Union City-Humboldt-Lake County

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't seen Lake Co yet this season, but I know what they have...Based on how things have been going thus far, I'd have to say that UC and Humboldt will be matching up in the District and Region Championship games...Possibly even the state championship game...I'm not saying Lake Co. doesn't have a chance...They're a very good team and they're well coached...I'm just giving my opinion on how things appear to be right now...UC is playing very good ball right now, but here's my opinion with them...They have nowhere to go but down...I find it hard to believe that they can play much better than they already are...They're shooting the three ball well and playing great defense...They're not going to grow and they're not going to shoot too much of a better percentage...Humboldt, on the other hand, has all the upside in the world...They're guards are still maturing, the football players are still getting back into things, and Derek Sain gets better with every game...Humboldt's Odell Jackson scored a career high 22 points against Gibson Co. Monday night...I understand that it is Gibson Co., but if he can continue to improve at the rate that he has thus far in the season, then he may be the three point threat we need to go along with Cordero Wade...Wade just needs to have better shot selection, but the talent is there...Chauncey Hunt had 13 last night against Halls...That's another guard stepping up and contributing double digits in scoring...The knock on this team since the end of last year has been their guard play...If Jackson and Hunt continue to step their game up, and the big men continue playing as they have (Sain and Epperson had 19 and 20 respectively against Halls last night), then they will have very few weaknesses and very tough to beat...

Bigster, what's been Lake Co.'s problem so far...I mean, they're still winning games, but not exactly by impressive margins...They don't seem to have the firepower that they did last year....Is Tony Tyler's loss a big hit to this team?

Mightymac pretty well answered about the same as I'm thinking..Right now..it's the Channen Geanes show and if he misses or has a bad night ..so does Lake Co...Springer missed about 10 shots under the goal..we're missing layups..In Springer's case..I know the talent he has..He's only played two games..The inside game hasn't shown me anything yet!Right now...I'd have to go with U.C. as #1..followed by Humboldt and Lake Co..But ..Lake Co is winning...They only had 14 points at the half against Greenfield but came back with 23 in the 3rd period..so who knows..I've been saying all along that Lake Co will struggle until after Christmas..But..As bad as I have to admit..U.C. is the best team I've seen so far this year!

Mightymac pretty well answered about the same as I'm thinking..Right now..it's the Channen Geanes show and if he misses or has a bad night ..so does Lake Co...Springer missed about 10 shots under the goal..we're missing layups..In Springer's case..I know the talent he has..He's only played two games..The inside game hasn't shown me anything yet!Right now...I'd have to go with U.C. as #1..followed by Humboldt and Lake Co..But ..Lake Co is winning...They only had 14 points at the half against Greenfield but came back with 23 in the 3rd period..so who knows..I've been saying all along that Lake Co will struggle until after Christmas..But..As bad as I have to admit..U.C. is the best team I've seen so far this year!

I think Sep and Tony both handling the ball would be a big help..but the big men underneath isn't what I thought they might would be..Russel should get better as the season goes along and Springer should be better in a couple weeks..I'm worried about our fundamentals under the goal..hoping they know how to shift their feet and not just let someone just drive to the goal..If they do..then U.C. is going to just drive by for easy layups or we're going to have to have help and then thier man is going to be open or we're going to be called for a lot of fouls..I believe Lake Co will be all right in a few more weeks..They have a lot of athletes!

I haven't seen Lake Co yet this season, but I know what they have...Based on how things have been going thus far, I'd have to say that UC and Humboldt will be matching up in the District and Region Championship games...Possibly even the state championship game...I'm not saying Lake Co. doesn't have a chance...They're a very good team and they're well coached...I'm just giving my opinion on how things appear to be right now...UC is playing very good ball right now, but here's my opinion with them...They have nowhere to go but down...I find it hard to believe that they can play much better than they already are...They're the three ball well and playing great defense...They're not going to grow and they're not going to shoot too much of a better percentage...Humboldt, on the other hand, has all the upside in the world...They're guards are still maturing, the football players are still getting back into things, and Derek Sain gets better with every game...Humboldt's Odell Jackson scored a career high 22 points against Gibson Co. Monday night...I understand that it is Gibson Co., but if he can continue to improve at the rate that he has thus far in the season, then he may be the three point threat we need to go along with Cordero Wade...Wade just needs to have better shot selection, but the talent is there...Chauncey Hunt had 13 last night against Halls...That's another guard stepping up and contributing double digits in scoring...The knock on this team since the end of last year has been their guard play...If Jackson and Hunt continue to step their game up, and the big men continue playing as they have (Sain and Epperson had 19 and 20 respectively against Halls last night), then they will have very few weaknesses and very tough to beat...

Bigster, what's been Lake Co.'s problem so far...I mean, they're still winning games, but not exactly by impressive margins...They don't seem to have the firepower that they did last year....Is Tony Tyler's loss a big hit to this team?

Red,we not Halls or Gibson Co.We will continue to get better too.It is easier to play when you have a defense like Halls or Gibson Co.But when you have Union City in your face all nite,Odell and the other guards dont know what to do but turn the ball over.We are not playn our best ball yet.We are going to get even better and that is scary.

6'2" is you guys tallest player, how did you guys beat bolivar and haywood, do yall have like 4 d-1 guards or something?

Ben it's ok that you don't know...I'm sure because you think you have a couple of tall guys that you should be able to beat little ole 1A Union City....Let me educate you on something,look real close....Union City has been there,done that,got the hats,got the tee shirts and got the state championship rings...Union City doesn't care how tall you are,you can't defend what you can't catch...I've seen the scores of the games you guys have played...Union City usually scores what you guys score in an entire game by halftime...It's not that you all have played anybody either...Union City would be undefeated against your schedule and probably have more 100 point games...Another little thing I'll let you in on...White House would finish 4th in District 14A...Yeah,I know you probably just spit out your drink,but it's true..Union City has five guys scoring in double figures..You can't key on just one guy...The Union City guys may be small,but with their vertical leap,they play 6" taller at every position.....UC has been playing taller teams forever....Last three years including this year...31-3 in AA(ranked #1 in the state),30-9 last year(State Champions),This year 7-0..Should be 11-0 when they face off with Ensworth in the first round of the tournament...Four state championships in all,three in AA...Where was White House last year in the state tournament??..I would think you would have to be a state champion or at least state tournament participant to be in a Battle of the State....

BTW...You guys won't beat Haywood County.... :)

Here is a little fact that lets you know Union City doesn't need a tall player to beat teams with a tall player.......................................................State Championship vs. Grace Baptist.....6"10-6"11 Carter McMasters......Enough said right there....

Yeah,and Xavier Robinson(6'1") pushed him to the perimeter where he was shooting threes....

Red,we not Halls or Gibson Co.We will continue to get better too.It is easier to play when you have a defense like Halls or Gibson Co.But when you have Union City in your face all nite,Odell and the other guards dont know what to do but turn the ball over.We are not playn our best ball yet.We are going to get even better and that is scary.

I understand that...I even said in my post that I understand that it was Gibson Co. that he scored the 22 on...My point is, UC can't improve too much on what they are already doing...You guys are hitting double digit threes every game, and playing great defense....Other than free throw shooting, what part of the game can you drastically improve on? I'm not taking anything away from UC...They are a great team, best in the district, region, and state, so far...But, I don't see UC getting too much better than they already are...On the other hand, I see Humboldt with tons of upside and potential that they are just now scratching the surface of...I've been saying this since the beginning of the season...When this team gets it together and is playing their best game, it's going to be tough for anyone to beat them