Tennessee Ranked #18 in High School Football

Solomon

ESPN released a rankings earlier today ranking each state on pro, college, and high school football levels. I was surprised (and happy) that Tennessee ranked 18th in the country in their high school rankings.

Here's a link to the overall poll.

And here is what they had to say about Tennessee specifically.

Only thing I feel they got wrong was that they said Memphis was the home to the state's top programs. Memphis may have the best talent, but not the best programs.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea, saw that junk myself. Like most national press they have no clue. ESPN does not like Tennessee and it shows. There is no question the best over all football is played around the Knoxville and Chattanogga areas. Memphis may have a few more high profile athletes but when it comes team championships Memphis is second to only upper East Tennessee.

Areas

Knoxville (Blount Co.)

Chattanogga

Nashville

Memphis

Tri-Cities

In that order IMO has the best HS football.

This topic is garbage because Memphis Football in this state was lousy this past season. Even Melrose was "down" this year. What in the heck could qualify an idiot who'd write something like that as being "an expert"??????

Tennessee High School Football:

Brentwood Academy

Maryville

Alcoa

Fulton

MBA

Milan

Trousdale Co.

Pearl Cohn

MBA

Riverdale

THERE ARE 10 MULTIPLE TIME STATE CHAMPIONSHIP HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL PROGRAMS THAT I CAN THINK OF RIGHT AWAY IN THIS STATE & NONE OF THEM ARE LOCATED IN THE MEMPHIS AREA.

Do I even have to mention the college talent that each of those schools has produced over the years that have gone on to enjoy huge success??????

ESPN released a rankings earlier today ranking each state on pro, college, and high school football levels. I was surprised (and happy) that Tennessee ranked 18th in the country in their high school rankings.

Here's a link to the overall poll.

And here is what they had to say about Tennessee specifically.

Only thing I feel they got wrong was that they said Memphis was the home to the state's top programs. Memphis may have the best talent, but not the best programs.

The actual quote was "Tennesseans know how to spend a Friday night. Memphis is a city with some tough programs. Alcoa High was home to the No. 1 tight end in the land last year, current Seminole Brandon Warren. Spring 2006 D-I signees: 42. Fall 2006 high school football teams: 321."

I don't see how 'tough programs' equates to 'top programs'. Germantown is usually pretty tough. Melrose and others are as well. A lot of Memphis kids go on to the next level.

A more telling stat for future dads and moms thinking their son will get that D1 scholarship. Look at these odds for Tennessee and some surrounding states from that same ESPN story:

Tennessee: 321 High Schools - 42 D-1 signees.

Alabama: 370 High Schools - 74 D-1 signees.

Georgia: 369 High Schools - 143 D-1 signees.

Kentucky: 224 High Schools - 26 D-1 signees.

Arkansas: 202 High Schools - 22 D-1 signees.

Tennessee= 13%

Alabama=20%

Georgia=38%

Kentucky=11%

Arkansas=10%

Mississippi???

Tennessee is ranked about where I think it should be. While the above statistics tell only part of the story, the other part would be the quality of athlete, schools outside of the state who recruit these athletes. the ability of the athlete to qualify academically, and- hold onto your hats- the racial mix within those states. Also, no mention statistically of the number of DII or other divisions.

The actual quote was "Tennesseans know how to spend a Friday night. Memphis is a city with some tough programs. Alcoa High was home to the No. 1 tight end in the land last year, current Seminole Brandon Warren. Spring 2006 D-I signees: 42. Fall 2006 high school football teams: 321."

I don't see how 'tough programs' equates to 'top programs'. Germantown is usually pretty tough. Melrose and others are as well. A lot of Memphis kids go on to the next level.

Yeah I'm sure that Frayser, Mitchell, Hillcrest, & Trezevant really strike fear into the hearts of teams around the state :thumb:

Edited by Big Country

Yea, saw that junk myself. Like most national press they have no clue. ESPN does not like Tennessee and it shows. There is no question the best over all football is played around the Knoxville and Chattanogga areas. Memphis may have a few more high profile athletes but when it comes team championships Memphis is second to only upper East Tennessee.

Areas

Knoxville (Blount Co.)

Chattanogga

Nashville

Memphis

Tri-Cities

In that order IMO has the best HS football.

ESPN is a large media company owned by the Disney corporation and it employs over 1000. Are all 1000 employees part of this conspiracy to dis Tennessee? I know, I know Peyton didn't win the Heisman because somehow and never explained, ESPN figured out that by not "electing" Manning, it increased its revenue. And somehow by not ranking Tennessee high school football higher, its ratings will improve.

Edited by uncfan13

ESPN is a large media company owned by the Disney corporation and it employs over 1000. Are all 1000 employees part of this conspiracy to dis Tennessee? I know, I know Peyton didn't win the Heisman because somehow and never explained, ESPN figured out that by not "electing" Manning, it increased its revenue. And somehow by not ranking Tennessee high school football higher, its ratings will improve.

There is no question, The brass at ESPN hates the University of Tennessee. No, not the 1,000 employees, but the top brass. It is very well known. Tennessee might just have the cleanest sports programs in the country as ESPN has practically turned over every rock in Knoxville looking for infractions. This has been going on for years. Just as a example. During the tutering epasode (that turned out to be total bull) ESPN officals showed up in Knoxville offering athletes $20,000.00 to testify they had test taken for them by tutors. To bad for ESPN, they had no takers. Thats just one example. And ESPN continues to this day with this witch hunt.

There is no question, The brass at ESPN hates the University of Tennessee. No, not the 1,000 employees, but the top brass. It is very well known. Tennessee might just have the cleanest sports programs in the country as ESPN has practically turned over every rock in Knoxville looking for infractions. This has been going on for years. Just as a example. During the tutering epasode (that turned out to be total bull) ESPN officals showed up in Knoxville offering athletes $20,000.00 to testify they had test taken for them by tutors. To bad for ESPN, they had no takers. Thats just one example. And ESPN continues to this day with this witch hunt.

I knew it, I knew it, there's a conspiracy at ESPN because the "top brass'" children couldn't get in to that bastion of educational excellence and now they "hate" the school. And even better, you've scooped all the media including the Sentinel with a story you can prove because your third cousins roomate's best friend heard a former walk on who didn't make the team talk about that "there was a guy offering money around UT for dirt on the program". Have you thought about going to the National Inquirer with this news? They're not much into fact checking so they might want to publish it beside the article about the Big Foot sighting near Townsend.

Edited by uncfan13