Who is the next Coach at Science Hill.....

TnRiverRat

The posting for the Science Hill job comes down Tuesday 12/5. There has been a tremendous amount of interest for the job. SHHS will try to narrow the field down to about 5 then they will start the interview process. Some of the potential coaches don't want their schools to know; until they are sure SHHS is serious about them. The goal is to have a coach named before Jan. 1st.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The posting for the Science Hill job comes down Tuesday 12/5. There has been a tremendous amount of interest for the job. SHHS will try to narrow the field down to about 5 then they will start the interview process. Some of the potential coaches don't want their schools to know; until they are sure SHHS is serious about them. The goal is to have a coach named before Jan. 1st.

would love to know you from the area has applied

I talked with a couple of coaches/fans/people and I've found out that Science Hill is looking at a lot more people than you think. Basically, a lot of the coaches from high schools in the area have been approached to consider applying for the job. Now, I don't know if this is hullabub or whatever, but I'm not convinced that Ralph Nelson is a lock in for the job. I think Science Hill should look at a BIG NAME coach from the state level, not the local level.

Ralph also just bought a house in the Bluff City area, is already well established in the school.........I just don't see why he would want to move yet. Yes, the drive isn't that far.........but look at how Science Hill will treat you if you come out on the losing ends or even 50/50. If Ralph Nelson didn't/doesn't bring the program to 7-3 8-2 every year..........I don't see him lasting there long. Again, I think he has done good things at East since he has been there.......but nothing GREAT yet. I think he should stay where he is for the time being.

I believe also in the fact that science hill should bring in a proven coach from a big name program.

I said Ralph was interested. That doesn't mean he is definitely going to take it. He's going to have a hard time leaving East. I know it's not a high profile job, but he is already attached to the boys and the community. There's been a deadline established though. My gut feeling is, he'll have to take it.

He would be crazy not to jump at the chance to to what's never been done at the hill in footbal. Bring home the state to the hill. But no matter who the coach is the problem still exsist of haveing just 1 middle school and losing a lot of talent before they reach the high school level. The feeder programs for 12 and under are excellent but when you have 1400-1500 students some talent is going to fall by the wayside or just believe in the topper theme of this is a basketball school.

Give him the talent that the hill has and you might be amazed , Because he is winning 4-5 games a year with very , very little right now.

I agree with getting a good man, but elizabethon has a good man but a bad coach. With all the talent that he had he couldn't get them in the playoffs. Science Hill has more talent than any school in the area including DB. This coaching decision can put science hill deep in the playoffs for years to come

My best guess is Louis Thompson. He's from Lebanon, TN, graduated from Lebanon High, then went to Alabama. According to CoachT, his head coaching record is 204-114-1. His current record at Lincoln Co. is 121-52. He has coached two state championship teams and has been named a region coach of the year and a TN coach of the year. More importantly what ties him to Johnson City is that he coached at Unicoi County. From a public relations point of view he has the pedigree to coach at SHHS without the baggage of coming directly from a school that is a SHHS rival and he has winning statistics galore.

My best guess is Louis Thompson. He's from Lebanon, TN, graduated from Lebanon High, then went to Alabama. According to CoachT, his head coaching record is 204-114-1. His current record at Lincoln Co. is 121-52. He has coached two state championship teams and has been named a region coach of the year and a TN coach of the year. More importantly what ties him to Johnson City is that he coached at Unicoi County. From a public relations point of view he has the pedigree to coach at SHHS without the baggage of coming directly from a school that is a SHHS rival and he has winning statistics galore.

This post made me laugh.

The legendary Coach Thompson leave Lincoln Co.??????????? HA. No chance. You're crazy. The man is a god in the minds of Southern Middle TN football fans. He is on his own time-table at Lincoln Co. and will retire when he feels like it, with NO INTENTION of going all the way up to who-knows-where Northeast TN.

:lol::thumb::P:lol: :

Edited by eaglefan

As I posted a week ago with no takers, my money is on the new SHHS coach being Ralph Nelson.

A second strong local candidate is Colobro from Gate City.

A "national search" is appealing but difficult. TSSAA rules greatly restrict what school and community booster clubs can do. As you have seen at DB, THS, and Sullivan South, the funding pool comes from salary, stipends, and "coach's shows".

Maybe Science Hill could package a great coach who could also be the AD $$$$$, I understand that the Toppers need both.