South Pittsburg?

MC1170

Jo Byrns is undersized just like S Pitt. The way we counter this on offense is to run alot of screens, and run outside the tackle. Pull ur small gaurds, and give them a running start, things like this. A small team is better off spreading the field, so the O-line doesnt have to worry so much about blitz. If S Pitt has one guy that can catch he needs to be the receiver u go too. Move him around everywhere and make teams have to defend him outside. That will open up the running inside.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think SP didn't do a bad job this year. I do think a stronger line is needed. I think they peaked too soon (Jasper game). Power I needs to be put back in the playbook for short yardage situations. I feel SP could have run power I all night against Temple (not to say they would have won but they would have had better success on offense). Just my opinion/observation.

I think SP didn't do a bad job this year. I do think a stronger line is needed. I think they peaked too soon (Jasper game). Power I needs to be put back in the playbook for short yardage situations. I feel SP could have run power I all night against Temple (not to say they would have won but they would have had better success on offense). Just my opinion/observation.

The right and left sets (true wing T) accomplish the same basic thing as the power I and they have been in the playbook from day one. Problem is there are no true blocking fullbacks and the line is undersized. Robert is just a big tailback, not a true FB. Power I won't do anything better than the right/left sets unless you have a couple of true fullbacks (like Temple's and G'villes FBs) and some bigger linemen. I don't think Vic would have ever switched if that was the case. This O is perfect for the personnel and skills we have now.

Edited by zonepirate

The right and left sets (true wing T) accomplish the same basic thing as the power I and they have been in the playbook from day one. Problem is there are no true blocking fullbacks and the line is undersized. Robert is just a big tailback, not a true FB. Power I won't do anything better than the right/left sets unless you have a couple of true fullbacks (like Temple's and G'villes FBs) and some bigger linemen. I don't think Vic would have ever switched if that was the case. This O is perfect for the personnel and skills we have now.

I understand what you are saying. In my humble opinion #25 is your main tailback. With #21 as his backup. #35 and #24 as your fullbacks and #2 as a halfback. You could also use #24 as a half back as well. #1 could be used as a split end and also at tailback. With that being said you could also stick to the wing-T just use more players. What I am basically trying to say run plays in and out with 3 or 4 players at a time use depth in the backfield to your advantage. I do strongly agree the line will need to get better or SP will face the same season as this year. I really have no complaints about the quarterback just that #6 has the tools to be a very good one when he gets his turn.

I hope that the parents and community in South Pittsburg realize that there is more to winning a championship than speed. Howard High School has speed every year and it took a commitment from the players at Howard to make the strides that they have made. Yes they have benefited from the addition of a stong coach who cares a lot for the kids etc. The easy solution is to blame it all on the coaches. Thats easy. The entire program should shoulder some of the blame for a first round exit from the playoffs. Although Gordonsville is a very good team. They play an extremely tough brand of football that South Pittsburg does not see on a weekly basis. There have been years that South Pittsburg has been so talented that it didnt matter what offense or defense they ran they would win. IE 1994 & 1999. Thats not to say that they werent well coached, but they were extremly talented. Yes the talent base is there, but it takes more than that. It takes parent that dont ridicule or second guess the coaches on every decision that is made reguarding the program. When you do this you are destroying the very foundation that the program is built on. I know that sometimes the coaches may make calls that dont work or make some decisions reguarding field position, or going for 2 that backfire. What you have to realize is the fact that the coaches are making those decisions that they feel like give them the best chance to win. In todays day and age the coaches must realize that they are under a microscope more than ever and when they fail to meet the expectations of the masses they will hear it. It is part of the job. You know that going in. You must stay up with the most current schemes and continue to recruit the hallways for the best talent available and teach them to work as well as dicipline. A lot of the kids today dont have the dicipline that people once had. Thats just a sign of the times. It sounds cliche' but that is the truth. Coaches have to be replacement parents for a lot of these kids. They have to tell them when they are wrong and stand by all tough decisions. The parents that are there with their kids need to stand firm behind decisions based on their child as tough as that might be. It only teaches them that sometimes decisions will be made during your lifetime that you have little or no control over. You must persevere. Keep going. Dont quit. Finally the players must understand that within you lies a leader. Someone who will lead others to great heights. Your legacy will last forever. Either positive or negative. You only have one chance to play high school football and you can ask the majority of former players if they would like another chance and the overwhelming majority would say yes. Nothing worth having comes easy. You have to work. There is no substitute. You can always do more than you think you can. Work in the weight room. running routes, catching balls, plyos. There are a million things that you can do so that you as a individual are improving. Imagine if every player involved with the program were completely dedicated to the cause for 365 days. I dont mean talking people to death, but absolute work and dedication. I look forward to seeing the progress over the winter and into the spring. Good luck! You have a lot of Potential!

I understand what you are saying. In my humble opinion #25 is your main tailback. With #21 as his backup. #35 and #24 as your fullbacks and #2 as a halfback. You could also use #24 as a half back as well. #1 could be used as a split end and also at tailback. With that being said you could also stick to the wing-T just use more players. What I am basically trying to say run plays in and out with 3 or 4 players at a time use depth in the backfield to your advantage. I do strongly agree the line will need to get better or SP will face the same season as this year. I really have no complaints about the quarterback just that #6 has the tools to be a very good one when he gets his turn.

Jared and even Robert are undersized for fullbacks (174 and 185). Temple and Gordonsville both have FB's in the 235 range. Many of our linemen are not even 235. We really have about 6 tailbacks and no fullbacks. That is why our offense is perfect for what we have. We always have 3 weapons in the backfield instead of one or two runners and a blocker. Sometimes you need to let a back get in a groove too. Switching too much makes it possible that nobody gets in a groove. I think all 6 are capable runners so I would watch the film and play the best blockers the most. The backs have to be unselfish and block for each other or no offense will help you.

Getting some bigger linemen would make a huge difference. There are a few younger ones that can be pretty good but being on the O line takes time to get good at. Terrell will be a very good QB. He was my QB for a couple of years when he was younger. He has talent and he is getting better but he still has a lot to learn. QB is another position that takes time to master. He is not there yet

Jared and even Robert are undersized for fullbacks (174 and 185). Temple and Gordonsville both have FB's in the 235 range. Many of our linemen are not even 235. We really have about 6 tailbacks and no fullbacks. That is why our offense is perfect for what we have. We always have 3 weapons in the backfield instead of one or two runners and a blocker. Sometimes you need to let a back get in a groove too. Switching too much makes it possible that nobody gets in a groove. I think all 6 are capable runners so I would watch the film and play the best blockers the most. The backs have to be unselfish and block for each other or no offense will help you.

Getting some bigger linemen would make a huge difference. There are a few younger ones that can be pretty good but being on the O line takes time to get good at. Terrell will be a very good QB. He was my QB for a couple of years when he was younger. He has talent and he is getting better but he still has a lot to learn. QB is another position that takes time to master. He is not there yet

First of all, Gordonsville's is nowhere near 235.

He's about 185, he just plays like he's 235.

Second of all, I was impressed with SP's potential for next year.

#21 scared the bejeezus out of me on the int. and the kickoff return.

SP fans have alot to look forward to next year.

Yeah zone, our Fullback is 50 lbs below 235, he is just stout and very stong...

Old Pirate says contact the track coach @ SP. I am sure he could schedule a track meet with the indians. Bring a team on down and you can see for yourself.

I don't ever remember South Pittsburg finishing higher than Sequatchie in any track meet. There's more to track than the 100 meter, even though that's the event everyone focuses on, same as in football, there's more than sweeps with 4.6 players. I can think of 5 different guys from Sequatchie who went to the state in track in the last 5 years, how many from SP?