McCallie vs. Brentwood Academy

Buzzman

Hi RRR, glad to see you writing. You are right. Coach Flatt didn't coach against Ingle. I will say, however, having seen Coleman in both BA games this year, I haven't seen this kind of QB in a long time.......well over 10 years....maybe 20-25 with Kent Austin & Tim Jones(both BA All-American QB's) throwing to Jimmy Hockaday(BA All American WR)/Gregg Johnson(Penn State) and the other BA recieving corps. No disrespect to Ingle. He was an awesome team leader and outstanding HS QB as well as college QB. What is Ingle doing now?

Coleman is certainly good, and is probably more of a typical pro-style QB than Martin. What made Martin special was his versatility (played flanker some his freshman year at Florida, and eventually kicked some for the Gators in addition to playing QB. He also did both - QB and punter - at Furman).

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coleman is certainly good, and is probably more of a typical pro-style QB than Martin. What made Martin special was his versatility (played flanker some his freshman year at Florida, and eventually kicked some for the Gators in addition to playing QB. He also did both - QB and punter - at Furman).

I enjoyed watching Ingle play both in HS and college. He is a very smart player, and I am sure that is one reason he has taken it to another level. I would like to see him play in the pros. Looks like Favre took a bad lick today on his throwing hand......

According to the paper this morning this was the quote, "Coleman is the best quarterback I’ve ever coached against. He’s the best I’ve seen." I believe Flatt has seen a few good QB's

I can tell you haven't read a lot of Coach Flatt's quotes before and after big games before. He is the Lou Holtz of High School football...everybody is the best! He also said that this year's McCallie team was the best in the history of DII.

What are your thoughts?

Coach Flatt didn't coach against Benji Walker.......Benji was BA's QB.....not sure if Benji was as good as Coleman. Benji had a hard time at Vandy, then when he got to play, he got an unsportsmanlike penalty for taunting a player after a TD. Vandy's coach rarely used him, especially after that. Really good HS player, but didn't pan out at Vandy. The good thing is he recieved a great education!

If you will recall, Walker was barely beat out for the starting job in Cutler's redshirt year. The decision came down to the last minute. It was Bobby Johnson's first year at Vandy, and the speculartion was that he went with Cutler to play for the future.

What ever happened to that Cutler guy anyways?

If you will recall, Walker was barely beat out for the starting job in Cutler's redshirt year. The decision came down to the last minute. It was Bobby Johnson's first year at Vandy, and the speculartion was that he went with Cutler to play for the future.

What ever happened to that Cutler guy anyways?

I really wanted Benji to do well at Vandy. He was a big name out of HS........some say the highest recruited player ever out of BA. I don't know if that is true, but his education will be a good legacy to him.

Haven't heard much from Cutler.........

I can tell you haven't read a lot of Coach Flatt's quotes before and after big games before. He is the Lou Holtz of High School football...everybody is the best! He also said that this year's McCallie team was the best in the history of DII.

I found that comment interesting as well. He said to the City Paper, “They [McCallie] have the best team I’ve seen since I’ve been playing in DII,” Flatt said, “they are really good.”

To be fair, he wasn't playing (coaching) in 1999, but, even despite my allegiances, it's hard to argue against the '99 MBA team as DII's best to date. Four DII shutouts in the regular season and outscoring of its six DII opponents in the regular season 237-19 (average score 40-3). Add in a victory over Bolles (FL), a win at Lincoln County, a 21-0 shutout at defending 5A champ Oakland and a 49-15, 34-point title game victory (most points scored and largest margin of victory in a DII-AAA championship game).

But I digress; this is BA's time to take the spotlight.

Edited by rollredroll

I found that comment interesting as well. He said to the City Paper, “They [McCallie] have the best team I’ve seen since I’ve been playing in DII,” Flatt said, “they are really good.”

To be fair, he wasn't playing (coaching) in 1999, but, even despite my allegiances, it's hard to argue against the '99 MBA team as DII's best to date. Four DII shutouts in the regular season and outscoring of its six DII opponents in the regular season 237-19 (average score 40-3). Add in a victory over Bolles (FL), a win at Lincoln County, a 21-0 shutout at defending 5A champ Oakland and a 49-15, 34-point title game victory (most points scored and largest margin of victory in a DII-AAA championship game).

I have heard this statement from him for years.....even back when I played that some team was the best we had ever faced and they had athletes the equivalent of small gods, and then we would go into the game and demolish them. He plays this card well. I have never seen him be boastful of BA talent. He always talks about how great another team is. I have also seen Bobby Bowden do this.

The '99 MBA team was indeed awesome!

Edited by Brandon100

He wasn't coaching, but I think he probably saw them!! :rolleyes:

That was a very good team.

It makes me sick when people talk about the years Flatt did not coach at BA, what was done to Tom Moore was pitiful. Everyone seems to forget what happened to BA during those years and how he was treated by BA. Also I have often wondered how Fisher would have done if he chose football over baseball. I know at the Cship game I saw him play his passing was spectacular.

It makes me sick when people talk about the years Flatt did not coach at BA, what was done to Tom Moore was pitiful. Everyone seems to forget what happened to BA during those years and how he was treated by BA. Also I have often wondered how Fisher would have done if he chose football over baseball. I know at the Cship game I saw him play his passing was spectacular.

I understand your thoughts about Tom Moore. However, remember he was an MBA alum, so there is a good argument that he had it coming.

Just kidding! Seriously, the best defense from BA's perspective was that a new young headmaster was hired from Miami, FL. Upon arriving, he said, wait a minute - I did not hire this guy. Why do we have one of the winningest coaches in TN high school history not coaching? I want to "play my best players". He then made all of the moves. I do not expect this explanation to make you feel good about what happened. However, it takes the edge off of it, if you don't think of Coach Flatt going back on his word and personally stabbing Tom Moore in the back. In all fairness I think he was very happy to go along with his boss's decision.

I felt similarly about Ingle Marting at Florida. I felt the new coach came in and gave him the shaft when he seemed like the better QB. My Florida friends came up with some fancy reasons, as well.

Edited by USA1