I-MAC

PTSportsWriter

Not a neutral environment PT, 150 Boone students sat behind our bench and their cheerleaders crossed the mid court line and cheered by our huddles on timesouts. Never have seen a situation like this before, Nobody behind the Boone bench except SH fans that stuck around. Not neutral for thinking or communicating. By the way the Boone kids were fine and that is how a student body is suppose to act behind their own bench. No problems but could have been a crowd control nightmare.

Edited by noonesfool

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a neutral environment PT, 150 Boone students sat behind our bench and their cheerleaders crossed the mid court line and cheered by our huddles on timesouts. Never have seen a situation like this before, Nobody behind the Boone bench except SH fans that stuck around. Not neutral for thinking or communicating. By the way the Boone kids were fine and that is how a student body is suppose to act behind their own bench. No problems but could have been a crowd control nightmare.

True, I was mainly talking flustered on the court that had nothing to do with that (The steal and score and bad pass and foul and free-throws at the end of the 3rd quarter...). But you have a point.

Of course, all 14 other teams in the region get to experience Greeneville's home enviroment every other year in the region now.... :P

In all seriousness though, I did think that was bad planning (or any planning?) at all to have the Greeneville bench in front of their students. Thats just asking for something bad to go wrong. I mean, the SEC makes football student sections sit behind the home bench to avoid this stuff.

The cheerleaders shouldnt have been allowed on the court, at least on the other side of the court, they nearly took out a GHS player once and darn near got the short official with glasses.

Edited by PTSportsWriter

True, I was mainly talking flustered on the court that had nothing to do with that (The steal and score and bad pass and foul and free-throws at the end of the 3rd quarter...). But you have a point.

Of course, all 14 other teams in the region get to experience Greeneville's home enviroment every other year in the region now.... :P

In all seriousness though, I did think that was bad planning (or any planning?) at all to have the Greeneville bench in front of their students. Thats just asking for something bad to go wrong. I mean, the SEC makes football student sections sit behind the home bench to avoid this stuff.

The cheerleaders shouldnt have been allowed on the court, at least on the other side of the court, they nearly took out a GHS player once and darn near got the short official with glasses.

"....and darn near got the short official with glasses." THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN A GOOD THING> He couldn't see anyway! ;)

Something about tourney semifinals, the Lady Devils and one-point wins.

Some observations from this game.

For all the hype about Dickson, Deans and Carter....Devan McIntyre is the glue for Greeneville. I dont know how many Devan scored tonight, but she made a ton of hustle plays. She made 3 first quarter offensive rebounds that turned into 7 points for Greeneville.

Both teams did a good job on the offensive glass early and they needed too....both teams missed so many easy shots and layups from point-blank range.

Huge 3 by Deans at around the 440 mark of the 3rd quarter....ended a 6-0 Boone run to start the half and began a 5-0 run of their own.

Greeneville never panicked - which is a good sign for them and will be key over the next 12 days. But they did get very flustered, especially by the end of the 3rd quarter. Boone had a steal and a layup and then with time running down the GHS imbounder just sort of half-passed the ball inbounds leading to a steal, foul and free-throws to tie the game at 33.

A lot of contact both ways away from the basket. The officials let them play out there. I dont know if Greeneville had played under those situations this year? It seemed to agitate them (Who wouldnt it?) in the third. Decently officiated game though. Questionable calls went both ways so those evened out in the long run.

Greeneville still didnt panic when they trailed by 5 with 4 minutes left. They got a couple of breaks to go their way and Carter hit a huge jumper and knocked down free-throws under pressure to seal the deal. Boone looked confused and out of sync on their next to last possession and then hit the 3 in the final 5 seconds to cut the final margin to 1.

Kudos to Daniel Boone, they play together and as a team and they're very tough. They're a well-coached bunch. They are one of three teams to get above 40 on Greeneville (aside from Ladies Classic competiton..) They did it in all 3 meetings, Tennessee High did it in December, Cocke County did it in the District Tourney and Jefferson County hit 40 in the regular season finale.

Kudos to Greeneville. Probably not their best effort of the year, but Carter made key plays in the clutch and McIntyre made key plays in the opening quarter.

Kudos to the Boone student section. Looks as if they came out to support their team in force like the Cocke County student section.

PT you have to be right on this one. Devan was the glue tonight. She came up big with some rebounds and was able to limit their point guard late in the game. On the officiating part I think that you are wrong. There was some horrible calls that resulted in Boone getting some points that they should not have gotten. There was two times that they called fouls instead of walking calls. In both instances Boone was able to go to the free throw line and connect and gain four points. Also you have two fouls given in that situation that were not deserved. What about the push on Carter to knock her into the scorers table? If that is not a foul then I don't know what is. Then you have the two high posts that screened on every offensive possession for Boone. Every screene they set was illegal. That gave Gillis plenty of room to penetrate and either score or dish. I thought that the officials were supposed to be cracking down on the hand checks? They must have forgot how to call it. So to say that the officiating evened out I don't think so.

Regardless of the officiating Greeneville Lady Devils found a way to win. I think that a true mark of a good team. Congratulations to Boone for playing hard and never giving up. Good luck Lady Devils in the championship game.

PT you have to be right on this one. Devan was the glue tonight. She came up big with some rebounds and was able to limit their point guard late in the game. On the officiating part I think that you are wrong. There was some horrible calls that resulted in Boone getting some points that they should not have gotten. There was two times that they called fouls instead of walking calls. In both instances Boone was able to go to the free throw line and connect and gain four points. Also you have two fouls given in that situation that were not deserved. What about the push on Carter to knock her into the scorers table? If that is not a foul then I don't know what is. Then you have the two high posts that screened on every offensive possession for Boone. Every screene they set was illegal. That gave Gillis plenty of room to penetrate and either score or dish. I thought that the officials were supposed to be cracking down on the hand checks? They must have forgot how to call it. So to say that the officiating evened out I don't think so.

Regardless of the officiating Greeneville Lady Devils found a way to win. I think that a true mark of a good team. Congratulations to Boone for playing hard and never giving up. Good luck Lady Devils in the championship game.

I just get so sick of folks crying about officiating. Greeneville did not win in spite of the officials. Greeneville won a good game against a determined Lady Blazer bunch. There were a few calls that hurt both teams but for the most part it was well officiated. However, Carter was not pushed into the table. She was trapped and tried to pass out of it and seemed to lose her balance. No contact but I can see how you saw it different from across the court. I cannot remember any of the high screens being illegal. The Boone posts did a very good job of remaining still on the screens. Even if one or two could have been called I remember a couple of screens by Greeneville that could have been called illegal also. I could mention the walk called on Caldwell driving late against Dickson as questionable or the double dribble in the lane against Gillis that was slapped by a Greeneville player. Why can't folks recognize it as a good game between two good teams and leave it as that.

I guess that since Greeneville did not 'blow" Boone out some folks just have to find excuses why they did not.

I just get so sick of folks crying about officiating. Greeneville did not win in spite of the officials. Greeneville won a good game against a determined Lady Blazer bunch. There were a few calls that hurt both teams but for the most part it was well officiated. However, Carter was not pushed into the table. She was trapped and tried to pass out of it and seemed to lose her balance. No contact but I can see how you saw it different from across the court. I cannot remember any of the high screens being illegal. The Boone posts did a very good job of remaining still on the screens. Even if one or two could have been called I remember a couple of screens by Greeneville that could have been called illegal also. I could mention the walk called on Caldwell driving late against Dickson as questionable or the double dribble in the lane against Gillis that was slapped by a Greeneville player. Why can't folks recognize it as a good game between two good teams and leave it as that.

I guess that since Greeneville did not 'blow" Boone out some folks just have to find excuses why they did not.

Please don't cheapen the amazing game both these teams played with this kind of bickering. Nobody gets all the calls they want...if HS officials were perfect, they would be in the NBA...and if they called every infraction, these games would run 3 hrs long.

Greenevillefan, these Boone girls deserve the satisfaction of knowing they hung with Greeneville for 4 quarters without backing down.

Slipstream, it is unseemly for you to come on here with your righteous indignation about GVfan's post and then allow yourself to stoop to the very same. Follow your own advice and "leave it at that"

No excuses here buddy. I actually commented on Boone playing hard and determined. It was very obvious of how poorly the officials were. If I recall I did mention that it was poorly both ways. When you allow a team to be that physical then they should play the way they are being allowed. I for one did not expect Greeneville to blow boone away. I knew that it would be a hard game for the lady devils. The coach from boone always has his team ready during the post season. They did an excellent job of limiting deans on the offensive end. I disagree that she was not pushed out of bounds. You can trap but you can not push your hips into the offensive player. A player trying to throw the ball to one of their players is not going to fall that hard into the scorers table. I agree with the walk that was called on caldwell late in the game. It should have been a no call. I guess they were making up for all the other ones they missed earlier in the game. Greeneville did overcome some obstacles and win this ball game. Too bad Boone did not take care of business in the regular season or they would be playing on Wed. If you honestly watched that game and though it was called even on both sides then so be it. But you don't have a team that presses the entire first have only get called for one team foul. That is all the Boone team had called against them. I am not trying to take anything away from the Boone team. The playe a heck of a game and deserve to play on, however it was win or go home time. Congratulations to the Lady Blazers on a determined effort.

Please don't cheapen the amazing game both these teams played with this kind of bickering. Nobody gets all the calls they want...if HS officials were perfect, they would be in the NBA...and if they called every infraction, these games would run 3 hrs long.

Greenevillefan, these Boone girls deserve the satisfaction of knowing they hung with Greeneville for 4 quarters without backing down.

Slipstream, it is unseemly for you to come on here with your righteous indignation about GVfan's post and then allow yourself to stoop to the very same. Follow your own advice and "leave it at that"

I have given the boone team credit. This is a discussion board and I was just discussing some of the calls that I think went in favor of Boone. I also mentioned that this game was a hard fought game. I don't believe discussing some of the calls is stooping to any level at all. It was a poorly called ball game on both ends.

I have given the boone team credit. This is a discussion board and I was just discussing some of the calls that I think went in favor of Boone. I also mentioned that this game was a hard fought game. I don't believe discussing some of the calls is stooping to any level at all. It was a poorly called ball game on both ends.

Officiating is what it is...discussing it doesn't change the outcome and creates controversy that cheapens the game. You are the only one complaining... not even PTSportwriter had anything negative to say and he is the premier authority on bad officiating :) Complaining about these ticky-tack calls takes away from a hard fought victory. Winning a blow-out proves you have talent...winning the close one proves you have guts. Lady Devils have what it takes so lets take it to SH.

Officiating is what it is...discussing it doesn't change the outcome and creates controversy that cheapens the game. You are the only one complaining... not even PTSportwriter had anything negative to say and he is the premier authority on bad officiating :) Complaining about these ticky-tack calls takes away from a hard fought victory. Winning a blow-out proves you have talent...winning the close one proves you have guts. Lady Devils have what it takes so lets take it to SH.

Barb I have not complained all year, so why would I start now? I was just making a few statements. But in the end I gave credit where credit was due. I did not take anything away from this game. Just relax. I mentioned that both fought hard and both deserved to win. I am excited to see the Lady Devils have to face that atmospher with the crowd and being down. It was good to see them overcome that (the student section) and win.

Barb I have not complained all year, so why would I start now? I was just making a few statements. But in the end I gave credit where credit was due. I did not take anything away from this game. Just relax. I mentioned that both fought hard and both deserved to win. I am excited to see the Lady Devils have to face that atmospher with the crowd and being down. It was good to see them overcome that (the student section) and win.
For what it's worth, I'm with ya GF.