TSSAA officals

billybobbasketball

Is this a girl's thread?

The ball is live after it hits the turf. Is this a football thread though?

#1-Is this a girls thread? NO, it is a thread on refereeing and I shared a refereeing story that occurred in a girl's game.

#2-The ball is live after it hits the turf. WRONG. When a fair catch is called, it cannot be advanced whether it hits the ground or not.

#3-Are you a smart a*@? Absolutely.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"IF THEY MAKE A BAD CALL, OH WELL, THEY ARE HUMAN"????? NO NOT "OH WELL" Some of these boys and girls r counting on these sports for there EDUCATION. If the refs have it out for a certian team, and yes it does happen. The colleges do not watch that team and therefor a good player is not noticed because of bad calls.

I will agree that refs miss calls, but as it has been said earlier in this thread, life goes on. In thinking about a player's education, if the player is worth scouting by a college team the record of his/her team should not be the main focus. Some players have amazing talent but just no supporting cast. I once again find myself in agreement with others that have posted, a good team can get over the bad calls and a good player will still be able to shine.

I will agree that refs miss calls, but as it has been said earlier in this thread, life goes on. In thinking about a player's education, if the player is worth scouting by a college team the record of his/her team should not be the main focus. Some players have amazing talent but just no supporting cast. I once again find myself in agreement with others that have posted, a good team can get over the bad calls and a good player will still be able to shine.

I don't want to say I disagree with you. Good teams can get over bad calls, and good players will still shine. However, one example I would like to bring up is the Science Hill/ East game last year at East. Omar shoots a half court shot and the ref calls a foul on East when no one was within 5 feet of Omar. He get 3 shots with no time on the clock and like a good player should wins the game. Hard to for any team to get over a call like that.

I don't want to say I disagree with you. Good teams can get over bad calls, and good players will still shine. However, one example I would like to bring up is the Science Hill/ East game last year at East. Omar shoots a half court shot and the ref calls a foul on East when no one was within 5 feet of Omar. He get 3 shots with no time on the clock and like a good player should wins the game. Hard to for any team to get over a call like that.

I wasn't in attendance during that particular game, but in a case like that, I agree with you. Calls like that are not acceptable and are completely ridiculous. I think that something should be done about the referee in question when a call is blown that wide open to help another team win a game.

#1-Is this a girls thread? NO, it is a thread on refereeing and I shared a refereeing story that occurred in a girl's game.

#2-The ball is live after it hits the turf. WRONG. When a fair catch is called, it cannot be advanced whether it hits the ground or not.

#3-Are you a smart a*@? Absolutely.

Don't disagree with the middle aged!!

I wasn't in attendance during that particular game, but in a case like that, I agree with you. Calls like that are not acceptable and are completely ridiculous. I think that something should be done about the referee in question when a call is blown that wide open to help another team win a game.

I'm glad someone said the same thing i said last year about a particular game.

I have been going to ball games for most of my 36 years. I have seen the level of officiating in east Tennessee drop to below sewer levels in that time. I don't want the calls to go my way; I want the right calls made. If it's good enough to be a foul on one end, call it on the other end when it happens. I don't care what the enrollment or league affiliation of any school is, if they foul, call it. If some group of fans is chanting obscene slurs at the teams, call a time and inform them if anything more like that is said, a technical will be assessed. I want NO favoritism shown to any team, too often it's painfully obvious a personal vendetta is being played out by many refs, and that is just wrong to all the kids involved. I realize a referree is going to be hated by half the crowd at any given game, no matter how good a job he/she does. But, I respect a ref that calls what actually happens, not what can be called any given time. I've been to too many games and seen too many disappointed kids just because a ref seemingly made something up on the spot to bail out the other team, not just my team. The officiating has gotten to horrible levels and something needs to be done. Actually something should have been done years ago, then we wouldn't be having this discussion now. I think a copy of all game tapes should be sent to some central office to be kept under review. I know there are hundreds of games each season, but the threat of dismissal or suspension may get some of these BAD refs out of the games, and keep them in line.

I have been going to ball games for most of my 36 years. I have seen the level of officiating in east Tennessee drop to below sewer levels in that time. I don't want the calls to go my way; I want the right calls made. If it's good enough to be a foul on one end, call it on the other end when it happens. I don't care what the enrollment or league affiliation of any school is, if they foul, call it. If some group of fans is chanting obscene slurs at the teams, call a time and inform them if anything more like that is said, a technical will be assessed. I want NO favoritism shown to any team, too often it's painfully obvious a personal vendetta is being played out by many refs, and that is just wrong to all the kids involved. I realize a referree is going to be hated by half the crowd at any given game, no matter how good a job he/she does. But, I respect a ref that calls what actually happens, not what can be called any given time. I've been to too many games and seen too many disappointed kids just because a ref seemingly made something up on the spot to bail out the other team, not just my team. The officiating has gotten to horrible levels and something needs to be done. Actually something should have been done years ago, then we wouldn't be having this discussion now. I think a copy of all game tapes should be sent to some central office to be kept under review. I know there are hundreds of games each season, but the threat of dismissal or suspension may get some of these BAD refs out of the games, and keep them in line.

The TSSAA is to coward to do anything about this. They put some guy in the stands to observe the refs, but he is either getting a cut of the game checks to not say anything or he has no clue himself. These guys get a thrill out of calling badly. If you watch them close enough, you'll see that they are laughing at people in the stands for yelling at them, then they'll make horrible calls on purpose just to get a reaction. Funny thing is, I bet they talk about how unprofesional fans are. lol Maybe the coaches should get a vote on which refs get to call games in their conference.

For all of the people on here talking about how bad the reffing is this year pay your dues and hit the floor. The TSSAA is an equal opportunity establishment you can talk the talk so get out on the floor and blow the whistle. If not quit your whining and deal with it. <_<

Thanks for proving my point. You guys are to interested in whats being said on here then calling the games right.

Spy, go get you a whistle, a striped shirt, black slacks, black shoes, a jacket, pay your dues, take the test, and put a full tank of gas in your car THEN go referee and tell us how it really is.

No official goes out to shaft a team! An official's shirt has a black stripe on it and an white one. That means they are to be even for both. Referees referee the game in front of them! Geeker is right on it! Besides, I'd be willing to bet you would even fail the rules test so there is no need to take this conversation any further!