MHS DOMINATES

jrlcm

I wish Maryville and all of the other state champions would have a little tournament. This way, everyone could see that Maryville would wear all of them out..even Alcoa this time around. The Rebels would beat all of them by 14 or more, guaranteed!! Remember I am not a Maryville fan, just a delusional East Tennessee biased fan.

Alcoa is, of course, the only 2A or below level team that can (and does) compete with Maryville. During the season many schools play up or down one class, but not very many jump up or down 2 classes. It would be ludicrous and completely unfair to play a public 1A champion who probably has a total enrollment between 175-350 (less than ONE class of a 4/5A school) against one of these larger schools. It would be the same effect as UT playing Lambuth in football.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks and your right. I meant no harm, but may have caused some. Sorry I did it. I should have just ignored the idiots!

This season is over. This team like many Maryville teams before it are sadly no more. I don't know if Maryville can beat Fulton or Alcoa next year should they play or not. Surly Maryville will play Alcoa, at their place. Two three-peat defending state champions in their respective classes facing off. Has that ever happened? In the paper Hillsboro said "They are coming back next year". Does Maryville have the hogs and horses to 4 Peat? Does Alcoa? Will GQ and company stay put and hungry, after all what do they have to prove?

It will be fun talking about it me thinks.

What do they have to prove? They just won the Championship for the 3rd year in a row and do not move up in the National rankings per (unapproved website.COM) If they want the national respect that most tennesseans feel they deserve, they will need to schedule the Top teams in TN (BA, Ravenwood, DB) or they will need to look at Independence HS in NC or a Georgia powerhouse to get the National respect. Hoover AL scheduled one of the top teams in OK, and LA to get respect. MBA in Nashville plays southern powerhouses year in and year out. Maryville has all the respect they need in TN but there is always something more to prove as a coach unless you just went undefeated and won the super bowl

What a great game yesterday. Maryville played great. Brent Burnett threw the ball real well. Glad he is back next year. He should be one of the best quarterbacks in the state. Tyler Maples was the best player I saw all weekend. Shiver was his usuall self. Tyler Clendenen had some nice catches yesterday. Tank and Singleton ran hard. The offensive line blocked well yesterday. What a great team effort yesterday.

Defensively Maryville played great. Dwight Wood was awesome. The rest of the defensive line played well. What is so great about the defensive line is not only are they good. All of them except for Dwight Wood will be back next year. Tanner Caylor,Landon Hall and Travis Carpenter played well. All 3 of those guys will be missed. Secondary played well. Caleb Clement is a tough guy just like his brothers were. He is a warrior. I also like the fact that 3 of those guys will be back next year.

Another thing is Joe Pinkerton did an outstanding job in Jim Gaylors place of coordinating the defense. I loved the adjustments made. Especially in pass situations when Maryville goes to the nickle back.

What a Maryville fan is experiencing is something that doesn't happen very often. This run that is currently going on may be something that won't happen again. I am enjoying the ride because I know it won't last forever. How lucky as Rebel fans are we to have the great coaching staff that we have at Maryville? How lucky are we to have talented kids that are so commited to excellence? The answer is we are very lucky.

I agree with you Ron that championships are hard to win regardless of how good you are. One slip and you are out. However, saying that, Maryville still has all the pieces in place to always compete for state championships. As long as GQ and company sticks around, we will be competing.

I promise you there is a long line of very good football players in the pipeline. Remember names like Guy, Miranda, Curtis, West, Ryan and Sean Prevo (Arringtons little brothers), Kelso, Phillips, and many more. Re-loading should not be a problem. :thumb:

I agree with you Ron that championships are hard to win regardless of how good you are. One slip and you are out. However, saying that, Maryville still has all the pieces in place to always compete for state championships. As long as GQ and company sticks around, we will be competing.

I promise you there is a long line of very good football players in the pipeline. Remember names like Guy, Miranda, Curtis, West, Ryan and Sean Prevo (Arringtons little brothers), Kelso, Phillips, and many more. Re-loading should not be a problem. :thumb:

I'm surprised that Quarles hasn't had offers from some colleges. I sure would go after him.

Alcoa is, of course, the only 2A or below level team that can (and does) compete with Maryville. During the season many schools play up or down one class, but not very many jump up or down 2 classes. It would be ludicrous and completely unfair to play a public 1A champion who probably has a total enrollment between 175-350 (less than ONE class of a 4/5A school) against one of these larger schools. It would be the same effect as UT playing Lambuth in football.

Great Picture, I love the history stuff.

I know I'm going to make some mad but here goes.

First of all Alcoa has a great program and they could compete and defeat most teams, most years. They are a 2A power house and at present have less than 500 kids in the school. They have more titles in their history than all but a few and the past three to five years could have beaten many teams from 5A down easily. I have respect for what they have accomplished in their own right. A great Program but not nearly are they on the same level as Maryville right now. Few are. Maybe that will change soon but not just yet.

When I think of competition, to be competitive the field must be level. Frankly the past ten years Alcoa has not done well vs. Maryville. The game is a great community rivalry but it has not been close for some time now. Sure they came to within 3 points this year, but the past ten years Alcoa’s record vs. Maryville is 1-9. Points scored was 317 to 126 or and average of 31.7 to 12.6. These numbers mean Maryville has averaged about the same winning margin vs. Alcoa as everybody else has. At 12.6 points per contest Alcoa has done better than most vs. the Rebels. That’s a 19.1 point spread or almost three touchdowns a game. If the historical rivalry and community things were not there most other teams would drop Maryville. 5A WB and Heritage have for various reasons.

My point is Alcoa really does not compete with Maryville, but not many do. Sure they play but Alcoa has had about the same success the past ten years as all the rest. This is not meant to be disrespectful to a great program like Alcoa’s but when it comes to competing with Maryville they have faired no better than anyone else. Get mad if you want but those are the facts.

Great Picture, I love the history stuff.

I know I'm going to make some mad but here goes.

First of all Alcoa has a great program and they could compete and defeat most teams, most years. They are a 2A power house and at present have less than 500 kids in the school. They have more titles in their history than all but a few and the past three to five years could have beaten many teams from 5A down easily. I have respect for what they have accomplished in their own right. A great Program but not nearly are they on the same level as Maryville right now. Few are. Maybe that will change soon but not just yet.

When I think of competition, to be competitive the field must be level. Frankly the past ten years Alcoa has not done well vs. Maryville. The game is a great community rivalry but it has not been close for some time now. Sure they came to within 3 points this year, but the past ten years Alcoa’s record vs. Maryville is 1-9. Points scored was 317 to 126 or and average of 31.7 to 12.6. These numbers mean Maryville has averaged about the same winning margin vs. Alcoa as everybody else has. At 12.6 points per contest Alcoa has done better than most vs. the Rebels. That’s a 19.1 point spread or almost three touchdowns a game. If the historical rivalry and community things were not there most other teams would drop Maryville. 5A WB and Heritage have for various reasons.

My point is Alcoa really does not compete with Maryville, but not many do. Sure they play but Alcoa has had about the same success the past ten years as all the rest. This is not meant to be disrespectful to a great program like Alcoa’s but when it comes to competing with Maryville they have faired no better than anyone else. Get mad if you want but those are the facts.

What I meant by "compete" was that the teams play each other on a regular basis. It's only natural that a smaller school would probably lose most of the time. I really can't think of too many teams other than Alcoa (2A) or Pearl-Cohn (3A) that consistently play up more than one level. PC was 4A but dropped back to 3A due to declining enrollment, however they still play one or two of the 5A Metro schools most every year.

What I meant by "compete" was that the teams play each other on a regular basis. It's only natural that a smaller school would probably lose most of the time. I really can't think of too many teams other than Alcoa (2A) or Pearl-Cohn (3A) that consistently play up more than one level. PC was 4A but dropped back to 3A due to declining enrollment, however they still play one or two of the 5A Metro schools most every year.

yes that is true in that context.

I remember Pearl-Cohn as they were the last team to beat the Rebels for a 4A State Championship in 1997. That score was 36-16 and the victory was a Pearl-Cohn back to back year who beat Knox Halls in 96, 18-14.

The haters will always be there. It's human nature.

Many of you know that I'm a fan of numbers. And I'm the guy who pretty much always points out that numbers can be made to tell whatever story you want them to tell. However, in this case, there's not much a hater can argue against the fact that Maryville has won three consecutive state titles and 45 straight games. That equals dominance by any defintion of the word, and when you stack it up against excuses and "what ifs" the facts will always prevail.

Go Red Rebels!

Hey old man, theDL must say that these posts of yours are making sense. Who woulda thought? hehe