East Tennessee Domination

a-town1408

East tenn football has taken over highschool football. The big three in east tenn are just at another level than everyone else in the state. Maryville and Fulton's closest games this year have been against Alcoa besides the Fulton loss to Catholic. It is strange that three schools within 15 minutes of each other dominate year in and year out. What does the rest of the state have to do catch up or is it possible?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

East tenn football has taken over highschool football. The big three in east tenn are just at another level than everyone else in the state. Maryville and Fulton's closest games this year have been against Alcoa besides the Fulton loss to Catholic. It is strange that three schools within 15 minutes of each other dominate year in and year out. What does the rest of the state have to do catch up or is it possible?

Let's not forget Jackson Christian, Brentwood Academy, Davidson Academy, or the 5A champions Smyrna.

Then add Webb into the equation and you have another champion within a few minutes of the rest and that's four championships which still adds up to east tn domination :thumb:

Let's take a look at the location of the 16 teams that played for state championships.

II-AAA Brentwood and Chattanooga

II-AA Knoxville and Cordova

II-A Nashville and Collierville

I-AAAAA Smyrna and Brentwood

I-AAAA Maryville and Nashville

I-AAA Knoxville and Nashville

I-AA Alcoa and Madison

I-A Jackson and Lebanon

The winners are listed 1st on this list. I agree that it is impressive to have 4 teams winning from the Knoxville area, but I would not say the east is dominating Tennessee football and I live right in the middle of Region I and my high school plays in Region II.

I think its pretty much agreed on that those teams are great teams. However to say that east tn is dominate is ridiculous. I think that the only thing that you might say is that Maryville, Fulton, and Alcoa had dominate individual teams this year. But I wouldnt even say that much. Maryville was undefeated of course but they had close games. The other two had losses. Plus in order for you to say that east tn is dominant that would mean that all of the other teams from east tn were dominate and that simply put is RIDICULOUS. Their are dominate teams all across the state but no particular region is any more dominate than the others. How long has it been since an east tn team won the 5A crown?

I think its pretty much agreed on that those teams are great teams. However to say that east tn is dominate is ridiculous. I think that the only thing that you might say is that Maryville, Fulton, and Alcoa had dominate individual teams this year. But I wouldnt even say that much. Maryville was undefeated of course but they had close games. The other two had losses. Plus in order for you to say that east tn is dominant that would mean that all of the other teams from east tn were dominate and that simply put is RIDICULOUS. Their are dominate teams all across the state but no particular region is any more dominate than the others. How long has it been since an east tn team won the 5A crown?

I agree that just because a great team wins doesn't necessarily reflect upon the level of competition in East, Middle, West. However, something that a lot of people don't realize is that championships are always skewed by the way regions are set up within a classification. In 4A, half the regions are in East TN, From Bristol to Chattanooga. That means that every single year there will be a team from East TN playing. Middle and West are split. In 5A, its also split, except the bulk is in the middle. There are only 2 regions from East Tn. Granted, there is no guarantee that a 5A team from Middle will make it, but at the same time, there's an opportunity to have an all Middle TN 5A championship (not possible for the East in 4A). So you really have to put the distribution of schools and regions across the state. Not really sure about 1A, 2A or 3A.

To catch up, all other schools would have to go to open enrollment so they can have student-athletes from outside their zone.

Wow, the topic went all the way to post 9 before open enrollment is brought up as the reason Alcoa and Maryville dominate. Good job Alcoa/Fulton/Maryville on bringin the ball home, again. Has anyone ever 4peated, maybe the Brentwood teams of old.

To say that the East Tennessee teams dominated is a blanket full of holes. As was stated, distribution of the teams has a lot to do with who can dominate. Maryville and Alcoa are definitely in a run of championships, but what about the other teams they play? And where are the champions when it comes to 5A or DII-AAA; i.e. the Big Boys? When you are talking those two divsions, hands down- it's Middle Tennessee year in and out.

I even think a more accurate measure would be from where do the teams that play for the championships come from. Mikey65 covered that- Eight teams came from Middle Tennessee, five from East Tennessee, three from West Tennessee.

While not producing champions, the depth comes clearly from the Middle part of the state.