BIG NEWS FROM CENTENNIAL

c-c-chs08

Guest footballprincess

Every high school program must go through changes. Coach Gregory failed to adapt to those changes and use what he had. He could run it up the middle with a monster line and power backs like Steele and Koenn. But when those guys graduated, Gregory still had quality football players. If he would have run more outside sweeps and screen passes instead of trying to run through a smaller line, I think we would not be discussing Gregory's firing. It's all about knowing about the talent you have.

How many games did you watch this year and last? Last year CHS was in the spread offense and this year we tried to run sweeps, but people were getting to the quarterback before he could barely get the ball and then we had backs who would not block so the back who had the ball could run it! You still have to block and you still have to tackle - you can't run outside every play and you can't run screen passes every play - some of the players tried as hard as they could. Everybody knew that this was going to be a tough year for CHS due to the re-zoning. Those who want to play the game work their butts off during the off season - it just comes down to those who want to play the game or not. Look at

Willis Nevils, Josh Booker, Justin Chartier, Al Veach, Grant Horton, Josh Parsons, Travis Proctor, Zack Dye, Micky Morris, Avian Dureaux, Jordon Owen, Jason Koenn (one of the most unselfish players on the field-wanted to win, not just run the ball) and others who were in the weight room every day after school - all winter and all summer long getting ready to play. These guys might not have gotten all the publicity, but they were WINNERS!!! If there is an offense developed where you don't have to block call yourself a genius!

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest footballprincess

Okay, I don't usually advocate the use of CoachT, but as a former Centennial player, I feel compelled to comment on this thread.

First off, yes Centennial has beaten Franklin in JV at least once, I know this because I was on the team when it happened. I think the freshman team might also have a few wins.

As for the whole Gregory situation, I don't really have much to add. I went through the same thing when coach Rollins left. Getting a new coach is a lot more complicated then it sounds. It takes a while for a team to learn to trust the new coach. Gregory is a great guy and was a good coach who led a team that was seemingly going nowhere into a Region contender. I think he just got caught up in a few bad seasons but it wasn't all his fault. The players made a lot of fundamental mistakes that just comes from the youth and inexperience. I wish Coach Gregory the best in wherever his future leads him.

As for the new coach, you never know who it's gonna be until the moment he's hired. Speculation does absolutely nothing. Personally, I think some of these people just posted random names to start discussion. Gregory could have mentioned a few names, but he could have been talking about anything. (By your posts, I assume he still has a position at the school). The point is just mentioning names will lead you nowhere. And believe it or not, it can also hurt the reputation of coaches, (which is why I never liked this board). So be careful what you post.

Centennial fans, all I can say is keep the faith. You can go 10-0 next year or you can go 0-10. But you'll never know for sure until the season starts. So no matter what, get out there, support your team, and let the boys know your behind them. To all my Cougars, I'M OUT!

thanks, for setting the record straight about Franklin - that JV team rocked!!!!

Guest footballprincess

Every high school program must go through changes. Coach Gregory failed to adapt to those changes and use what he had. He could run it up the middle with a monster line and power backs like Steele and Koenn. But when those guys graduated, Gregory still had quality football players. If he would have run more outside sweeps and screen passes instead of trying to run through a smaller line, I think we would not be discussing Gregory's firing. It's all about knowing about the talent you have.

And one more thing - Zack Dye was 5'10" weighed 180 lbs. - not real big in stature but one of the toughest kids around because he had HEART! So big ain't always better!

How many games did you watch this year and last? Last year CHS was in the spread offense and this year we tried to run sweeps, but people were getting to the quarterback before he could barely get the ball and then we had backs who would not block so the back who had the ball could run it! You still have to block and you still have to tackle - you can't run outside every play and you can't run screen passes every play - some of the players tried as hard as they could. Everybody knew that this was going to be a tough year for CHS due to the re-zoning. Those who want to play the game work their butts off during the off season - it just comes down to those who want to play the game or not. Look at

Willis Nevils, Josh Booker, Justin Chartier, Al Veach, Grant Horton, Josh Parsons, Travis Proctor, Zack Dye, Micky Morris, Avian Dureaux, Jordon Owen, Jason Koenn (one of the most unselfish players on the field-wanted to win, not just run the ball) and others who were in the weight room every day after school - all winter and all summer long getting ready to play. These guys might not have gotten all the publicity, but they were WINNERS!!! If there is an offense developed where you don't have to block call yourself a genius!

I do agree with most of what you said. I wasn't disrespecting the O-Line. It's just no matter how big or small your line is, if the other team blitzes the front 8 on every play, then the line is going to have trouble holding them. Running the spread will keep some of the D-players out of the box, keeping pressure off the QB and the line. Also, the spread keeps the defense guessing and gives the coach alot more options in the playbook. Don't get me wrong, you still need a good O-Line. Because we have more speed than size, this might work better.

Edited by CHS 2007

Princess, you obviously have been following the program for a while. You listed some very old-school names on that list. Some of those guys I've had the pleasure of playing with and they are living proof that heart is the only thing that matters in football. CHS07, I can see where you're coming from with the spread offense. One thing that you also need to run a successful spread is a smart, heads-up QB. The QB is always going to be pressured. He just needs to keep his eyes on the entire field and not make rash decisions with the ball. That is (in my opinion) the main component to a successful spread. Personally, I never was a fan of spread formations, but it does work well with some teams.

Okay, I don't usually advocate the use of CoachT, but as a former Centennial player, I feel compelled to comment on this thread.

First off, yes Centennial has beaten Franklin in JV at least once, I know this because I was on the team when it happened. I think the freshman team might also have a few wins.

As for the whole Gregory situation, I don't really have much to add. I went through the same thing when coach Rollins left. Getting a new coach is a lot more complicated then it sounds. It takes a while for a team to learn to trust the new coach. Gregory is a great guy and was a good coach who led a team that was seemingly going nowhere into a Region contender. I think he just got caught up in a few bad seasons but it wasn't all his fault. The players made a lot of fundamental mistakes that just comes from the youth and inexperience. I wish Coach Gregory the best in wherever his future leads him.

As for the new coach, you never know who it's gonna be until the moment he's hired. Speculation does absolutely nothing. Personally, I think some of these people just posted random names to start discussion. Gregory could have mentioned a few names, but he could have been talking about anything. (By your posts, I assume he still has a position at the school). The point is just mentioning names will lead you nowhere. And believe it or not, it can also hurt the reputation of coaches, (which is why I never liked this board). So be careful what you post.

Centennial fans, all I can say is keep the faith. You can go 10-0 next year or you can go 0-10. But you'll never know for sure until the season starts. So no matter what, get out there, support your team, and let the boys know your behind them. To all my Cougars, I'M OUT!

And what year mite that be? Not this year because Franklins JV team was undeafeted and blew everyone that they played out.

Princess, you obviously have been following the program for a while. You listed some very old-school names on that list. Some of those guys I've had the pleasure of playing with and they are living proof that heart is the only thing that matters in football. CHS07, I can see where you're coming from with the spread offense. One thing that you also need to run a successful spread is a smart, heads-up QB. The QB is always going to be pressured. He just needs to keep his eyes on the entire field and not make rash decisions with the ball. That is (in my opinion) the main component to a successful spread. Personally, I never was a fan of spread formations, but it does work well with some teams.

With time Barlar can become a dependable stay at home QB with a strong arm. We all what he can do with that game against LaVergne. Scales is a good scrambler, and his passing skills have really evolved. Either QB can be successful in this formation.

With time Barlar can become a dependable stay at home QB with a strong arm. We all what he can do with that game against LaVergne. Scales is a good scrambler, and his passing skills have really evolved. Either QB can be successful in this formation.

with time...time is running out for Chase next year is his senior year. and every week the school goes not having named a head a coach is a week of preperation, and week gaining respect and trust in the new coach lost. Theres not alot of time, for him to have to learn a new offense.

with time...time is running out for Chase next year is his senior year. and every week the school goes not having named a head a coach is a week of preperation, and week gaining respect and trust in the new coach lost. Theres not alot of time, for him to have to learn a new offense.

I really hope the new coach is named soon for that exact same reason. There are teams that have learned new offenses in shorter time, but Chase is a fast learner and he can adapt quickly. Chaz will have the offense down by his senior year for sure. Its gonna be interesting to see what QB the new coach goes with.

So can we officially eliminate Brian Rector from the list? The only job he should take in the future is the BA job--I think he's the perfect fit there to replace Flatt...but not for a few more years.

Go with Scales at QB....you HAVE to be mobile at the QB position this day in age, especially in such an athletic region. While his pure passing might not be up to Barlar's level, his running skills are actually very, very good for someone so young.

Think of the great QBs from this region...Mikrut could move a little, Eversen was a beast, McCurdy could outrun some DBs, obviously we all know about TC Jennings, and let's not forget the newest stud, Michael Becker.

Cordell also has proven that being a statue QB works against teams like Hillwood and CNE but against a blitzing defense...yikes.

i hope we go after Jack Daniels, but i think there's small chance the stay within the school, and bring back Baughman (hes always been the in your face, im gunna tell you how it is kinda guy, and thats what we need!!) or promote Phillps up to head coach...but who knows, we'll know soon enough

as for your second point "get the kids walking the halls to believe in the program..."

if you talking about the team, i can kind of understand that...but if your talking about students, then your out of your mind, the student body has stood behind this team thought thick and thin, and this year has been one of the worst seasons, but we've still farely strong fan base at each game

I think Richard Herzog would be the guy to turn things around over there. Unquestioned character and leadership skills. He's a proven winner contributing to state championship appearances at Ravenwood and Hillsboro and a wealth of college experience as well.

Edited by 70sMemphisTiger