MOST ANNOYING ....

Purple & Gold Standard

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Refering to the football field as the gridiron. I looked up the history because for the life of me it didn't make since. Apparently, it came about very early in football history when someone in the nosebleed section noticed the similarity of the lines on the field to a barbeque grill...who cares!!! I think they just keep saying it now because it sounds tough or something...but it's not...let it go! I have a lot of others, but they mainly pertain to basketball.

Refering to the football field as the gridiron. I looked up the history because for the life of me it didn't make since. Apparently, it came about very early in football history when someone in the nosebleed section noticed the similarity of the lines on the field to a barbeque grill...who cares!!! I think they just keep saying it now because it sounds tough or something...but it's not...let it go! I have a lot of others, but they mainly pertain to basketball.

They also refer to basketball players a "cagers" because there used to be mesh cages around the court to keep the ball in play.

So its ok for someone to say "We would have lost if not for that interception" or something like that. Wouldnt that making an excuse for winning? :thumb:

That's pretty funny. Naw man, when you win and say something like that , people think you're being humble or realistic. When you lose, saying "if" sounds like whining or making excuses.

• 2 weeks later...

"We're taking it one game at a time."

Translation: "We're thinking about that big game in 3 weeks too."

"It was a team effort."

Translation: "I was pretty awesome tonight."

"We beat ourselves."

Translation: "Usually we would have beaten this team, but tonight I wouldn't have trusted these idiots on my team to sit right on a toilet seat."

"They have swagger."

Translation: "They are arrogant."

"He's a blue-collar player."

Translation: "He's not very talented, but he hustles."

What gets me is the word "Great" it is so over used now a days. Nobody is good anymore they have to be GREAT!!!!

Also compareing players/teams to those of years past. Why is it so important for a running back to be better than Jim Brown, a qb better than Unitas, a team better than the Packers/Steelers. If they are the best of this era, leave it at that.