Excuses

pballer44

Why is it that most times a Private beats a Public the public makes a million excuses to why their team is not as good. Could it not just be that the private team worked harder. I am not saying that all public school and their fans do this but i know a lot do. The TSSAA keeps tabs on schools and who goes there so the recruiting factor is not so in Div I if it were so they would be Div II. Just my little question Discuss and get mad at me if you wish.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is it that most times a Private beats a Public the public makes a million excuses to why their team is not as good. Could it not just be that the private team worked harder. I am not saying that all public school and their fans do this but i know a lot do. The TSSAA keeps tabs on schools and who goes there so the recruiting factor is not so in Div I if it were so they would be Div II. Just my little question Discuss and get mad at me if you wish.

All 85 of the superb hand picked athletes from the private school probably did work harder in their multi-million dollar fitness complex right there on campus. their paid proffessional strength coach probably pushed them a little harder all summer. If the public school kids wasn't waisting time working at McDonalds all summer so they could help their single mom feed their little sister , and spent more time in the 10x15 sweatbox they have at their public school with all the best workout equipment K-mart had too offer back in the mid 80's they could have beaten the private school and then they would be making the million dollars..........I mean excuses.

All 85 of the superb hand picked athletes from the private school probably did work harder in their multi-million dollar fitness complex right there on campus. their paid proffessional strength coach probably pushed them a little harder all summer. If the public school kids wasn't waisting time working at McDonalds all summer so they could help their single mom feed their little sister , and spent more time in the 10x15 sweatbox they have at their public school with all the best workout equipment K-mart had too offer back in the mid 80's they could have beaten the private school and then they would be making the million dollars..........I mean excuses.

If you insist on posting here then try and get real. It gets old hearing stuff that everyone knows is not true.

If you insist on posting here then try and get real. It gets old hearing stuff that everyone knows is not true.

If you insist on telling me how to post then you need to get real. You all keep making comparisons of public schools to places like Oak ridge, and Riverdale , small schools don't have a prayer against most privates. Public school programs like these two and many others from big towns can compete financially to have the fascilities to DRAW kids to them. Is DRAW a better word than recruit forya? I know how it works public, private DII blah blah blah maybe none of them "RECRUIT" but they ALL try to DRAW the best players to their program, and if you got the cabbage to build fascilities most small colleges would envy your going to win that battle over any small school. You want to know what I'm tired of hearing about .......TAX MONEY. Who gets that? I've never seen it. I've been a part of a 1A program for almost 5 years and I have yet to see a nickel from the county or state to buy our kids so much as a mouthpiece let alone a weightroom or for field maintenance. Coaches and parents raise all the money , and I'm talking about parents who work a 9-5 making just enough to support their family , not Doctors and business owners who can match what we raise in three years with one quick donation either. I know alot and I mean alot :blink: of what I say is hogwash , but you guys are just as bad to whine and bicker about all this government / tax money that you all pay that your private school don't see. I would LOOOOOVE to make enough money to be able to whine about having to pay 30,000$ of taxes a year that don't go to my childs private school.

If you insist on telling me how to post then you need to get real. You all keep making comparisons of public schools to places like Oak ridge, and Riverdale , small schools don't have a prayer against most privates. Public school programs like these two and many others from big towns can compete financially to have the fascilities to DRAW kids to them. Is DRAW a better word than recruit forya? I know how it works public, private DII blah blah blah maybe none of them "RECRUIT" but they ALL try to DRAW the best players to their program, and if you got the cabbage to build fascilities most small colleges would envy your going to win that battle over any small school. You want to know what I'm tired of hearing about .......TAX MONEY. Who gets that? I've never seen it. I've been a part of a 1A program for almost 5 years and I have yet to see a nickel from the county or state to buy our kids so much as a mouthpiece let alone a weightroom or for field maintenance. Coaches and parents raise all the money , and I'm talking about parents who work a 9-5 making just enough to support their family , not Doctors and business owners who can match what we raise in three years with one quick donation either. I know alot and I mean alot :thumb: of what I say is hogwash , but you guys are just as bad to whine and bicker about all this government / tax money that you all pay that your private school don't see. I would LOOOOOVE to make enough money to be able to whine about having to pay 30,000$ of taxes a year that don't go to my childs private school.

I never whine about tax money...it is the public guys who whine that we small privates have so much money...i think you have said pretty much that same thing several times. So let me enlighten you about that tax money you have never "seen".

- when you drive up the drive to your school and into the parking lot...that was tax money.

- When you walk through the door and look down the hall...all that is tax money.

- When you go into a classroom...you guessed it, more tax money.

- That technology center and that shop with the machinery...taxes

- Teacher and coaching and administrative and maintenance salaries...tax money

- When your kids dress in a locker room the room and the uniform..._ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ (fill in the blanks)

- When you sit in the bleachers and hear the announcer in the pressbox...same

- When you look out at your field...mowed, painted, with decorative fencing/walling/a track and a quarter million dollars worth of lighting...tax money built it.

Privates pay to have all that stuff themselves...and for the upkeep. Clue in. Every time someone comes on here shouting about all the money the small privates have I give them real figures...but they...and you...just ignore them.

----------> THE REAL DEAL <------------

Most small privates run on a deficit budget...they don't bring in enough money with tuition to operate, so they rely on gifts to keep the doors open. We have about 980 kids k-12. Average tuition about 5800 (assuming everyone pays on time which never happens). So 5.7 million or so coming in from tuition. We have around a hundred staff. So half or more of our income goes immediately to pay for salaries. Then there is the electric bill, cleaning bill, grounds, phone, payments on buildings, technology, maintenance, books, continuing ed, insurance, repairs, supplies, etc. Public schools pay for NONE, zero, nada of that stuff. So where is all the money we are supposed to have? Answer, doesn't exist. Our Football budget was 100 dollars a kid last year...betcha the 2a publics we played were working with a bit more...

p.s. A public school in Hamilton county that is our size would be getting approximately 12 million a year to operate on...NOT including additional budget items like new buildings/athletic facilities and often not including coaching stipends as some coaches coach at different schools than they teach at. For those who are not good math folks that is more than double what we work with...now who has the money?

I never whine about tax money...it is the public guys who whine that we small privates have so much money...i think you have said pretty much that same thing several times. So let me enlighten you about that tax money you have never "seen".

- when you drive up the drive to your school and into the parking lot...that was tax money.

- When you walk through the door and look down the hall...all that is tax money.

- When your kids dress in a locker room the room and the uniform..._ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ (fill in the blanks)

- When you look out at your field...mowed, painted, with decorative fencing/walling/a track and a quarter million dollars worth of lighting...tax money built it.

Privates pay to have all that stuff themselves...and for the upkeep. Clue in. Every time someone comes on here shouting about all the money the small privates have I give them real figures...but they...and you...just ignore them.

Most small privates run on a deficit budget...they don't bring in enough money with tuition to operate, so they rely on gifts to keep the doors open. We have about 980 kids k-12. Average tuition about 5800 (assuming everyone pays on time which never happens). So 5.7 million or so coming in from tuition. We have around a hundred staff. So half or more of our income goes immediately to pay for salaries. Then there is the electric bill, cleaning bill, grounds, phone, payments on buildings, technology, maintenance, books, continuing ed, insurance, repairs, supplies, etc. Public schools pay for NONE, zero, nada of that stuff. So where is all the money we are supposed to have? Answer, doesn't exist. Our Football budget was 100 dollars a kid last year...betcha the 2a publics we played were working with a bit more...

p.s. A public school in Hamilton county that is our size would be getting approximately 12 million a year to operate on...NOT including additional budget items like new buildings/athletic facilities and often not including coaching stipends as some coaches coach at different schools than they teach at. For those who are not good math folks that is more than double what we work with...now who has the money?

Baldcoach, I admire your dedication and persistence in trying to give out correct infomation about private schools. I don't know what school you are affilated with, but they have a good person associated with them. Keep up the good fight. B)

Baldcoach, I admire your dedication and persistence in trying to give out correct infomation about private schools. I don't know what school you are affilated with, but they have a good person associated with them. Keep up the good fight. :thumb:

Boyd ,one of the more sucessful private schools. They evidently work hard and you can see the results. They may not have a ton of money ,but I can tell you thats not the case with several of the private schools. I've saw some of the better private schools facilities and they put ours to shame.I'd also be willing to bet ,Boyds weightroom is far superior to the ones in the small public school in this area. It really don't make any difference where our, or their money comes from. Its what it is. Its the real world. Don't really matter about the weight room stuff ,we have plenty for any kid that desires to get bigger,stronger and faster. Private schools needs nice things and good reports in all areas to exist. They have to compete with other privates and public schools for students. Anything that they do well is a magnet for potential students.Its a business and some are thriving. Private schools are nothing more than a magnet for whatever the private school excels in. Just so happens,football is one area where several of them excels.

Just as you say I don't know about private schools you don't know anything about publics , ay least low level small publics. All that stuff you say tax money bought stopped when you leave the school. That field we play on, the field (and I mean rolling cow pasture) was there when the Football program was started so I guess the county did buy that back in 1930 when the school was built, BUT to make a football field Coaches and parents payed for that , The lights Coaches knew someone that worked for a company that did that so when the COACHES AND PARENTS paid for that they got a pretty good deal. The Stadium (if you want to call aluminum bleachers that might hold 300 people a stadium) we might have gotten SOME county aide with that I wasn't part of the program then so I am not real certain about that. Field house the county gave us some old block left over from a vocational block laying class , and the COACHES built it. Lockers inside the fieldhouse the COACHES paid for the 2x4's and PLYWOOD and built them themselves as well. The road we drive up, well county money paid for that until you pass the school then the COACHES and PARENTS had to pay to pave the road on into the field and stadium. Listen I'm used to it and normally don't complain but when people refuse to believe that small schools in poor counties can't even come close to matching up with privates on any level and try to tell us they know we get money from taxpayers it strikes me the same as all of the mularky I put on here about privates strikes you. Like i said in my last Post alot of what I say about privates is STRETCHED a little, but the financial differences are there and I will never back off of that.

Edited by old24eagle

OH another thing our coaches Mow and paint our field themselves ,Not to mention the fact that we practice all week on the same field we play on along with middle school teams little league and girls soccer, Does your private school have to share their field with 4 other teams? and the announcer in the press box speaks into a second hand micropone powered by the CHEAPEST portable amp the COACHES could afford thats run into two second hand portable speakers , that was all paid for and installed by the COACHES.

The uniforms and Equipment are all paid for out of money that Football itself generates which is why we only get new stuff about every 5-6 years and then we have to buy home jerseys one year and road the next , and we only have one set of game pants , and if it wasn;t for a small college in the area donating some of their old game pants we wouldn't have practice pants.

Edited by old24eagle

OH another thing our coaches Mow and paint our field themselves ,Not to mention the fact that we practice all week on the same field we play on along with middle school teams little league and girls soccer, Does your private school have to share their field with 4 other teams? and the announcer in the press box speaks into a second hand micropone powered by the CHEAPEST portable amp the COACHES could afford thats run into two second hand portable speakers , that was all paid for and installed by the COACHES.

The uniforms and Equipment are all paid for out of money that Football itself generates which is why we only get new stuff about every 5-6 years and then we have to buy home jerseys one year and road the next , and we only have one set of game pants , and if it wasn;t for a small college in the area donating some of their old game pants we wouldn't have practice pants.

Eagle,

Nope, we dont share our field with 4 other teams. We share it with 7(elementary football, middle school football, elementary soccer, middle school boys soccer, middle school girls soccer, girls soccer, boys soccer. And we practice on the soccer practice field in the swamp. As for your facilities...I think your situation is pretty a-typical...perhaps your county treasurer or your mayor or whoever should be fired. And state funds are available...maybe your Super should be fired for not getting them.

But this is sounding like a walking uphill barefoot in the snow both ways story...my point is that if your school is that strapped for cash then you could say that any other small public outfunds you too...why are you singling out the privates? I can tell you that the publics we play ALL had better facilities than us until we built our new bleachers and field house this year (first improvements on our field EVER, and we had to raise the money from donors because the school doesn't have it). Now we have a nice field house and bleachers and press box, but our field is still not as good as most of those our opponents have. Our weight room is what used to be 2 temporary classrooms built onto the back of the gym. So it isn't the money or the facilities that give DI privates advantages...try some other things.

But aren't there some public schools that have really nice facilities? I know Alcoa has a great complex.

Is it more about the haves and have nots, rather than the publics and privates? Because you will find both in each.

Exactly Big G

Hey, you guys are on our schedule next year. Really looking forward to playing ya'll in a game where it isn't sleeting and snowing with the wind blowing 25miles/hour :thumb: .