Play-offs were better when teams traveled.

fb247

All expenses were paid for with the gate, this is why TSSAA went to the new format. This meant more money for them. It used to be that meals , travel , etc. came off the top. The split of money is 50% TSSAA, 25% to the two teams playing. The host team often loses money due to officials, police, lights, etc.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with what he said, they were better. So far for a team like farragut all are rematches 3 of 3, smyrna 2 of 3, riverdale 2 of 3, Hunters lane played hendersonville on 10-27 and again on 11-10. I know if you play an out of region team during the regular season it will most likely be a close region opponent. I think he meant there were to many rematches in the first 2-3 rounds. This is just 5a.

While I like the idea of teams from across the state meeting each other sooner, the $ issue seems to be insurmountable. I know that our Booster Club spends every dime we raise ( here in Memphis ) on things that we deem necessary, but that the school system has no budget for.

A couple of years ago one of the officials down here made another good point that I don't have an answer for; how would the seeding work ? Can you imagine all of the arguing that would take place over who should be seeded first, etc., especially when teams had identical records ? I am sure smarter people than me could figure out a way, just saying that that is another angle that state officials probably considered when thinking this through.

You have not read all of the posts. TSSAA is responsible for expenses. This took away their money so they changed the format. The match-ups were easy. 4 Memphis or west Tenn. teams played 4 Middle Tenn. teams in the 2nd. and 3rd. rounds. The 3rd. round games would now be HL and Ravenwood playing the 2 teams that were winners out of west Tenn. This used to be done and there was no problems. As for the remark about you have to win to get the the semi's , I agree. I know that it used to be better when teams cross-bracketed. You would not have to play a team out of own region until semi's. If the best 2 teams were in the same region they could get to the semi's without having to play in rounds 2 or 3. Fans liked it , coaches liked it .TSSAA wanted to save money so it was changed.

since it seems that your concern is for the best teams to be able to make the semis, then i will say that the best teams should find a way to make it to the semis regardless. we're all playing under the same system

If the two best teams in the state in a classification meet before the semis they can't meet in the semis. One of them gets eliminated, and that is the concern being expressed by the original poster. You can't have the two best teams "find a way to make it to the semis regardless" if they have to play each other before that.

You have not read all of the posts. TSSAA is responsible for expenses. This took away their money so they changed the format. The match-ups were easy. 4 Memphis or west Tenn. teams played 4 Middle Tenn. teams in the 2nd. and 3rd. rounds. The 3rd. round games would now be HL and Ravenwood playing the 2 teams that were winners out of west Tenn. This used to be done and there was no problems. As for the remark about you have to win to get the the semi's , I agree. I know that it used to be better when teams cross-bracketed. You would not have to play a team out of own region until semi's. If the best 2 teams were in the same region they could get to the semi's without having to play in rounds 2 or 3. Fans liked it , coaches liked it .TSSAA wanted to save money so it was changed.

Money and the time it takes to get across a state so long east to west is what drives this whole issue. I agree it would make for a better playoff to cross the brackets, but I am confident the $$ will make it impossible, much to my chagrin.

I like the idea of rotating regions every year...1 plays 2, next year they play 3 and then 4. You could mix it it a bit and have teams able to schedule next door regions for non-region games and not see them until the semis. One proposal in the Thursday Tennessean has 2-A going with 9 regions and the top 3 making it with the other 5 spots being wildcards and TSSAA seeding all teams according to geograhical order. A few years ago RC wanted to have a statewide seeding and have a big show on the saturday after week 10 to annouce the seedings. If he wanted this 2 years ago I would expect it to be up after the 08 season.

They should let region 1 play region 3 and 2 play 4, 5 play 7 and 6 play 8.

I am from Region1 and if they do that then maybe one or two teams from this region would make it to the second round.

A lot of the times the championship game is really in the quarterfinals.

Play-offs were better when teams traveled. In the 2nd. round it would be better if teams traveled like they used to. Hendersonville for example would be playing a team from west Tennessee the next 2 rounds instead of playing teams they have already played. This is possible the next 2 rounds. I think this would also keep some of the better teams in the same region from eliminating each other. This used to better allow the best teams to make it to the semi's. If the best 2 teams were in the same region they would not play until the semi's. Some possible match-ups:Home teams listed first- HL. vs. Wooddale, Ridgeway vs. Hendersonville, Antioch vs. Bolton, White Station vs. Ravenwood.

I agree 100% !!!!! :lol:

I totally despise seeing so many rematches in the early rounds of the playoffs, especially with having so many classifications now, where you have over half of 5A making the playoffs. There are way to many 4-6 and 3-7 teams making the playoffs. It is way too watered down now, and there are way to many rematches of Region games in the playoffs. That is what the Regions and the regular season are supposed to be for, sorting out who's good and who isn't. This shouldn't be happening in the playoffs.