Rutledge Girls

boxn1

Anybody got any takes on the G.P game? Didn't get to see it and was wondering how the teams faired.

I thought we played GP pretty well. It was about a six point game and GP made some freethrows down the stretch. We didn't do a good job as a team handling the ball and had around 27 turnovers. GP has a good team though and does a good job with their press. All in all, the Lady Pioneers were competitive during the game and lost to a good team.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought we played GP pretty well. It was about a six point game and GP made some freethrows down the stretch. We didn't do a good job as a team handling the ball and had around 27 turnovers. GP has a good team though and does a good job with their press. All in all, the Lady Pioneers were competitive during the game and lost to a good team.

Gc Grizzlies so what was your take on the RHS vs PFHS last night. Personally i think Rutledge was ridiculous to only have 10 pints going into half sad...sad. The girls and boys have forgotten what team ball is about. Not sure why these two teams are falling apart but i sure hope they get it together both teams have a shot in regions and districts if they'd come together. If little roach and waldrop hadn't stepped up in the 2nd half we'd came home with a loss. Their defense and baskets made the difference and Acuff's 3 was nice accompanied with Edde hitting her foul shots and brabson baskets but bottom line the 2nd string pulled it out for them. One thing about last night game they stunk as a team.

On another note Friday night being Senior night i sure hope the coaches ( boys and girls) let the seniors have their night like Johnson and Starbird.

Pioneer123,

Not sure what your agenda is, but considering that the teams had not practiced or played for 7 days due to school being out I thought they both had great performances. The girls took a while to get going but isn't it great to win when you stink as a team as you said. As for the boys they lost by only 3 to the #6 team in the state with a great team performance. I trust that both head coaches will handle Senior Night properly. You sure have some strong opinions mostly negative. Are you a supporter or just someone who wants to be part of the problem rather than part of the solution. Maybe you should give coaching a try since you have all the answers.

Pioneer123,

Not sure what your agenda is, but considering that the teams had not practiced or played for 7 days due to school being out I thought they both had great performances. The girls took a while to get going but isn't it great to win when you stink as a team as you said. As for the boys they lost by only 3 to the #6 team in the state with a great team performance. I trust that both head coaches will handle Senior Night properly. You sure have some strong opinions mostly negative. Are you a supporter or just someone who wants to be part of the problem rather than part of the solution. Maybe you should give coaching a try since you have all the answers.

RHS02

Don't mean to be so negative but i just get aggrevated when there is so much potential on both teams. For the record i am a coach maybe that's the problem when you can see other coaches faults and not your own. Bet you know nothing about that huh!

Gc Grizzlies so what was your take on the RHS vs PFHS last night. Personally i think Rutledge was ridiculous to only have 10 pints going into half sad...sad. The girls and boys have forgotten what team ball is about. Not sure why these two teams are falling apart but i sure hope they get it together both teams have a shot in regions and districts if they'd come together. If little roach and waldrop hadn't stepped up in the 2nd half we'd came home with a loss. Their defense and baskets made the difference and Acuff's 3 was nice accompanied with Edde hitting her foul shots and brabson baskets but bottom line the 2nd string pulled it out for them. One thing about last night game they stunk as a team.

On another note Friday night being Senior night i sure hope the coaches ( boys and girls) let the seniors have their night like Johnson and Starbird.

Great win for the Lady Pioneers! I think early on (for about 3 quarters) they looked like a team that hadn't played or practiced for almost a week. I thought it was great how they didn't quit when they were down by 20+ points. Kudos to all five of the press team girls that came in and gave the team the lift they needed in the fourth quarter. Roach and Wardrop scored the points from most of the steals, but the other three along with them really gave the team what they needed. I think the others with Roach and Wardrop were Johnson, Crews and Stratton, but I'm not positive. If I left anyone out, you know who you were, great job! Also, I thought Coach Roach did some of his best coaching down in that fourth quarter switching the two groups in and out for offense and defense. There were some really clutch plays down the stretch. I think the girls are playing together as a team. Granted the start last night was way off for everyone, but I felt last night was a total team effort. These girls seem to have a better chemistry than some of the teams of the past. The perimeter shooting was off probably from being out so long, but you also have to give PF credit for the tenacious "D" that they play. Conchita gets her dollars worth from her nickels worth of talent. She gets her team to play in you face defense whether its zone or man. The Lady Pioneers didn't get many easy shots for most of the game. I am tickled for them to be where they are right now. If you would have told me they would win at PF and Gap before the season started I would have told you no way. It will be tough Friday against Gap, but a win there and at Union (not easy to win there either) and the girls will be in third place. Most Pioneer fans would just love to see the girls make it to the Region. Its been a while since they went to the Region. All of us die hard fans just got accustomed to going in the years past.

(Oh yeah, I would have hated to be a PF's practice today. Yikes!)

RHS02

Don't mean to be so negative but i just get aggrevated when there is so much potential on both teams. For the record i am a coach maybe that's the problem when you can see other coaches faults and not your own. Bet you know nothing about that huh!

pioneer123,

Which Pioneer team are you talking about. Sounds to me like you'd like to take Coach Roach and Coach Comb's chairs and lead the Lady Pioneers yourself. Let's see, how many years has Coach Roach been sitting in those chairs coaching? 10 years, 20 years, surely not more than 30 years. Of course, I'm sure you've been at it for 40 or 50 years. That's how you know so much more about coaching ladies basketball than he does. Coach Combs seems to be well beyond his years in experience at coaching. A good coach realizes that even though the first 3 quarters are important, it's that 4th quarter that really counts. That's something a "seasoned" coach knows that a "rookie" would need to learn. As far as playing team ball, the Lady Pioneers are like any other team. They have bad quarters and bad nights. No one or two players win a game. It takes all 5 players contributing their part to win a game, especially against a team as good as Pigeon Forge. Again, that's something a "seasoned" coach would know, and something a "rookie" would need to learn with a little experience. I've seen a lot of teams play over the years. I've seen teams made up of individual players, and team players. Those made up of individual players don't pull out a game like the Lady Pioneers did at Pigeon Forge. So, that would mean they were a TEAM and not a bunch of individuals. I'm glad the missus and me loaded up the old redneck van and crossed the mountains to watch the game. We weren't disappointed! You need to north over the mountain into our country and help out our coaches. They really need it right now. What about those Rutledge boys? 6th team in the state and Rutledge only lost by 3 points, and in Pigeon Forge's Crib at that. That's an accomplishment any coach or player should be proud of. If I were going to use the name Pioneer in my screen name, I'd be more supportive of my team/school. I know we sure are over here in the mountains! I think you need to go after Coach Roach and Coach Combs' jugular while you can, and before they get into the new school. I'm sure you can come up with a team that plays proper "team ball" and wins every game they play, where everyone passes the ball off no matter what kind of shot they may have. I've coached a little myself, and know that talk like yours aimed at your own team does nothing but harm. You need to apologize to the team, coaches, and the school for your attitude. They are due it, and a little "humble pie" would do you a lot of good! Go get 'em COACH!

BORN TO AGITATE AND LOVING IT!

pioneer123,

Which Pioneer team are you talking about. Sounds to me like you'd like to take Coach Roach and Coach Comb's chairs and lead the Lady Pioneers yourself. Let's see, how many years has Coach Roach been sitting in those chairs coaching? 10 years, 20 years, surely not more than 30 years. Of course, I'm sure you've been at it for 40 or 50 years. That's how you know so much more about coaching ladies basketball than he does. Coach Combs seems to be well beyond his years in experience at coaching. A good coach realizes that even though the first 3 quarters are important, it's that 4th quarter that really counts. That's something a "seasoned" coach knows that a "rookie" would need to learn. As far as playing team ball, the Lady Pioneers are like any other team. They have bad quarters and bad nights. No one or two players win a game. It takes all 5 players contributing their part to win a game, especially against a team as good as Pigeon Forge. Again, that's something a "seasoned" coach would know, and something a "rookie" would need to learn with a little experience. I've seen a lot of teams play over the years. I've seen teams made up of individual players, and team players. Those made up of individual players don't pull out a game like the Lady Pioneers did at Pigeon Forge. So, that would mean they were a TEAM and not a bunch of individuals. I'm glad the missus and me loaded up the old redneck van and crossed the mountains to watch the game. We weren't disappointed! You need to north over the mountain into our country and help out our coaches. BORN TO AGITATE AND LOVING IT!

well I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers on this one and no i don't have the experience Coach Roach has but as i said sometimes one wonders why a coach does what he does. The fourth qtr plan did work and maybe it should be used more when the first 5 can't get it done and the fresh hands and feet of the second 5 can. I am a true Pioneer fan i just don't look through rose colored glasses always. I just want to see both teams play to their potential that should be one thing we agree on, both are loaded with talent. I do APOLOGIZE to the teams and coaches if i offended you and hope we go all the way. By the way you do a good job of agitating. Go big blue!!!!!

well I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers on this one and no i don't have the experience Coach Roach has but as i said sometimes one wonders why a coach does what he does. The fourth qtr plan did work and maybe it should be used more when the first 5 can't get it done and the fresh hands and feet of the second 5 can. I am a true Pioneer fan i just don't look through rose colored glasses always. I just want to see both teams play to their potential that should be one thing we agree on, both are loaded with talent. I do APOLOGIZE to the teams and coaches if i offended you and hope we go all the way. By the way you do a good job of agitating. Go big blue!!!!!

pioneer123

Class response! Hey, everyone has the right to their opinion. Trouble is, it's easier to "critique" the games from the bleachers than it is from the "hot seats". Sometimes we see things in the stands the players and coaches don't see from where they are sitting. 4 quarters, 5 quarters, what does it matter as long as in the end, we have at least one point more than our opponent! Nothing wrong with "rose colored glasses". Everything looks much rosier through them. That's a good thing, sometimes. I don't care what you are doing, "fresh hands and feet" always make a difference. That what substitutions are all about. That's also what "team play" is all about. If one player is in a "slump", maybe someone on the bench can make the plays. That's what happens most all games. It's "team play". You fight right on for your Pioneers. They need good fans, just make sure you give them an off night or two. Everyone has one. Thanks for the comment on my "agitating". I practice hard to be the best. Every now and then, someone knocks me off the top, but I always come back. You keep supporting your Pioneers, and I'll do the same from the north. I plan on crossing the mountains tonight in the old redneck van, so I guess I'll see you there, even if we don't know it! Go Pioneers!

Born to Agitate - Love to do it - Agitating is my life!

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck to the Lady Pioneers on Tuesday against a good Cumberland Gap team. Union County played the Lady Pioneers close on Friday, but a good change on Defense in the second half cooled off the hot shooting Lady Patriots. It's good to win the close games, especially when you don't play your best. With a win on Tuesday the girls from RHS could finish 3rd in the district for the regular season. That would put them playing Union in the first round of the district with a chance of playing in the Region hanging in the balance. Best of luck to the Lady Pioneers. I hope they bring their "A" game.

District 2AA fans:

When you know your District matchups and game dates, please post them.

I understand that GP and CC play monday with the one seed hanging in the balance. Is it correct that CC is undefeated while GP's only loss was at CC?

Who wins the tiebreaker if GP wins tommorrow? I take it Pigeon Forge will be the three seed with Rutledge and Cumberland Gap playing for the four seed. Are all district games at Cumberland Gap?

Thanks.

Edited by CycloneFan