ELIZABETHTON HIGH SCHOOL BASKETBALL

EHSFAITHFUL

this basketball team is exactly like the football team in one instance - the coaches will not discipline the players. Its almost like they're scared to, as if the parents would go crazy.

HOWEVER, unlike the football team, the team stepped up against a good J County team AND three horrible refs. They showed guts tonight. Hopefully they will build on that.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not from Elizabethton nor do I traditionally pull for them, but I have seen them play on multiple occasions this season. I know Coach Hardin's discipline has been questioned, but I couldn't help but whence when I saw Cyclones sitting in the stands during halftime... high fiving fans during the game (while they were losing).. walking to and from the locker room at random... etc. It seems as though the athletes are there, but the inmates have taken over the prison. Just an unbiased opinion for ya'll.

Hey GLee- I saw on the Unicoi thread where you questioned their shooting. Which two games have you seen? What was your opinion as an outsider on their play? Just seeking your respected opinion on the Devils thus far.

I don't know. You don't like the football coach. You don't like the present basketball coach or the former. I think we need to quit talking about the bad points of the coaches and talk about the good points of the team, instead of our pick for coaches. I can't imagine seeing kids come on here and see all this negativity on coaches. Words are very powerful and can get into the heads of players and adults. If they don't respect their coaches, they are not going to do very well. I think we should try to stay positive. The season hasn't even started, and people are already giving up on the team. Give them a chance. Try to bring back the Cyclone pride once felt by the team. That's just my opinion.

Thought I'd bring the above post to attention.

I like alot of the football coaches and respect them as teachers and a couple as coaches. There are only a couple that I trully have no use for at all. No, I didn't agree on how the football team was ran. I don't think any of them have any doubt about that. I tried last year to speak to the head man about problems but he was too busy. I didn't try again but I do appreciate that he was willing to give his time. That covers it though.

Always, Before this post I had written that instilling discipline was a must. The above was your response. I thought Wilson had a handle on these young men early but the wheels are falling off. The coach may take a lead from Snavely who ran a couple of his players off of the Ranger team. There are some cancers that he has let fester this season. A player walking out of the gym during a TO, jerking their jersey off in the middle of the game while on the court, sitting down on the court during the game, a player yelling at the head coach during a TO and there is more. Now you tell me what the problem is out there? The Cyclones have a very descent group. Not one to win the conference, but a team very capable of competing. Now, AlwayaFan, please straighten me out on the discipline thing that is tearing the top boys programs apart at Elizabethton High School??

You have to really appreciate Presnell, Potter and for me, especially Coach Payne for the work ethic they instill in their programs and the DISCIPLINE it takes to be where they need to be in HS atletics. The respect that they build for themselves during PRACTICE and GAMES. Hats off to these men!!

Competing is a huge part of attending high school. It's a PRIDE thing for the kids as well as the community.

But please..........do respond :rolleyes:

I agree with the football coaches part. I only know a couple and they are nice guys in everyday life. But they cannot coach football.

I have not been to any basketball games because I got so sick of watching the football team I am against the athletic department at EHS. It will be the same old thing in football and nothing will change. They are afraid of a few parents and the kids they are protecting are not the best players on the team. I bet the the attendance is down in basketball just like football and will keep going down because some in the school system just do not get it. Once you lose your fans it is real hard to get them back and you probably will never get all of them back. EHS athletics has made their bed.

Edited by rvd

Yes, coaches go through a learning curve while on the job. After a few years, one would think, they get the idea of how to handle the job. But, yes, I do agree also, it is not all on the coaches. The kids have to want to be coached or it is a waste of time for both.

Of course, the coaches have to put the team in a position to succeed as well.

Nice 'feel good' win for Elizabethton last night. Hopefully they are on course to right thier ship before it sinks. Good luck........

Might have been a "feel good" win but if either team continues to play like they did their post seasn will be very short. Five points at half time for a high school team (HV) against a team that wasn't really getting up in their face shows a sign of a team just trying to get the season over. Elizabethton's shot selection or lack of showed another team just playing to be playing. Neither team showed any heart or desire of trying to do the things it would take to make a run when the tournament season starts. I'm sure some of the players are working at trying to make the team the best it can be but there are others they aren't. And from my viewpoint it looked that way on both teams. Insight from anyone involved on the inside of each program might lead to some better answers. A major turnaround from both teams had better start in a hurry or both ships will "sink".