Dobyns Bennett @ Science Hill

I dont think this is anything but a goof and I agree the state of TN is not a prospect hot bed but there are more on college rosters than you can count on one hand. Heck, there are probably more kids from Maryville, Brentwood Academy, or Riverdale on college rosters than you can count on one hand. And there are definately several impact players on big time programs...Warren from Alcoa starting TE on FSU (saw him some in the NC State game and he looked awesome) and Patrick Turner starting WR on a great USC team

Actually there are more in the NFL than you can count on one hand.

Go here and see: http://www.hsfdatabase.com/tn_NFL2005.htm

TN boys per College team, not the entire NCAA. ex. Gamecocks-3, Gators-0, Bulldawgs (GA)-1, Auburn does have 6. Except for UT, not many TN boys. Now look at the roster and see how many SC, GA, FL, AL boys make out the roster. Other than Maryville and maybe Riverdale, not many TN HS have the constant powerhouse that sends boys to the next level. DB is good and has had some good teams, BUT we have no business stepping out of state. For that matter, Maryville doesnt need to this year. Except for one busted play on DB's secondary, the scrimmage was pretty even. The state is down this year, just ask Oak Ridge.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given the race and population statistics of Tennessee in relation to D1 football scholarships, then Tennessee compares favorable with most states in the Southeast. 66% of the NFL is African-American, roughly 72% of SEC Scholarship football players are African American. Tennessee has a small total population compared to Florida and Georgia. The population of Tennessee is roughly 6 million (17% of which is African-American) while Georgia has 9 million (28% African-American) and Florida 18 million citizens (16% of which is African-American) so on average Florida and Georgia should produce at least 5 times the number of D1 signees that Tennessee produces annually. The two states that really throw things out of wack are Louisiana (4.5 million residents) and Mississippi (3 million residents) who on a per capita basis contribute the highest percentage of NFL talent based on population. I'll work on the stats for LA and MS. I'm not intending to start any racial issues, just stating what the statistics show us.....besides I'm white, my wife is black and our son is "American", I love football and just wanted to provide some data to support that Tennessee does produce it's fair share of football talent.

TN boys per College team, not the entire NCAA. ex. Gamecocks-3, Gators-0, Bulldawgs (GA)-1, Auburn does have 6. Except for UT, not many TN boys. Now look at the roster and see how many SC, GA, FL, AL boys make out the roster. Other than Maryville and maybe Riverdale, not many TN HS have the constant powerhouse that sends boys to the next level. DB is good and has had some good teams, BUT we have no business stepping out of state. For that matter, Maryville doesnt need to this year. Except for one busted play on DB's secondary, the scrimmage was pretty even. The state is down this year, just ask Oak Ridge.

That ain't what they said on the maryville board..they said they won by 3 touchdowns..Which is it ? Just asking so don,t get mad.

Look for terrible conditions tonight. Its probably gonna' rain all day and night. I haven't seen the Sicence Hill field all year so I don't know how much grass is left on it. Could be very wet and muddy for the game. You can throw out the speed advantage and its probably going to hurt DB's line play.

Dobyns-Bennett - 19

Science Hill - 13

The 7th place victory would have clinched the meet for Robinson, but the 50 somethin victory lost the meet for Robinson, and handed it to Sevier. All i know is the Slipstream is very unreliable, i advise no one to run in a meet where it is used.

Sometimes mistakes happen, live with it. If no one runs in a meet timed by slipstream there won't be anybody at all the BIG meets because they do them all. I would hate to see some of the meets if they weren't involved. Have you ever tried to pick 5th place in a close 100 meter race on a 9 lane track? If you have you will appreciate the job they do. I know, I've been there and done that. If Robinson did lose that meet because of an error, the sun still came up the next day. It's just a sport not life or death.

I'm terolico and I approve of this message..

Given the race and population statistics of Tennessee in relation to D1 football scholarships, then Tennessee compares favorable with most states in the Southeast. 66% of the NFL is African-American, roughly 72% of SEC Scholarship football players are African American. Tennessee has a small total population compared to Florida and Georgia. The population of Tennessee is roughly 6 million (17% of which is African-American) while Georgia has 9 million (28% African-American) and Florida 18 million citizens (16% of which is African-American) so on average Florida and Georgia should produce at least 5 times the number of D1 signees that Tennessee produces annually. The two states that really throw things out of wack are Louisiana (4.5 million residents) and Mississippi (3 million residents) who on a per capita basis contribute the highest percentage of NFL talent based on population. I'll work on the stats for LA and MS. I'm not intending to start any racial issues, just stating what the statistics show us.....besides I'm white, my wife is black and our son is "American", I love football and just wanted to provide some data to support that Tennessee does produce it's fair share of football talent.

My bad, I didnt notice the asterisk beside the state designating their race. Black,pink, white, blue...TN does not produce as many D1 football players. Our top 5 teams would do well to go 1-4 against other top 5 teams from our neighboring states. Your stats remind me of the political advertisements on TV. PS Unless you are not a US Citizen, I consider all 3 of you as Americans!

That ain't what they said on the maryville board..they said they won by 3 touchdowns..Which is it ? Just asking so don,t get mad.

Once both sides started taking out first string they did score again. Varsity vs Varsity pretty even, edge to Maryville. Some prior years, Maryville had first string out early. I'm still not convinced that either team could compete against some of their teams they had just a few short years ago.