AAA State Champions?

kickgrass

the three goals scored by collierville were scored with under 15 minutes left in the game i believe. this was a close game. congrats to collierville hats off to siegel for a great season :o

siegel is a very good team and it was a much closer match than the score shows. There was a terrific struggle in the midfield between #1 for siegel and #18 for Collierville. Both are extraordinary players and it was a pleasure to watch them battle the entire match.

The first goal that was scored was not because "someone got behind the defense". That was the result. Siegel was pushed up but two defenders met the Collierville player at midfield and they each ran with her to the goal. She was just faster than they were. It was just a good soccer.

The remaining goals were also not because players were pushed up. Not great plays ( balls bouncing in the box that got kicked in)

These were two good teams who both deserved to be in the final four. siegel had a great year. Saturday we'll see what Collierville does.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the last 3 seasons the AAA winner hasn't won their district or region tournaments

honestly i think its time that the tssaa goes back to 4 teams at state to insure a true champion can be crowned

instead of the best loser winning state

thats not a knock on bearden its a knock on the tssaa because is happening in all sports

the last 3 seasons the AAA winner hasn't won their district or region tournaments

honestly i think its time that the tssaa goes back to 4 teams at state to insure a true champion can be crowned

thats not a knock on bearden its a knock on the tssaa because is happening in all sports

Hmmmm... and cut their income by half?! Don't see it happening! B)

Hmmmm... and cut their income by half?! Don't see it happening! B)

or cut out sub-state sectional whatever its useless you basically get rewarded for losing

just add 4 teams to the region tournament

example region 4 tournament

tuesday night

#4 franklin co at #1 siegel

#3cookville at #2 shelbyville

#4 lebanon at #1 tullahoma

#3 columbia at #2 riverdale

thursday semi-final

saturday final winner goes to state

so you might have like

franklin vs siegel

collierville vs farragut

hendersonville vs soddy-daisy

cordova vs greenville

heaven forbid we reward kids for winning

Sure sounds like a knock to me. I have been to every game this year and I have to say that the best team won the state tonight. Farragut is a good team to be sure and a great competitor no doubt, but PKs in to decide the district champion? Come on! If PKs are to be used to decide (instead of removing a player from each team every 5 minutes until someone scores), luck becomes a big determiner. Fact is Bearden - because they came into the tournament in the 2nd place spot got the hardest draw. They had to beat the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place teams in the state to win. That is the equalizer right there. They beat the team that Farragut lost to for the championship. That sure sounds fair to me. Believe me, I have no love for TSSAA and how they run their business, but they are no different than any pro sport. In boxing you can lose to Joe Smith every bout, but if you beat the champ and Joe can't you get the belt.

Simple fact is Bearden got it done and deserves the championship.

Edited by soccer37830

The problem with that mindset is that it penalizes stronger districts & regions. The fact that Bearden didn't win those crowns is that it only takes a few untimely losses.

A true Championship tournament creates a scenario where any team gaining an entry should have a chance to get hot and win. Kinda like "March Madness".

The facts are simple: TN has pretty good soccer across the board with a few "hot" spots thanks to some strong clubs. The HS coaching is mediocre at best, and the officiating is... I'll be nice... interesting. Mix in a few untimely injuries and the fact that we are talking about adolescent girls, and well... you get 8 teams in, AAA that is, that all could make a run.

This isn't like volleyball where a best of 5 match usually makes it hard for an upset. If it were, the Ravenwood's would be denied their "Cinderella" run.

Personally, I'd like to see an actual State soccer tournament:

4 x 4 team pools with the top 4 teams from Region play cross seeded

Pool play on W&TH, quaters & semis FR & Final Sat!

TSSAA could even make more moo...lah!

Edited by papa-K

are you stupid? they beat the top 3 teams ranked in tennessee in order to win state. farragut is an arch rival, anything can happen in that game. bearden dominated, but couldnt finish. "best loser"? i do believe thats a knock on bearden. so mjuhb, if a team beats the best teams in the state.. what should that make them?

in this case..

Bearden High School 2006 State Champions

No matter how you look at it.....it's a knock!

But if that's how you want to see it.....Bearden beat the other teams....now all a loser (mj's words, not mine) but that being the case Bearden is the BEST loser....and the State Champions.

Take a look at the coaches at the state tournament. There were excellant coaches all around. I wouldn't consider all of them great coaches, but most were. Certainly there are less-than-qualified high school coaches, but most of their teams didn't make it very far.

I sure wouldn't consider all club coaches excellant. Many bad ones there. I'd say a higher percentage of club coaches are mediocre than in high school. Club coaches often do a better job of convincing parents that they are good coaches because of their year-long knocks on high school coaches and their "impressive bios" that the clubs publish. However, they often lack the management skills that high school coaches must have. I rarely see club teams make the adjustments that the good high school teams make during games.

Try taking players of all ages and different teams and putting it all together for a 3 month season. I know a lot of club coaches that couldn't do it.

So, Papa-K, go ahead and make your other claims, but I disagree with you on the knock on high school coaches.

bruinsoccer, I agree with your assessment of the coaching situation, and I bet Papa-k was speaking in general terms, as there are some very good HS coaches. As the emphasis increases on good soccer programs, Principals and ADs will have to respond with more knowledgable, quality coaches. I believe we are seeing that evolution now. Plus, given the overall expansion of soccer and its fans, I think the pool of good coaches is growing, no doubt club soccer has a significant influence on that as well. So it appears things are changing for the better....now if only we can keep TSSAA from messing it up.

No matter how you look at it.....it's a knock!

But if that's how you want to see it.....Bearden beat the other teams....now all a loser (mj's words, not mine) but that being the case Bearden is the BEST loser....and the State Champions.

i have said this for 4 years now you lose you have a better shot at winning state

example: last year region 4 we(tullahoma) knew if we got beat by siegel we would advance futher than they them at state and siegel deserved to be their more than we did

what do you think farragut is feeling right now they're like whats wrong we beat bearden 3 times(and i don't care who controled the games) but bearden wins the state title

its like what else do we have to do

well to put ot bluntly YOU LOSE

Edited by mjuhb