BIG NEWS FROM CENTENNIAL

c-c-chs08

and who do you think led the 2002-2004 Cougars to those playoffs and winning seasons? Maybe our problem isn't the coach but the lack of true football players!

Every high school program must go through changes. Coach Gregory failed to adapt to those changes and use what he had. He could run it up the middle with a monster line and power backs like Steele and Koenn. But when those guys graduated, Gregory still had quality football players. If he would have run more outside sweeps and screen passes instead of trying to run through a smaller line, I think we would not be discussing Gregory's firing. It's all about knowing about the talent you have.

Edited by CHS 2007

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steele wasn't a power back, though he could run in between the tackles. And Koenn was never a leading rusher. At any given time from 02-04, Beach, Bates, Buchannon, or Steele were doing the bulk of the running. Koenn was mostly a blocking back on offense.

CHS 2007, you seem to know more about the situation than most other people who have posted on this thread and I don't doubt you've heard Coach Gregory talking about it. That said, only Lifesey and Gregory and people close to them really know what's going on. Don't be so quick to argue with everyone else who has a different opinion than you.

Apparently not much if Shuman is the main guy. But maybe Nowell will return as a coordinator taking over the position that Finney left open. As far young talent, our JV team believe it or not killed Franklin, so obviously the talents there. I've always thought we had good young talent, Gregory just never put it together. But we do have some great young players and more help could be arriving soon. The word is that the new rezoning plan would give Centennial about 300 more students from both Page and Freedom

Your wrong on that one FHS and CHS JV never played this year but the Freshman did and Franklin killed them by like forty something points so get ur facts right before u talk trash about something u know nothing about! CHS has never beat Franklin at any level in football Freshman, JV, or Varsity FHS and CHS JV havn't played for the past 2 years because CHS was to scared stay tuned and i will have actual scores of the last couple of years O yeah keep talkin and next year we will beat yall by thirty+! New coach same ol tradition gettin spanked by Franktown!!! :thumb:

Edited by Tank_76

Okay, I don't usually advocate the use of CoachT, but as a former Centennial player, I feel compelled to comment on this thread.

First off, yes Centennial has beaten Franklin in JV at least once, I know this because I was on the team when it happened. I think the freshman team might also have a few wins.

As for the whole Gregory situation, I don't really have much to add. I went through the same thing when coach Rollins left. Getting a new coach is a lot more complicated then it sounds. It takes a while for a team to learn to trust the new coach. Gregory is a great guy and was a good coach who led a team that was seemingly going nowhere into a Region contender. I think he just got caught up in a few bad seasons but it wasn't all his fault. The players made a lot of fundamental mistakes that just comes from the youth and inexperience. I wish Coach Gregory the best in wherever his future leads him.

As for the new coach, you never know who it's gonna be until the moment he's hired. Speculation does absolutely nothing. Personally, I think some of these people just posted random names to start discussion. Gregory could have mentioned a few names, but he could have been talking about anything. (By your posts, I assume he still has a position at the school). The point is just mentioning names will lead you nowhere. And believe it or not, it can also hurt the reputation of coaches, (which is why I never liked this board). So be careful what you post.

Centennial fans, all I can say is keep the faith. You can go 10-0 next year or you can go 0-10. But you'll never know for sure until the season starts. So no matter what, get out there, support your team, and let the boys know your behind them. To all my Cougars, I'M OUT!

Steele wasn't a power back, though he could run in between the tackles. And Koenn was never a leading rusher. At any given time from 02-04, Beach, Bates, Buchannon, or Steele were doing the bulk of the running. Koenn was mostly a blocking back on offense.

CHS 2007, you seem to know more about the situation than most other people who have posted on this thread and I don't doubt you've heard Coach Gregory talking about it. That said, only Lifesey and Gregory and people close to them really know what's going on. Don't be so quick to argue with everyone else who has a different opinion than you.

Koenn wasn't a leading rusher, but he was a solid back who could power through the line. What I meant was he could always power through the line. I'm not arguing, I'm just telling you all what I heard. And to Tank, wait til next year to trash talk.

As for the whole Gregory situation, I don't really have much to add. I went through the same thing when coach Rollins left. Getting a new coach is a lot more complicated then it sounds. It takes a while for a team to learn to trust the new coach. Gregory is a great guy and was a good coach who led a team that was seemingly going nowhere into a Region contender. I think he just got caught up in a few bad seasons but it wasn't all his fault. The players made a lot of fundamental mistakes that just comes from the youth and inexperience. I wish Coach Gregory the best in wherever his future leads him.

As for the new coach, you never know who it's gonna be until the moment he's hired. Speculation does absolutely nothing. Personally, I think some of these people just posted random names to start discussion. Gregory could have mentioned a few names, but he could have been talking about anything. (By your posts, I assume he still has a position at the school). The point is just mentioning names will lead you nowhere. And believe it or not, it can also hurt the reputation of coaches, (which is why I never liked this board). So be careful what you post.

RED...very well said!!

i agree with everything you said

also it does no one, any good to sit hit hear agru about who the new coach will be, pointing fingers about whos right whos wrong, who won and who didnt. all this finger pointing and arguing does nothing but show ingnorance and immaturity

CHS07, heres an idea next time your walking to the hall and hear coach drop a name to another teacher, dont run straight to coachT and tell everyone, get your facts, to back up what you heard!

Supposedly they wanted him in place before Christmas, so the announcement could be coming in the next few weeks.

Maybe, Shrader will need to put his final say, and I don't know he will be back. Again, the leading candidates might have been narrowed down, but the whole thing is still up in the air. If Shuman is really the guy they're going after, then we probably won't hear anything til next year so they can talk to him some more. We probably won't know anything further til after the playoffs.

I bet he knows just about as much as you do about the search. I think you just do alot of talking on here. From an earlier post Nowell wont ever come to chs, he goes no where without johnson and i dont see him going to chs. Also I think your principal has the final say on who gets the coaching job, so he might have a little say in it, just a little. Also doubt chs jv team killed franklin. I wish you would post some quality info on here.

Just so ya know: TJ will stay at BGA to try and turn that program around, but don't expect Coach Nowell to stay for that butt kicking! He wants to use his twilight years of coaching on a team that has a shot at winning. Also, he did spring training with chs a couple of springs ago so he is familiar with the situation (and he thinks you can win there). I thought he was happier just being an OC, but I have heard that he might head coach again if the situation is right. He has a great football mind and will do a good job wherever he is.