Ooltewah @ Smyrna

Owlbino

Wait just a second??? How come everyone is talking about what a great QB Gray is and what a passing threat Smyrna is???

If I'm reading these stats correctly from this past week's Quarterfinal win over Riverdale, Sonny Gray had:

3 completions in 8 attempts for 92 yards, 1 TD and 1 INT!

I sure hope he has the same stellar performance against the Owls this week!

Here's the stats: Smyrna 9, Riverdale 7

Against LaVergne in playoff game they were 8-17-2 for 69.

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a good point of West vs. Middle vs. East.

I was curios to see how the numbers broke down though so I looked it up. The representation of regions (W,M,E) for teams that made the state championship finals for all classes is as follows. I'll also admit that I did the best I could to identify if a team was W, M or E. I used Chattanooga and east as E and the W line was a little hazy, but I generally drew it a little east of Jackson. I could have done it by tssaa regions (1,2,3, etc), but I didn't feel like looking into it that much :D

1995 - 2005

W - 52

M - 68

E - 36

2000 - 2005

W - 34

M - 37

E - 23

However, I would disagree with multiplying east or west times 2 to equal middle. I think it would actually be more like 1.5. If this were the case the breakdown would look like this:

1995 - 2005

W - 52 * 1.5 = 78

M - 68

E - 36 * 1.5 = 54

2000 - 2005

W - 34 * 1.5 = 51

M - 37

E - 23 * 1.5 = 34.5

If this were the case it would be W, M and E in that order for the past 5 and 10 yrs, which to me is suprising that W has been so successful so quitely (at least to me it seems). However, if I recall correctly from tallying the numbers alot of the west is from smaller D2 classifications, which I don't keep up with much. But, take that for what it's worth.

Maybe I'll break it down by classification one day and see how it looks...

Great post and great research.. But what I was reffering to was simply 5A football.. Not the rest of the classifications.

Smyrna Fans,

Before we forget, everyone was picking Riverdale to beat us last week. Go ahead, let them pick Ooltewah over us...But the game still has to be played. That's why they sell tickets.

Just play hard and you'll see the results of your hard work Smyrna. Don't get frustrated by arm chair quarterback predicters.

Coach Gonyea

Smyrna Hightransparentdog.gif

To Ooltewah and Smyrna fans. You both are picking your own team. I continue to be amazed that the people in Smyrna think they are the only ones who believe their team is going to win. This post is so typical... Ooltewah fans picking their team and Smyrna fans picking their teams. Everyone is not picking Ooltewah; just follow the posts on this thread. It goes back and forth--point and counter point. Do you think because you put "Coach" in front of your name that makes a difference? I have been coaching for over 20 years and the one thing I would agree with on your post is that "the game still has to be played. That's why they sell tickets."

Smyrna fans think that Ooltewah is overlooking Smyrna just because they post positively about their team. If we all knew who the posters were, we would probably find very few coming from the teams themselves. These are fans and parents and friends talking, with a few other interested observers, not all connected to either program. So, I wouldn't judge a team's perpective, either way, based on posts on CoachT.

smyrna's 1st string defense has only allowed 7 points in the playoffs.

That is quite impressive. Think about this: other than about four players, you really won't know who Ooltewah's "first string" defense is. They play two deep in multiple positions, rotating a lot of players in and out on both sides of the ball.

The stats seem to indicate that these two teams match up quite well with one another, both offensively and defensively. History and previous games tell us a little about the programs past and some of its strengths and weaknesses during this year. The one thing we can't really tell is how the two teams will do against each other. They have not played yet, and you just never know for sure how each team is going to adjust for this game.

This game is going to come down to a few things, as usual: execution of the game plan; the ability to adjust to changes since the viewing of game films; turnovers; penalities; mental mistakes; and one or two big plays.

people are talking about how big ooltewah is .. I was just on their website and the profile of the day was on someone who was 5'11 300 pounds!!! That is not strong Smyrna's lineman is 6'7 290 that is big!!

I BELIEVE

Actually, I would say that Ooltewah's front line is not huge. They are decent size, quick and block well. They play the game the way it should, and get plenty of space for the speedy running back and block well for the passing game.

I saw the comment earlier about how big the Owls line was :D That was a little funny. But don't under estimate them; they are good. I watched them a couple of times this year and they do a really good job!

Keep listening to that person that tells you that Jeremy makes bad decisions :D He is one cool character in the pocket. He has had pressure put on him this year and responded like a champ.You force him out of the pocket? PLEASE do so!The "best quarterback in the East Tennessee area got "RATTLED"when we played Sevier county. Farragut's quarterback last week looked like he was turning cartwheels out of bounds ;) I love your confidence. It makes me smile. Sounds like you have a great game plan. All I can say is BRING IT! Maybe youre right. Middle TN football is far superier to the weak E TN teams. I guess we'll just see won't we :D

This is a pretty good analysis but I do disagree with you about Jeremy Woods making bad decesions. That is his strength in my opinion. He has this cool layed back personality and rarely gets jumbled. So far when the pressure is on he has responded well. He has great scrambling ability with better than average speed. (He started free-safety last year.) He can also sit in the pocket until the last possible second to deliver a pass. Ooltewah will be ready for this game. Ooltewah has averaged 35.7 points per game in the playoffs. I don't think Smyrna will hold them to 14 points. No one has all year. Ooltewah will score 30+ points in opinion. The question is, can Ooltewah stop Sonny? Ooltewah has injured 3 of that last 3 qb's in the playoffs this year. The defense will lay the wood. Should be a great game!

Strength + Success Ranking

DIVISION 1 - CLASS AAAAA

1 Ooltewah 1.50

2 Dobyns Bennett 1.43

3 Riverdale 1.40

4 Ridgeway 1.36

5 White Station 1.36

6 Smyrna 1.34

Strength of Schedule Ranking

DIVISION 1 - CLASS AAAAA

38 Oak Ridge 50.21

39 Ooltewah 50.09

40 Smyrna 49.72

CoachT must disagree with that strenght of schedule

Question for a couple of you Smyrna fans. Why are you just now making a screenname on CoachT after the win again Riverdale?

Ooltewah is not big at all upfront. There has been only 2 teams Ooltewah has played all year that they are bigger than. Heritage/Bradley Central.

Left Tackle - 6' 215

Left Guard - 6' 240

Center - 5'11 240

Right Guard - 5'10 215

Right Tackle - 6'3 265

Tightend - 6'4 210

Ooltewah is not big upfront at all. However, they are very well coached and are very strong. Great line push for their team size. One of the pluses for Ooltewah's small size is their quickness. Their quickness compliments Marshall very well. Should be great football weather Friday. Can't wait to see this one.

OK let's agree that neither of us know what we are talking about when it comes to each others opponents. William Blount's defense was great. They beat Dobbins Bennett remember? Several teams we played had good defenses. This Owls offense can make defenses look bad. I can't imagine you having a better defensive player than Reveiz at Farragut. Like I said this is pointless cause each tema thinks they are the best and dont really know much about each other.

No Idea, Yeah Smyrna's D Will Give Them A Game. They Havnt Played A Solid Team All Year With The Except Farragut. Another Key Stat.

Great post and great research.. But what I was reffering to was simply 5A football.. Not the rest of the classifications.

Thanks. 5A looks as such if a 1.5 multiplier is used.

1995 - 2005

W - 2 (* 1.5 = 3 )

M - 16

E - 4 (* 1.5 = 6 )

2000 - 2005

W - 1 (* 1.5 = 1.5 )

M - 9

E - 2 (* 1.5 = 3 )

So, with 5A it appears that middle is very strong, with as you said Riverdale accounting for many of those tallys. Another part of the 5A success in middle I think stems from the recent emergence of region 5-5A (Ravenwood, Franklin, Brentwood).

Strength + Success Ranking

DIVISION 1 - CLASS AAAAA

1 Ooltewah 1.50

2 Dobyns Bennett 1.43

3 Riverdale 1.40

4 Ridgeway 1.36

5 White Station 1.36

6 Smyrna 1.34

Strength of Schedule Ranking

DIVISION 1 - CLASS AAAAA

38 Oak Ridge 50.21

39 Ooltewah 50.09

40 Smyrna 49.72

CoachT must disagree with that strenght of schedule

Good job ImaOWL! Region 2-5A is the best region in 5A football NORMALLY...this year Oak Ridge was down, but Farragut, William Blount, McMinn were up! They keep referring to this Cookeville game...which was in Week 0. I'll take Region 2 over their region any day.

Needless to say, Ooltewah will be prepared physically and mentally to make the trip to Smyrna this Friday night! I can't wait! Go Owls!

Against LaVergne in playoff game they were 8-17-2 for 69.

I'll be thrilled if he has a performance like that too!!