of those players have returned, then South Fulton should give even the top teams in their district a run for their money. However, they will have to battle to hold on to this fourth spot since there are about three other teams that could sneak up on them and take it away.

5. Lake County – The Lady Falcons lost all but four players from their entire team last season. However, all four of those players are capable of scoring and playing pretty decent defense. If they can get anything from their freshman class or find another decent post player to replace Clay inside, then the Lady Falcons should at least be in contention to make it to the Regional Tournament.

6. Trenton Peabody – If the Lady Golden Tide return everyone but Meece for this year’s team, then they should finish around the middle of the pack. Last season, they ended on an eight game losing streak which will be on the players’ minds entering this year. They have some very athletic players, but they just have to learn how to be more fundamental and to play as a team.

7. Dresden – The Lady Lions went through somewhat of a rebuilding year last year, but things could be on the up-and-up this season. They seemed to be much improved in the summer, but their athleticism is lacking. They return quite a bit and may finish as high as 4th or 5th depending on how good of a start they get early in the season.

8. Bradford – The Lady Red Devils are a young, but capable team. They return everyone from a season ago, but still have no seniors on their roster. Look for freshmen, Molly Wallsmith and Emily Cunningham, to be a huge part of Bradford’s resurgence, which could possibly start this year.

9. Humboldt – The return just enough to beat Halls.

10. Halls – While they did pull off an “upset” over Bradford last year in the District 14A Tournament, I don’t see them pulling many upsets this year.

The only thing forsure about this district is the teams that will finish 1 - 3 and the teams that will finish 9 and 10. The district is a little down this year and a lot of teams are pretty much even, which means 4 - 8 is up in the air. Any of those teams could beat each other on any given night, though right now, I would give a slight edge for that 4th spot to South Fulton.

Edited by ptguard12

Pt.Guard..You seem to be very knowlegable of the girls teams in high school basketball..Thanks for the info..I didn't know if the Atnip was back or not but after your post.it seems like I remember her signing with someone quite a few months ago but I could be wrong..I'm hoping Jessica Wallace and Queenie Jordan lead LaKe Co to a little better finish,even though they lost a lot..Lake Co had a freshman that started a lot of games last year that had a high arch on her shot that was pretty good..Don't remember her name..And ..I believe the Ross girl will be pretty good...And I believe they have a very good player coming up from the middle school this year that seemed to always score about 20 points a game.. So ..maybe they will surprise a few teams.

Pt.Guard..You seem to be very knowlegable of the girls teams in high school basketball..Thanks for the info..I didn't know if the Atnip was back or not but after your post.it seems like I remember her signing with someone quite a few months ago but I could be wrong..I'm hoping Jessica Wallace and Queenie Jordan lead LaKe Co to a little better finish,even though they lost a lot..Lake Co had a freshman that started a lot of games last year that had a high arch on her shot that was pretty good..Don't remember her name..And ..I believe the Ross girl will be pretty good...And I believe they have a very good player coming up from the middle school this year that seemed to always score about 20 points a game.. So ..maybe they will surprise a few teams.

Like I said, 4th through 8th could go any number of ways. The reason I put Lake County no higher then 5th, is that they return so very little from last year. Clay and Geanes were the go to players for the Lady Falcons and when either of those two were out of the game, Lake County struggled badly. I think they do have some good talent returning and some good talent coming up from the middle school, but I just couldn't put them ahead of South Fulton who was returning a whole slew of players from last year making them a much deeper team.

Like I said, 4th through 8th could go any number of ways. The reason I put Lake County no higher then 5th, is that they return so very little from last year. Clay and Geanes were the go to players for the Lady Falcons and when either of those two were out of the game, Lake County struggled badly. I think they do have some good talent returning and some good talent coming up from the middle school, but I just couldn't put them ahead of South Fulton who was returning a whole slew of players from last year making them a much deeper team.

Your're definitely right about that..With Geanes and Clay out of the lineup we couldn't seem to bring the ball up the court!You're probably right on your predictions...they look good..but I hope we surprise everyone!I know Gleaso will be tough with Hudson and Auvenshine back

What about post game? Greenfield has 6 seniors this year.....two point guards, 2 wings, and 2 post. They have been together a long time and hopefully will have a repeat of last season.

This sounds like a tough district. Good luck to all. Please keep us posted as the season progresses.

Edited by diabolical