McCallie vs. Brentwood Academy

Buzzman

To be fair, he wasn't playing (coaching) in 1999, but, even despite my allegiances, it's hard to argue against the '99 MBA team as DII's best to date. Four DII shutouts in the regular season and outscoring of its six DII opponents in the regular season 237-19 (average score 40-3). Add in a victory over Bolles (FL), a win at Lincoln County, a 21-0 shutout at defending 5A champ Oakland and a 49-15, 34-point title game victory (most points scored and largest margin of victory in a DII-AAA championship game).

You are correct...............as for the game sat. night, what a great game to watch. Glad to see BA win, they have a very good team.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I saw, a man in a green jumpsuit gave the McCallie coach his award and then walked away. Another person gave Coach Flatt his award. When I heard Mr. Carter's name as giving the awards at the presentation, I wondered how it would go down.

Oh well, Vivat Veritas......

The best thing I can say is, what a shootout! Both teams came ready to play, and McCallie was never out of it, even when they went down by 17. Coleman and the rest of the McCallie squad were so dangerous. I have never seen two quarterbacks of that caliber play in one game in high school football. Coleman is the real deal. I believe Calfee's stock went up tremendously in that game.....It was his best all season. Congrats to both programs. Neither team deserved a loss, but someone had to be the winner. I am happy for the BA family it was BA.

I spoke with a BA coach today that told me Coach Flatt found Ronnie Carter afterwards and shook his hand. Mr. Carter did not go to find him. Coach Flatt does not hate this man. He dislikes the circumstance this man helped put him and the school in. Coach Flatt is a good man, fine Christian and class act. He takes far too much undeserved flak because of success.

Edited by Brandon100

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I would bring this thread back up to the top, not just to congratulate BA for the title, and McCallie for its great season, but just to show my appreciation for this great conference.

After watching yesterday's championship games, and seeing some of the behaviors exhibited on the field by players, and by some of the fans on these boards after the games, I couldn't be prouder of DII-AAA. Sure, we have our moments, and our message board exchanges can be spicy at times, but I think the fans of this conference as a whole have a genuine respect for one another that I have yet to see be exhibited in a similar fashion by other regions/conferences/classifications. Further, yesterday's games made me also realize how classy this conference's players are; once again, the conference's players are far from perfect, but I just don't see the showboating and chest-pounding antics nearly to the extent that I saw from some of the players on the field yesterday. Division I has some great fans, players, and programs - I'm certainly not trying to throw a blanket over all of them - but the size of this conference and fewer TV opportunities (no broadcast of the title game) keeps many people from seeing the great comraderie and play in this league.

This conference's play on the field - whether it be against DI opponents or out-of-state teams - stands on its own merits, and while the conference members can hold their heads high with that hard data, it should be even prouder of the unity and chemistry that has evolved from the creation of this conference. While I am not a fan of separation, I think the split has been a positive for the member schools of the conference.

Looking forward to another great year next year.

While I am not a fan of separation, I think the split has been a positive for the member schools of the conference.

I wouldn't take it to that extreme, but I know what you mean. It's a tribute to the coaches and players both, and it holds true in every sport. I also see that level of discipline in many of the better DI teams.

Edited by itzme

Just thought I would bring this thread back up to the top, not just to congratulate BA for the title, and McCallie for its great season, but just to show my appreciation for this great conference.

After watching yesterday's championship games, and seeing some of the behaviors exhibited on the field by players, and by some of the fans on these boards after the games, I couldn't be prouder of DII-AAA. Sure, we have our moments, and our message board exchanges can be spicy at times, but I think the fans of this conference as a whole have a genuine respect for one another that I have yet to see be exhibited in a similar fashion by other regions/conferences/classifications. Further, yesterday's games made me also realize how classy this conference's players are; once again, the conference's players are far from perfect, but I just don't see the showboating and chest-pounding antics nearly to the extent that I saw from some of the players on the field yesterday. Division I has some great fans, players, and programs - I'm certainly not trying to throw a blanket over all of them - but the size of this conference and fewer TV opportunities (no broadcast of the title game) keeps many people from seeing the great comraderie and play in this league.

This conference's play on the field - whether it be against DI opponents or out-of-state teams - stands on its own merits, and while the conference members can hold their heads high with that hard data, it should be even prouder of the unity and chemistry that has evolved from the creation of this conference. While I am not a fan of separation, I think the split has been a positive for the member schools of the conference.

Looking forward to another great year next year.

What was the reason that the DII games were not broadcast on the tube?

I wouldn't take it to that extreme, but I know what you mean. It's a tribute to the coaches and players both, and it holds true in every sport. I also see that level of discipline in many of the better DI teams.

I agree. For example, I have been very impressed with what I have seen and heard about Ravenwood. Brian Rector seems to run his program the right way. I am sure there are many other examples.

BTW. The games get televised only if someone pays for the rights to do so. I have to assume that no one thought there was enough of a market for the D2 games. I think it looks pretty bad that D1 games are televised and D2 games aren't. The cynic in me would say this is another example of the TSSAA just not caring about D2. :lol:

BTW. The games get televised only if someone pays for the rights to do so. I have to assume that no one thought there was enough of a market for the D2 games. I think it looks pretty bad that D1 games are televised and D2 games aren't. The cynic in me would say this is another example of the TSSAA just not caring about D2. :thumb:

The problem with your first assumption is that they sell rights for all 5 DI games as a package...not including the DII games. If they wanted to, they could sell the rights of all 8 games as a package. I doubt it would diminish the total value too much!

Your cynicism, in this case, is very well founded! See Brandon100's post on this thread for further evidence. The incident he describes did, in fact, happen exactly that way.

Edited by itzme

. . If they wanted to, they could sell the rights of all 8 games as a package . . .

I agree I don't understand why it was not done that way. Take all the games or none at all would be the only fair way. I don't think the the D2 basketball championships were not televised either.

There doesn't seem to be much doubt that the Ronnie Carter/Carlton Flatt situation is personal.

Edited by Bighurt

What channel/network carried the D1 title games?

No question there is something to this story. No way you are telling me that a game that features--if nothing else--a QB committed to UT for next year isn't compelling viewing to a lot of people in this state. I have to believe that if we had our own leadership (and were not relying on the current TSSAA "leadership") that a TV deal would have been reached....even if it meant we were subsidising it with our own $$, if it were that dilutive to the overall package.

I agree w/ itzme--if nothing else, the TSSAA should just insist that d2 be thrown in as part of the package. If the answer is "no one is watching d2," well, I'll guarantee no one is watching 1a, 2a, or 3a either. And I'd still bet that the D2-aaa title game ratings are not far from 4a or 5a most years.

Honestly, the whole thing stinks. It merits considering why we continue to be a part of the TSSAA when we get so little in return for that membership.