JOHNSON COUNTY AT ELIZABETHTON

GLee

Longhorn Offense........

Stopping the Longhorns is no simple task. On offense they offer up, of course, Atwood who hits the line hard and quick. 5'10" 175lbs.....not huge but fast, strong and tough. Needed will be a hard tackle done with shoulders and not arms. You have to wrap this guy up hard. Carter & Price will play big roles Friday night for the Cyclone at DEs. Bishop has proven most effective up the middle on the line. Atwood will run hard all night and will get alot of touches. Just have to keep him in check. No easy task especially with a throwing QB.

The receivers are a double edged sword. Prudhomme and Moody are both dangerous. The answer to this is to put exteme pressure on the QB in true passing situations which is dangerous because of Atwood. Coach Atwood will pass when unexpected to counter the pressure. Keeping Atwood inside and hitting him hard and having GOOD defense on the pass routes by the DBs leaving the Cyclones LBs & FS on Atwood is key. Of course, not letting him get to the FS would unlock the door for the Cyclones. FS help is needed

DEFENSE**DEFENSE

Cap, get Voice to wake you up and re-Cap me. You've been there and I need the critique.....

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Longhorn Offense........

Stopping the Longhorns is no simple task. On offense they offer up, of course, Atwood who hits the line hard and quick. 5'10" 175lbs.....not huge but fast, strong and tough. Needed will be a hard tackle done with shoulders and not arms. You have to wrap this guy up hard. Carter & Price will play big roles Friday night for the Cyclone at DEs. Bishop has proven most effective up the middle on the line. Atwood will run hard all night and will get alot of touches. Just have to keep him in check. No easy task especially with a throwing QB.

The receivers are a double edged sword. Prudhomme and Moody are both dangerous. The answer to this is to put exteme pressure on the QB in true passing situations which is dangerous because of Atwood. Coach Atwood will pass when unexpected to counter the pressure. Keeping Atwood inside and hitting him hard and having GOOD defense on the pass routes by the DBs leaving the Cyclones LBs & FS on Atwood is key. Of course, not letting him get to the FS would unlock the door for the Cyclones. FS help is needed

DEFENSE**DEFENSE

Cap, get Voice to wake you up and re-Cap me. You've been there and I need the critique.....

My fault guys…just focused on the task at hand for my Vikings. :rolleyes:

I can’t add much to that. But to be honest with you almost every pass that the QB threw was pickable (if that’s a word) except for the one he beat us deep with (our CB just fell asleep and dropped coverage). Not much zing in his passes and he generally throws to an area not so much the receiver. Of course the Vikings had him on the run most of the time. The receivers have good hands and they made several good adjustments to the ball to make plays. If you stop, or should I say slowdown Atwood your DBs should have a field day…ours did (4 INTs and at least 2 that were dropped)!

It’s awfully quiet out there for this to be such and important game for both teams. I hope we’re not letting the superstitious notion that posting your support will somehow jinx your team into loosing….we’re not that shallow…are we :thumb: ??? This is a must win for both teams to “keep hope alive” so I’d like to say good luck to both teams. I’m a little partial to the Cyclones because even when I was in school they were always a part of the playoff picture, and I’d like to see that tradition continue…as long as it’s not at the expense of my Vikings of course! I’m also a fan of Preston Smith…he’s a baller in every sense of the word. And as a sports fan I have enjoyed seeing him play!! By the way did anybody see the play he made in Unicoi (catching his own pass down field)? Haven’t seen that before until this past Sunday Michael Vick made the same play…unbelievable!!!

I also respect the Longhorns and the way they have advanced their program in leaps and bounds throughout the years. FORTUNATELY I didn’t get to see Atwood do his thing :D , but I read the papers and saw enough in the Vikings game to know he’s a baller too!

Be determined, play hard, give your best, and leave it all on the field!!! And if you should still come out on the loosing end…you will have NO regrets…because that’s all the Coaches, your teammates, parents, and fans can ask of you…YOUR BEST!!!

It’s awfully quiet out there for this to be such and important game for both teams. I hope we’re not letting the superstitious notion that posting your support will somehow jinx your team into loosing….we’re not that shallow…are we :P ??? This is a must win for both teams to “keep hope alive” so I’d like to say good luck to both teams. I’m a little partial to the Cyclones because even when I was in school they were always a part of the playoff picture, and I’d like to see that tradition continue…as long as it’s not at the expense of my Vikings of course! I’m also a fan of Preston Smith…he’s a baller in every sense of the word. And as a sports fan I have enjoyed seeing him play!! By the way did anybody see the play he made in Unicoi (catching his own pass down field)? Haven’t seen that before until this past Sunday Michael Vick made the same play…unbelievable!!!

I also respect the Longhorns and the way they have advanced their program in leaps and bounds throughout the years. FORTUNATELY I didn’t get to see Atwood do his thing :lol: , but I read the papers and saw enough in the Vikings game to know he’s a baller too!

Be determined, play hard, give your best, and leave it all on the field!!! And if you should still come out on the loosing end…you will have NO regrets…because that’s all the Coaches, your teammates, parents, and fans can ask of you…YOUR BEST!!!

I saw that play on TDFN. :P

Both teams will be able to better utilize their speed since the game isn't at Mountain City. It could go either way.

Edited by THSVikings2004

Hey Cap....The only jinxes I give into are to cloths and speaking to my son before his pregame taping. I'll wear the same thing as I have the last two Friday nights and I'll speak to him before the game as always. It's not him, it's me :lol:

I wrote on the Longhorn offensive mindset and what I think the Cylcones need to do to stop them from my point of view, which I might add is absolutely worthless. Now about the Cyclones offense...... If Elizabethhton continues to spread the ball around and get several players touches it will open things up for Price & Smith. Cyclone offensive diversity is a must as we have seen early in the season. To accomplish this the O line will have to have a BIG game with few penalties. The ball handlers will have to minimize turnovers. The Longhorn secondary is aggressive so the Cyclone's recievers will have to go get the ball with an attitude and make those catches. Some YAC yards are important as well. The game on the offensive side will go as the offensive line lets it go. Price getting his yards is a must but he needs room to run.

It is all simple football and doesn't need to be muddled up. Play the game......

Cap, I think most of the active Cyclone fans have posted but the 'Horns are choosing to stay quiet on this one. Hopefully we'll be able to give them a game.

Elizabethton lost it's #1 fan today, Jerry Murray. There was no one who loved the kids as much as him and he really hated to miss a game. Jerry was a true trooper and will be sorely missed by the Cyclone family. Really going to miss this man. He was a friend and, like me, loved baseball to it's fullest. It won't be the same for us basketball and baseball fans not seeing Jerry there. He is a Cyclone fixture forever. God will have a great human being by his side full of jokes and fun. Rest in peace friend and God Bless. :)

Never saw Jerry without his Cyclone hat on. Ever.

He helped transport the girls team to the Boro in March 05 and while there found out his house had burned to the ground; he ended up comforting others; "I'll be fine.." he said. I will always remember that.

Cyclone Pride.

Edited by CycloneFan

So true Fan. He didn't want help he just wanted to help everyone else. What a guy.

First of all, I'm sorry to hear about the community's lost 'Clone. We have our Erwin Faithful as well and their passing would be a blow to our beloved Blue Devil family.

About LESS importantant matters, good luck to both the Longhorns and the Cyclones tonight. Any high school football fan in this region understands the respected traditions that surround both programs. I've had the priviledge of watching both teams play and, had this been any other year, I would have forfeited watching Unicoi / Central play to be there tonight. Elizabethton has peaked in time to make this game one to remember. I hope that both teams stay injury free. Blame my roots, but I am pulling for Johnson County in this one. Unicoi has never made the 4A playoffs and a 'Clone win would keep that streak alive. If Elizabethton does win this slug-fest, I'll know that our conference will be represented well. Not exactly a Win-Win, but no Friday night football game ever is. 7:30 can't come soon enough!