here come the poor kids

lazarus

i have mulled this over for a couple of days

and curiosity has finally gotten the better of me.

i cant believe it is true, i just gotta know.

a person i know went to watch the BA-shelbyville basketball games.

according to him,

when the shelbyville teams came into the gym off the bus

the BA student body started chanting

"here come the poor kids, here come the..."

like i say,

i have a hard time believing it.

every contact i have ever had with BA

(admittedly none in many years)

the behavior of the students has been impeccable.

yet, this is a person with no connection to either team

just there to see a ball game.

(a private school person no less).

i dont have any reason to doubt the story.

is there some sort of "history" between shelbyville & BA?

has BA completely changed?

was this an anomaly & the students got in big trouble?

what is the real story?

does anyone know more about this?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It wouldn't be the first time. During a pep rally one year a private school coach thought it would be funny, I suppose, to tell the students how they were going to whip a bunch of rednecks later that night (Sequatchie). He didn't know, I'd hope, one of the students was from Sequatchie and even before cells it didn't take long for every player for Seq to know about it. Several of the private school students came to the game dressed in overalls, wearing straw hats, etc. The private school lost, by the way.

Wouldn't doubt it at all if it happened, not because it's BA or any private school, but because 14-18 year old kids do some stupid stuff sometimes, public or private schooled.

I would have to agree, but I don't think this is a private/public issue. In this particular case it was a private school, but even in the recent playoffs, a public school was chanting bu11$hi#, bu11$hi#, , bu11$hi#, at a ref's call. Students and fans who are docile all season do some incredibly stupid and outrageous things when big games come up, or just whenever they quit thinking.

Wouldn't doubt it at all if it happened, not because it's BA or any private school, but because 14-18 year old kids do some stupid stuff sometimes, public or private schooled.

yes, exactly....like the people from a public school that shall remain nameless who thought it would be hilarious to break a bunch of windshields (mine included) of some cars in the MBA student parking lot during a soccer game many years ago. I'm sure everyone on this board can cite an incident that a few idiots from both public and private schools perpetrated that doesn't capture the way the majority of people on either side really behave.

If high school students (both public & private) act like a fool or say something very stupid you can bet your sweet cheeks that they got their behavior from home. Go to their house and knock on the front door and there is a good chance that the person that answers the door will act like a fool or say something stupid.

If high school students (both public & private) act like a fool or say something very stupid you can bet your sweet cheeks that they got their behavior from home. Go to their house and knock on the front door and there is a good chance that the person that answers the door will act like a fool or say something stupid.

I would agree, in part, only because so many kids learn much of their behavior from their peers at school. I remember when my kindergarder came home and asked my mom what a "#ucker" was. He had never heard that word in our home, but heard it in class from a schoolmate. One acts like a fool, and many will follow, despite what they learned, or didn't learn at home.

I can tell you private schools doing stuff to other private schools, private schools doing stuff to public schools, public schools doing stuff to private schools, and public schools doing stuff to public schools. Some of these kids come from bad homes and don't know any better from what their parents have taught, and some come from great homes and just wanted to fit in.

If this did happen, sadly I am sure there were some parents who did think it was funny, and I am sure (acutally I know) there are others who wouldn't tolerate that kind of behavior and if they saw or found out their kids participated would not put up with it. Same goes with BRBB's situation with the windshield as well.

For what it's worth in defense of BA, one of the coolest things I have ever seen at a basketball game was last year at the Basketball Classic held at Belmont when during the 4th quarter of the Bolivar/Mitchell game the BA kids became the Bolivar student section for the night doing some of their same cheers they did for BA for Bolivar, booing over fouls called, and going crazy when Willie Kemp nearly made a one man comeback in the 4th quarter. Don't know how many of you have traveled to both Brentwood, TN and Bolivar, TN........but it's not exactly the same demographics. Don't put too much into this indident.

I would agree, in part, only because so many kids learn much of their behavior from their peers at school. I remember when my kindergarder came home and asked my mom what a "#ucker" was. He had never heard that word in our home, but heard it in class from a schoolmate. One acts like a fool, and many will follow, despite what they learned, or didn't learn at home.

When you look at all of the facts we all know that how kids act, what they say, where they go, and what they do is the responsibility of their parents and only their parents.

If my kids act like a fool it's my responsibility to take control of the situation and not the schools. Never ever blame the school or the school enviroment on your childs behavior because they are your children and you can correct their behavior if you are willing to take the necessary steps.

Just to be the devil's advocate....

At a basketball game a couple of years where my private high school was playing a small town public high school, an adult fan (presumably a parent) had a sign that read:

TICKET : $5

POPCORN: $1

COKE: $1

WATCHING RICH PRICKS GET THEIR BUTTS WHIPPED: PRICELESS

When you look at all of the facts we all know that how kids act, what they say, where they go, and what they do is the responsibility of their parents and only their parents.

If my kids act like a fool it's my responsibility to take control of the situation and not the schools. Never ever blame the school or the school enviroment on your childs behavior because they are your children and you can correct their behavior if you are willing to take the necessary steps.

I'm jsut saying you can't control everything your children see, do or say, when you're not there. Peer pressure is a reality and can and will affect what students do.