TSSAA officals & Bruce Pearl

WaCoJaCo

I agree with several of the comments made on this thread. If officials are so soft that they cannot stand the heckling then they need to find another job. If the heat is to hot, then they need to get out of the kitchen. That is a part of sports and fans have the right to say whatever they feel as long as they are not cursing or calling the official by name. Some of them especially refereeing high school sports needs to stop getting their certification at Wal-Mart. They are more interested in what goes on in the stands than what goes on on the floor.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with several of the comments made on this thread. If officials are so soft that they cannot stand the heckling then they need to find another job. If the heat is to hot, then they need to get out of the kitchen. That is a part of sports and fans have the right to say whatever they feel as long as they are not cursing or calling the official by name. Some of them especially refereeing high school sports needs to stop getting their certification at Wal-Mart. They are more interested in what goes on in the stands than what goes on on the floor.

You think Basketball is bad, you should see some of the goofs that have been certified for Soccer! At least this area has a long tradition in Basketball. Soccer is relatively new to most people in this state (in relation to basketball and football) so the pool of qualified officials in that sport is even smaller.

When someone has a flaw then they usually are very self concious of it and do not like it to be exposed. I think this is the case with officials. Most of them know they are terrible. Wouldn't suprise me if instead of talking about responsibilities on the court before each game, they are going over photographs of players and their parents. That would explain why they pay more attention to who's doing what in the stands then to who's doing what on the floor. That way they know who's kid to make calls against.

So, with that in mind, this ref, thinking along these same lines most likely, was probably a tad intimidated by the thought of this big-time coach coming into his gym. And when said big time coach starts to yell at the ref, the ref and his already wary awareness of Coach Pearl comes to regard it as a personal challenge rather than a normal fan yelling during a normal game, leading to his itchy trigger finger in the case of ejecting him. At least, that's my thoughts on the matter...

See that's most the problem. We have too many officials knowing what is going on in the stands and who is there. Also, there is way too much scoreboard watching by officials which makes them tense up and make even dumber calls. I have stated before in other threads and will here as well. What bothers me the most is the laziness and the out of shape-ness of some of these officials. Take pride in the uniform you're having to wear and get your butts in shape. Hustle and make it at least look like you know what you are doing. It is a disgrace to other officials that actually work and know the rules of each sport they officiate.

Edited by JHITE7

So this thread is a meeting of the "Bruce Pearl Haters" now.

pearl is a fan of the game just like us,he yelled let him play why because thats why 99 percent of the people were there to watch the 6 foot 11 kid do his thing i would have been mad to if i traveled all that way and they ticky tacked him to death.He should be treated like everyone else u think he was the only one yelling that?

In the wake of the world class egg Memphis laid in Knoxville I'm not attempting to "hate" on Pearl but I've never heard of any other big name coach getting kicked out of a high school game while on the recruiting trail. I believe he was indeed kicked out for who he was but not so the ref could " one-up" him. The guy was there to watch a player and there was probably nothing wrong with what he said. The thing is that Pearl is the head coach of an up and coming program in a major conference and is getting more well-known. If Tubby Smith, John Calipari, Bill Self, Lute Olsen, Billy Donovan, Rick Pitino, or Roy Williams did anything like that they might get kicked out too.

Pearl will be fine. This won't affect his recruiting or the Vols in general. It's really much ado about nothing.

Fact: Pearl has yet to be kicked out of a gym while recruiting.

1st incident he was watching his son, not recruiting.

2nd incident he was told to keep his mouth shut or he would be tossed.

Are TSSAA officals throwing Bruce Pearl out of games just to make a name for themselves? Do they have nothing to hang their hat on but to be able to read their name in the paper for throwing Bruce out of a game? If you have been to a High School Basketball game you know their are people yelling at the refs. the entire game and you rarely see anyone tosed. Bruce Pearl yells out "Let them play" and a ref. stops the game and throws him out. Well congradulations to the ref., you got your name in the paper. Now everybody know's what a worm you are.

Who was the ref?? What is his name. Probably a Alabama or Georgia fan huh.

I agree that Coach Pearl must conduct himself in a more professional manner. He needs to be held to a higher standard. However, a TSSAA ref shouldn't be the one holding him to a higher standard. While Coach Pearl probably shouldn't have said what he said, if anyone else would have said it, they would not have been tossed. The refs need to focus more on what is going on in the games. Let Coach Pearl worry about himself.

Bruce Pearl is a great coach and is very passionate about the game. The most probable reason the official wanted Coach Pearl removed from the gym was not what he said or how he said it, but where he was when he said it. Officials will not allow someone on the floor to talk to them during the game and will have them removed it they do so. After reading the article in the Tennessean, it appears that this may be the case with Coach Pearl. I found out about this the hard way myself. After having coached and watching my kids play and spending a lot of time yelling at officials from the bench and from the stands and never receiving a technical or warning, I was ejected from a game when my son was playing in one gym and my daughter was playing in an adjacent gym. I was standing at the end of the gym floor so I could see both games at once. I simply asked for consistent calls in a very low tone when the official was nearby and was surprised when the school administrator asked me to leave as was most of the other fans who never heard anything. I later found out it was not what I said or how I said it but where I was when I said it. Either way it was no big deal, and I learned to be quiet while standing on the floor. The rule makes sense when you think about it and the referees have every right to maintain safety on the floor. I wasn't at the Bruce Pearl ejection, but reading the article sure brought back some memories. Bruce is a great coach and there is no need to blow this incident out of proportion.

Bruce Pearl is a great coach and is very passionate about the game. The most probable reason the official wanted Coach Pearl removed from the gym was not what he said or how he said it, but where he was when he said it. Officials will not allow someone on the floor to talk to them during the game and will have them removed it they do so. After reading the article in the Tennessean, it appears that this may be the case with Coach Pearl. I found out about this the hard way myself. After having coached and watching my kids play and spending a lot of time yelling at officials from the bench and from the stands and never receiving a technical or warning, I was ejected from a game when my son was playing in one gym and my daughter was playing in an adjacent gym. I was standing at the end of the gym floor so I could see both games at once. I simply asked for consistent calls in a very low tone when the official was nearby and was surprised when the school administrator asked me to leave as was most of the other fans who never heard anything. I later found out it was not what I said or how I said it but where I was when I said it. Either way it was no big deal, and I learned to be quiet while standing on the floor. The rule makes sense when you think about it and the referees have every right to maintain safety on the floor. I wasn't at the Bruce Pearl ejection, but reading the article sure brought back some memories. Bruce is a great coach and there is no need to blow this incident out of proportion.

Your Bruce Pearl arn't you?