Worst Refs You Have Ever Seen

BulldawgDynasty

The crew that reffed the 1986 Class A state championship game. The refs let the offense line up a receiver outside of the ref and didn't notify the defense plus the receiver at like he had ran of the filed while the offense was still in the huddle. The receiver was half a yard from his team on the side line and blended in like a by stander. He was 25 yards deep before the denfense figured out what happened and the guy scored.

That wasn't the worsed though. In OT, there was no ref in position to call the 2 point conversion good. He was clearly into the endzone in the film but the dog pile pushed him back and the refs marked it on the 1 inch line. The irony is the tb had converted about 15 2-pt conversions that year. The final score was 22-21 in OT.

The TSSAA wrote the team saying they were sorry for the officiating mistakes that cost them the State title.

Might want to get your facts straight "rhl". If you say you can clearly see that the tailback scored on the two point play then it's a possibility you are a South Pittsburgh fan that's still bitter twenty years later. I personally have the game on film and have seen the of the play (many, many times this year as a matter of fact since it is the twentieth anniversary of the Championship) and their is no way to tell where the player is in relation to the goalline once he dissappears into the pile. All you can tell is that it was a very close play. And to set you straight on the pass play for a TD. This was a legal play and if I'm correct the TSSAA had to change the rule and be more clear on how to break an offensive huddle as a result of this play. Great so called "trick play" called by head coach Buford Gladney... And by the way the score was 21-20. Yet another error... But, I do thank you for reminding everyone on this board of the 1986 Class A State Championship game. It was a great day for the once tiny town of Spring Hill. Man, how things have changed in such a short period of time.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may be wrong. However I think this is the best way I know to get the Refs attention to your teams in the future. This could come back to haunt your teams. Maybe where it does make a diffrence. This is a subject you cant win with discussion in Coacht. It is however one your team can lose with. Think about it. What would you do if someone was dragging you over the coals for a mistake you made in a days work? Especially over the internet.

Nobody is trying to win any discussion. You cant argue that everyone that has ever watched football (including yourself) has witnessed very poor refereeing at sometime or another. I even said that it would be somewhat biased but that it would be fun to hear. I'm not talking about the little missed calls like holding or opinion calls like pass interference...Im talking about the ones that should never happen. i.e. allowing a play with 12 men, blowing a play dead that was never down, or my favorite so far, enall's story about stepping off a penalty into the endzone and signaling touchdown. There have even been former reffs (and probably some current ones) on here commenting and I haven’t heard any complaints. I would hope that even if there was a fan who bashed a ref on here, that ref would respect what he does enough to not take it out on the players who had nothing to do with it. Refereeing is an incredibly difficult job and they know coming into it that half of the people are going to disagree with almost everything they do but my hats off to em'.

but like 12 year old said..."if you cant count to 12 you fired."

Im not going to name a name,but there is this certain west Tennessee ref that when he is seen at Union City and OC games it make both sets of fans cringe.... :thumb:

Ac..he sounds like the same official that makes Lake Co fans cringe...Maybe it will get a little better..Word I have is that Carpenter stepped down from his role as assigning the officials for ball games...Supposedely..either Ricky Hammond or Daryl Lewis ,both from Dyersburg or another official..I think from the Gleason area will take over that spot!

last night at the coalfield/sunbright game. back judge missed an obvious pass int. call. sb qb stuck the ball across the goalline two times and they did not call a td...instead they called a fumble after the second time he stuck it across and someone knocked it out of his hands, thus giving the ball to coalfield on the 1yard line. several other bad calls during the whole night.

[...Im talking about the ones that should never happen. i.e. allowing a play with 12 men, blowing a play dead that was never down, or my favorite so far, enall's story about stepping off a penalty into the endzone and signaling touchdown. There have even been former reffs (and probably some current ones) on here commenting and I haven’t heard any complaints. I would hope that even if there was a fan who bashed a ref on here, that ref would respect what he does enough to not take it out on the players who had nothing to do with it. Refereeing is an incredibly difficult job and they know coming into it that half of the people are going to disagree with almost everything they do but my hats off to em'.

BulldogDynasty... I feel your pain but it's time to let it go. You're correct on saying the Mustangs had 12 men on the field and Morris has the option of having the refs banned from calling a game again with Milan involved. I'm sure he has done this...

You are too young to remember the 1998 quarterfinal game with Milan and Huntingdon and Victor Kidd of Milan falls flat on his face as a set wide receiver and Milan scores on the play with a minute left but the refs don't call throw a flag. The ref was 5 yards beside him looking down the line. Milan went on to win a gold ball after this. After this play I looked up at the pressbox and saw a friend of mine from Milan that is a spotter for the Dogs and I gave him the motion sign and he saw me and acknowledged yes he was in motion but threw his hands out to the side to say "what can I do". You were also too young to remember the "Big Push Game" in 1994 where Milan goes for two pts. in overtime after the Mustangs scored first and the line judge calls the play dead and waves his hands play over but the Dogs keep pushing for 10 more seconds and they rule it a good two pt. conversion for a Milan win. I was right there on the goal line to watch the play from the sidelines.

If you watch Milan play enough I think they will get more than their share of calls.

I'm sorry this was your last game but try to remember all the great games you played as a Bulldog and the tradition you help continue for Milan.

Edited by Mr. Mustang

[...Im talking about the ones that should never happen. i.e. allowing a play with 12 men, blowing a play dead that was never down, or my favorite so far, enall's story about stepping off a penalty into the endzone and signaling touchdown. There have even been former reffs (and probably some current ones) on here commenting and I haven’t heard any complaints. I would hope that even if there was a fan who bashed a ref on here, that ref would respect what he does enough to not take it out on the players who had nothing to do with it. Refereeing is an incredibly difficult job and they know coming into it that half of the people are going to disagree with almost everything they do but my hats off to em'.

BulldogDynasty... I feel your pain but it's time to let it go. You're correct on saying the Mustangs had 12 men on the field and Morris has the option of having the refs banned from calling a game again with Milan involved. I'm sure he has done this...

You are too young to remember the 1998 quarterfinal game with Milan and Huntingdon and Victor Kidd of Milan falls flat on his face as a set wide receiver and Milan scores on the play with a minute left but the refs don't call throw a flag. The ref was 5 yards beside him looking down the line. Milan went on to win a gold ball after this. After this play I looked up at the pressbox and saw a friend of mine from Milan that is a spotter for the Dogs and I gave him the motion sign and he saw me and acknowledged yes he was in motion but threw his hands out to the side to say "what can I do". You were also too young to remember the "Big Push Game" in 1994 where Milan goes for two pts. in overtime after the Mustangs scored first and the line judge calls the play dead and waves his hands play over but the Dogs keep pushing for 10 more seconds and they rule it a good two pt. conversion for a Milan win. I was right there on the goal line to watch the play from the sidelines.

If you watch Milan play enough I think they will get more than their share of calls.

I'm sorry this was your last game but try to remember all the great games you played as a Bulldog and the tradition you help continue for Milan.

You make some good points and the calls do usually even out over time. I do remember the 98' game and we got a break in that one. That made up for the 93' title game against Sweetwater.

I can't believe the Chris Donald era is over. Seems like yesterday when he ran over and through us as a freshman in the greatest playoff game ever.

Good luck next year, at least until week 7. :thumb:

I understand what your saying. I've come to terms with the way my last game ended...it just still stings to think about it. It made a good example though.

I truly am sorry about huntington's season being over. I have nothing but respect for the team and the players. I can now tell you because I don't have to worry about being confident...I was worried about meeting up with the mustangs in the playoffs with the whole team getting healthy. I guess the way the ended every season I ever played in kinda had me gun shy. I will miss the hype associated with that game. I know you had a better team than humboldt no matter what it looks like on paper. Good luck to all the seniors in years to come. I hope to watch Chris Donald on TV one day and tell my friends I blocked him in the legendary Milan-Huntington games of '04 and '05 and that he's the main reason I don't have a ring from '03. I look for Huntington to "rebuild" (I hate that term) just fine and they will be the typical powerhouse force in region 7-2a in '07.

Edited by BulldawgDynasty

thats easy.

the worst refs are in the stands or along the fence...

they dont know the rules,

they're hopelessly biased for one team,

they make calls on plays they cant see, on the far side of the field,

and they cant focus on the current play because they are worried about one that happened while ago.

good thing they have no authority.

Yep I agree the refs we had for the Cosby Grace Christian game were terrible. It seemed that most of the refs would call one call and the old guy was calling another. Not to mention trying to get in the childrens faces. Back off refs you may have parents to contend with!