Hillsboro and Maryville

LipscombBall3r

Guess I might have touched a nerve?? Check the Knotz Rag, Alcoa has another article there but to be fair their game is today, so it belongs there.

Not a Blount County native? That is a requirement for understanding and literary criticism ability?

Drive safe and enjoy your Championship.

Obviously I hit a nerve, because you didn't read carefully or understand what I wrote, so I'll say it again:

If you were a Blount County Native you'd understand the rivalry and history of these 2 great schools.

Don't believe I said anything about your literary criticism ability, but, yes, it has a lot to do with your understanding.

FBEmeritus: Drive safely; see ya at the game! :unsure:

Oh, and: GO REBELS!

Edited by tornadogold

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the local media coverage and the timing of it has a lot to do with the fact that Alcoa is playing tonight and the Maryville game is almost 24 hours later. I would say Maryville will get quite a bit of ink tommorrow morning. From a media standpoint especially on the local level the head to head results between the two schools should not factor in here; THE story is the fact that they are both going for a third consecutive championship and they are both from the same county. Good luck to both teams.

I remember two years ago, a very one-dimensional (offensively ... Cooper left, Cooper right, Cooper up the middle ... throw a screen to Cooper ... etc. etc.) Melrose team played Maryville to a one point game.

The thing that kept me from calling that Melrose team completely one-dimensional is that they had the best defense I've EVER seen in high school football...by far. That defense was absolutely amazing. I think they held their opponents that year to an average of less than 5 points per game and pitched multiple shut outs. You know a defense is amazing when Cade Thompson (now at South Carolina) and an all-star group of receivers can only manage 7 points behind the genius of GQ.

I sincerely doubt that Hillsboro's defense this year is as good as that one was (I certainly hope it's not). If it is, then EVERYTHING goes right out the window.

FBE - How many years in a row has the Daily Times predicted AHS to beat MHS? At least 3 I think...

Here are my thoughts on the game. If you are looking for deep insight you will be disappointed. I don't make predictions on games because I can't stand being wrong even one time. Along those lines I don't even buy lottery tickets but that is a story for another day.

I expect this to be an outstanding football game, possibly the best of the five. If you are 14-0 and playing in December you are a good team period. You are not too small, too slow, too anything because you have played enough games for any weaknesses like that to have already been exposed.

Being more balanced will likely help Hillsboro but I have to tell you I thought their previous coach was pretty good. The fact that he is at Riverdale would indicate as much. I am not a big fan of the Wing T but when a team can have a 3rd and 7, and easily run for the first and convert, and I saw them do it ofen, that is pretty impressive. I am sure the new coach is very able as well and what he has been able to accomplish the first year, while completely changing the offense is impressive especially when you consider he came from the other side of the country.

Both previous games between these two teams were good games. In 2001 we swapped scores and I believe Maryville intercepted a pass late in the game while up by one TD and was able to run out the clock. In 02 Hillsboro led 26-14 with 8 minutes left and Maryville scored once, kicked an onsides kick and recovered and scored again to win 29-26. I expect this one to be just as close or closer. During this run Maryville has always had close games in the title game with the exception of the Whites Creek game in 1998. Maryville has been consistent. Not unbeatable.

Is Hillsboro capable of winning this game? You bet they are. I am glad our team has a chance to once again defend its title. I hope they do, and I have faith in them and our coaches. Win or lose I am proud of them and everything they have accomplished. Last night on the news I saw a young soldier from Clinton being interviewed about embarking on his second tour of duty in Iraq. He looked like he was barely out of college. His main concern was with his family. And shrugged off having to go back saying others have had it worse than he has. I realized how blessed i was that the only butterflies I had felt all week was the outcome of a high school football game. Hillsboro and Maryville folks lets enjoy the weekend and how nice it is to be in a place where we can do exactly that. Good luck to both teams.

Here are my thoughts on the game. If you are looking for deep insight you will be disappointed. I don't make predictions on games because I can't stand being wrong even one time. Along those lines I don't even buy lottery tickets but that is a story for another day.

I expect this to be an outstanding football game, possibly the best of the five. If you are 14-0 and playing in December you are a good team period. You are not too small, too slow, too anything because you have played enough games for any weaknesses like that to have already been exposed.

Being more balanced will likely help Hillsboro but I have to tell you I thought their previous coach was pretty good. The fact that he is at Riverdale would indicate as much. I am not a big fan of the Wing T but when a team can have a 3rd and 7, and easily run for the first and convert, and I saw them do it ofen, that is pretty impressive. I am sure the new coach is very able as well and what he has been able to accomplish the first year, while completely changing the offense is impressive especially when you consider he came from the other side of the country.

Both previous games between these two teams were good games. In 2001 we swapped scores and I believe Maryville intercepted a pass late in the game while up by one TD and was able to run out the clock. In 02 Hillsboro led 26-14 with 8 minutes left and Maryville scored once, kicked an onsides kick and recovered and scored again to win 29-26. I expect this one to be just as close or closer. During this run Maryville has always had close games in the title game with the exception of the Whites Creek game in 1998. Maryville has been consistent. Not unbeatable.

Is Hillsboro capable of winning this game? You bet they are. I am glad our team has a chance to once again defend its title. I hope they do, and I have faith in them and our coaches. Win or lose I am proud of them and everything they have accomplished. Last night on the news I saw a young soldier from Clinton being interviewed about embarking on his second tour of duty in Iraq. He looked like he was barely out of college. His main concern was with his family. And shrugged off having to go back saying others have had it worse than he has. I realized how blessed i was that the only butterflies I had felt all week was the outcome of a high school football game. Hillsboro and Maryville folks lets enjoy the weekend and how nice it is to be in a place where we can do exactly that. Good luck to both teams.

Good Post. :unsure:

The thing that kept me from calling that Melrose team completely one-dimensional is that they had the best defense I've EVER seen in high school football...by far. That defense was absolutely amazing. I think they held their opponents that year to an average of less than 5 points per game and pitched multiple shut outs. You know a defense is amazing when Cade Thompson (now at South Carolina) and an all-star group of receivers can only manage 7 points behind the genius of GQ.

I sincerely doubt that Hillsboro's defense this year is as good as that one was (I certainly hope it's not). If it is, then EVERYTHING goes right out the window.

FBE - How many years in a row has the Daily Times predicted AHS to beat MHS? At least 3 I think...

I agree as most will Melrose that year had the best Defense of any team in many years. They really laid the wood to Maryville, but special teams can win game and lose games and that is what happened that night. Tucker got big press for blocking that PAT, but if you watch the film it might have hit him in the helmet and I doubt it would have been good anyway.

I think this Hillsboro team is more diverse than any Maryville has played this year as they have proven they can run and pass. I don't think ether team has had any real competition all season except where they have turned the ball over.

The keys to the game IMO are field position, special teams play and turnovers. I don't question coach Blades ability but adjusting to GQ is another great challenge for most coaches. I know Jimmy Gaylor will be the best D coordinator on the field and that will also be a key factor.

As for the Alcoa thing goes, it really makes me ill when a few of the sports writers try to make Alcoa some kind of equal to Maryville. As dominate as they are, they have not been nearly as dominate as Maryville has been in Class 4A. Few teams in Tennessee HS Football history have dominated like Maryville has. I'm not jealous of their success, but save for the number of SC they have won, the past five years or so there really is little competition in 2A in ET like there is in the other classes. Maryville has an off game and now they "Can play with" Maryville and "May be the best regardless of all classification".

I mean gee, check the records before you make statements like those quotes I have posted. Enough of that. I wish them luck tonight and I'll be there to watch them beat down another 2A team.

LOL ... papa ... I know you caught the spirit of what I was stating. Maybe I should have put the word offensively in bold letters in my earlier post. I wasn't trying to diminish the defensive prowess of that Melrose team and I know that you probably sensed that. As far as defenses go, that was one of the best that I have ever seen with my lil ole brown eyes. That one and the Kendall Morehead lead defense that Melrose had back in 96 when they won the title in 3A. But I'm not blind ... I was at that 4A championship game 2 years ago, and that Maryville 'D' was quite impressive as well. Quite impressive indeed.

Gaylor (Maryville's D-Coordinator) was not at practice all week with a bad back and had back surgery this morning. He likely won't be at the game tomorrow. That hurts.

krakatoa...go to unapproved website . com (it says unapproved website if i put it all together) and read my posts on my coach gaylor's surgery...I have posted updates on what is going on if you want to find more out about it...thanks Maryville fans for your phone calls last night and you growing concern with my dad's recovery...

Edited by rebelguy21

More bad news for Maryville fans. Tyler Maples (Mr. Football) has a swollen ankle (infection) and will not be 100% for tomorrow's game. There is a chance he won't even play.

krakatoa...go to unapproved website . com (it says unapproved website if i put it all together) and read my posts on my coach gaylor's surgery...I have posted updates on what is going on if you want to find more out about it...thanks Maryville fans for your phone calls last night and you growing concern with my dad's recovery...

Thanks

LOL ... papa ... I know you caught the spirit of what I was stating. Maybe I should have put the word offensively in bold letters in my earlier post. I wasn't trying to diminish the defensive prowess of that Melrose team and I know that you probably sensed that. As far as defenses go, that was one of the best that I have ever seen with my lil ole brown eyes. That one and the Kendall Morehead lead defense that Melrose had back in 96 when they won the title in 3A. But I'm not blind ... I was at that 4A championship game 2 years ago, and that Maryville 'D' was quite impressive as well. Quite impressive indeed.

Oh yeah, I wasn't disagreeing with you at all :thumb:

I haven't seen Hillsboro this year, but I'm confident that they are anything but one-dimensional being that they are undefeated and in the state game. Would you say that they are stronger though on offense or on defense? Just curious as to what your opinion on that might be. Also, have they faced any spread formation teams this year?