I-MAC

PTSportsWriter

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone have any details of the Greeneville game?

Sounded like an offensive shootout.... :lol:

Sloppy both ways. Neither team took care of the ball well, shot well, passed well, or for that matter did anything well....I have seen both these teams several times throughout the season and it was by far the worst i have seen either of them play. That being said, GHS made the bigtime shot when it counted on a great mid-air dish from dickson to collins with about 3 seconds on the clock for the easy lay-in to win it. Congrats to both teams, i hope they both play well saturday and represent their schools as good as they can. Good Luck!

Thanks RR, though I resent anything you or PTS says about Alabama :ph34r:

I think Jefferson County's problems went a lot deeper than one position.

Whether its due to unathleticism on some parts, the lack of comprehention on some parts, or a lack of skill on some parts, they just looked worse and worse on offense as the season went along. Teams played a lot of zone against them the second half and nobody wanted to throw it inside. I don't know how many times you saw people open on back-door cuts and who ever had the ball along the perimeter wouldn't pull the trigger. Not that it would have matter, because when players did get the ball inside, they sent a two foot shot three feet over the rim.

I wont name any names because RR knows who im talking about. Jefferson County started missing wide open layups against South Doyle the fourth game of the year and never stopped. Not to mention, Elliott was the only one that seemed to know how to go strong to the basket. Some of the others playing post, they would have a girl stading their guarding them, arms straight up in the air, and they would shoot the ball right into their hands. All season long.

Turnovers were a problem too. Early in the season, Jefferson County forced enough turnovers to make up for the ones they were committing. As the season went along, the team got slower and slower and was unable to do this.

Just by watching the team the second half of the season, there are a couple of girls who saw regular time this season that are going to have to step up this offseason or are gonna lose some PT to freshman next year. Not that they might not anyway, that will be up to the coaching staff. But I can name three girls coming up that will at least be able to put the ball in the bucket.

DZ, per request!

Upon reflection of the IMAC season gone by, I think the only team that lived up to expectations was Greeneville. Everyone expected them to be the class of the league, and they supported that assessment. They won despite losing 2 key players, and one role player from the previous year, but when you have two mobile, active posts that can step outside and hit the 3 along with being forces inside, then you can survive those kinds of personnel changes. I really think the Lady Green Devils will miss Deans more next year than they missed Forney this year.

Both Morristown teams disappointed, for different reasons. To lose only one player off a substate team, West was expected to contend again. You can argue that the injuries they had caused their fall from contention, but I still think they should have done more with what they had. They would show flashes, and then revert to mediocrity. East, with the wealth of talent they had, should have done more with it. I think the "line change" playing pattern proved their undoing - early because of not being consistent from game to game, and later because the coach abandoned the practice, and the players that got court time looked uncertain of how to adapt to their new roles.

Cherokee was disappointing early, but showed late the promise I thought was always there. I am not certain what caused the 2006 problems, the 2007 version looked pretty good. Maybe it took a trip to Alabama during the holidays to bring them together. Most trips to Alabama have that affect on people!!! :)

Cocke County surprised folks not knowledgeable of the "freshmen", and the team Jeff County saw at the end of the season was vastly improved over the one they saw at the beginning. Some of that I believe was the home court factor, as Cocke County had trouble on the road against quality opponents.

I may be too close to the Jefferson County team to be objective. The early 6-1 start raised expectations, but I think a team with lack of HS experience at the point proved to be a problem in late December, and once the team started trending down, it was hard to turn it around. They showed flashes late of the energy and talent they need to contend. I actually think Jeff County ended up about where most folks would have believed prior to the season. The early success made folks believe that better things were possible.

I believe 2007 will be even more interesting, with some change in the traditional powers. Assuming everyone comes back, then I think Greeneville will prove to be less intimidating, with Cherokee and Cocke County providing some strong competition. West and East graduate a lot of seniors, and replacing those will be difficult. West gets the benefit of a strong upcoming freshmen class that won the Middle school league and tourney. East has some promising inside players, but I think their outside experience all graduates. Jefferson County has got to find alternate ways to score, and hopefully some inside help, although there is no size on the way. Although I don't predict 5 teams at 4-6, I don't think there will be an undefeated team and I think the league will be very competitive, from a positive standpoint.

I wish good fortune to the Seniors leaving our league. I have watched most of you for 3 years now, and you have provided us good basketball entertainment. Best wishes to you with what comes your way. I think many of you have the talent to play at the D2/NAIA/D3 level, I hope you get the chance if you wish to continue playing. B)

Should any of these ladies sign somewhere, it would be nice if it can get posted on this thread.

By the way, I deliberately refrained from any comments about the refs. I was taught that if I couldn’t say anything nice, don’t say anything at all. Although I stray from that advice on occasion, I decide to abide by it this time.

Just by watching the team the second half of the season, there are a couple of girls who saw regular time this season that are going to have to step up this offseason or are gonna lose some PT to freshman next year. Not that they might not anyway, that will be up to the coaching staff. But I can name three girls coming up that will at least be able to put the ball in the bucket.

DZ just be careful about calling those girls SHHHHHHHH "Freshman" !! :ph34r:

You know the best thing to come out of Alabama don't you???? I-59 North B)B):)B)

Whether its due to unathleticism on some parts, the lack of comprehention on some parts, or a lack of skill on some parts, they just looked worse and worse on offense as the season went along. Teams played a lot of zone against them the second half and nobody wanted to throw it inside. I don't know how many times you saw people open on back-door cuts and who ever had the ball along the perimeter wouldn't pull the trigger. Not that it would have matter, because when players did get the ball inside, they sent a two foot shot three feet over the rim.

I wont name any names because RR knows who im talking about. Jefferson County started missing wide open layups against South Doyle the fourth game of the year and never stopped. Not to mention, Elliott was the only one that seemed to know how to go strong to the basket. Some of the others playing post, they would have a girl stading their guarding them, arms straight up in the air, and they would shoot the ball right into their hands. All season long.

Turnovers were a problem too. Early in the season, Jefferson County forced enough turnovers to make up for the ones they were committing. As the season went along, the team got slower and slower and was unable to do this.

DZ,

I think your assessment of the Jeff Co. season is well taken with what few games I attended. The problem definitely went deeper than one single position. Lack of rebounding, and boxing out along with turnovers, and no scoring will not win you many games. The same team never came back from Christmas break that I watched prior to Christmas. I agree with your comments on shot selection, and shooting with a defender standing on top of you and hanging onto both arms. I asked WHY myself on some occasions. It did appear that the Jeff Co. game plan from day one was live or die by the 3 point shot from the Elliott girl or her taking it to the hoop with the teams support. If true, no team will have much success with this concept and it's not fair to the Elliott girl to have to try and do all the scoring. It appeared at times that whenever anyone seemed to start to get in a potential scoring"groove" they left the game and the momentum went away. With no size coming in to post up next year should the coaching staff not try to focus on using their speed from the guards to go to the hoop more and open up the perimeter shot more for Elliott or others? The Nelson girl is as fast as they come and when her and the Beatty girl went to the hoop on occasion they appeared to be a much more effective offensive team. I'm not a coach and it's just my opinion but the team appeared to be one dimensional most of the season. Even with 3 girls coming in that can put it up they have to be in the offensive game plan to be effective. I appreciate and have enjoyed all the info and comments I've read on this thread this year. Look forward to next year......

This why it is nice that multiple folks read what you write, and make you notice how what you intended to get across never comes through.

My comments about Jeff County were not intended to isolate the problem to the point guards. That is unfair to Haley and Jordan. There were plenty of problems, and in an effort to be brief, I probably said way to little. I wish I could isolate the problem to one area, then maybe it would be apparent to Coach Potts, and he could get it fixed. But it is not isolated to one area.

We need a system that does not depend on height, and encourages getting in the paint and creating open shots. I don't know what that is, but we need it.

And I think there could be quite a shakeup in the 8 player rotation come next November.

Powell has been to the state tourney 3 straight years.

Last year they lost to Cleveland in the Quarters and they were a state semifinalist the two years before that. Lost to Craigmont by 3 in 03-04 and lost to MJ by 29 in 04-05.

They are led by Caitlin Hollifield, a 6-0 senior. She's a force scoring and rebounding.

Unsure of what else they have.

Head coach is Clay Young. He and their team have been through a lot the past 2 years. Coach Young lost his wife to cancer early in the 2004-05 season (I think?) and they really rallied around him.

They won the substate round at Hal Henard Last year, facing off with Morristown West.

Edited by PTSportsWriter