Westview Tourn

sls

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the article from Sunday's Paducah Sun.........for your reading enjoyment.... :lol:

Late calls mar Lady Marshals’ excursion

HIGH SCHOOL BASKETBALL

By Jason Yates jyates@paducahsun.com--270.575.8662

Sunday, December 31, 2006

MARTIN, Tenn. — Marshall County coach Howard Beth and his Lady Marshals paid dearly for his stubbornness in the finals of the 42nd annual Martin Lions Club Christmas Invitational.

Up three points in a game they never trailed, the Lady Marshals were forced to stand by idly as the host school shot five free throws with the game clock frozen at 2.3 seconds. Martin Westview’s Kendra Owens knocked down 4 of 5 free throws after Marshall’s Taylor Singery was whistled for a touch foul — then a technical foul — on Owens’ desperation 3-pointer.

The Lady Chargers finished with 37 points. Marshall had only 35.

Beth takes the blame. He was warned.

“I was told not to come to this tournament,” he said. “I came to it, and I paid for it. That’s all there was to it.”

Singery made one of two free throws with 11 seconds remaining for a 35-32 lead, and Owens got within 25 feet of the basket before flinging a prayer at the rim. Her answer took the form of a referee’s toot.

Singery (nine points, 12 rebounds, half a dozen floor burns) reacted by leaping into the air two times. The technical was called before her second landing.

“It was a well called ball game all the way through, but there’s no way you make those two calls with two seconds left,” Beth said. “We’ve played some other Tennessee schools, and when I told them we were coming down here, they said we were crazy. A lot of Tennessee schools won’t come to this tournament.”

Martin Westview coach Sean Stephenson elected to travel the high road.

“I couldn’t see whether she got fouled or not,” he said. “And honestly, I couldn’t see the technical. I turned around after she got fouled.”

Even more fortunate for the Lady Chargers, Owens was the best option to toe the free-throw line. Stephenson estimated her season percentage at 83 percent, and she buried her first four attempts with no one standing around her.

Marshall led 20-7 at halftime, 29-18 at the end of the third quarter and 34-28 with 46 seconds left. Owens made two free throws with 35 seconds left, and Westview got the ball back when Jessica Holder (12 points, 12 rebounds) and the ball were both bumped out of bounds.

Owens hit a runner in the lane with 18 seconds, just the Lady Chargers 12th field goal in 50 attempts. In two games against the Lady Marshals, including last Saturday’s 49-39 loss at the Old School Shootout at Racer Arena, Westview made 6 of 47 3-pointers.

“I told my kids that sometimes good things happen to you if you keep fighting,” Stephenson said, “and don’t quit.”

That cannot be taken away from the Lady Chargers. Despite a horrific first half in which it made just 3 of 22 shots against Marshall’s suffocating matchup zone, Westview scrapped until the very end.

The Lady Chargers forced 19 second-half turnovers by pressing the entire half, limiting the Lady Marshals to just 11 shots. After getting outrebounded 23-12 in the first half, the Lady Chargers were beaten just 16-14 the next 16 minutes.

Beth did not deny it was his team that put the game into the officials’ hands.

“We missed some foul shots in the second half (2-for-5 in the fourth), so it shouldn’t have gotten there,” he said. “We made 20 turnovers in the second half, so it shouldn’t have gotten there.”

Beth and his team immediately left the court before Westview was presented with its sixth consecutive Lions Club trophy. The second-place trophy will not be making the trip back to Draffenville.

And Marshall County will not be making a trip back to Martin.

“We won’t be back to Martin Westview, we’ll put it like that,” Beth said.

But he will use the experience as a teaching point.

“We may learn more from the situation than anything else,” he said. “Next time, hopefully we will handle it better.”

Pressley Doom scored her 1,000th career point with a pair of free throws in the fourth quarter.

———

Marshall Co. (9-2) 15 20 29 35

Martin Westview 3 7 18 37

MARSHALL – Holder 12, Singery 9, P. Doom 6, Gilland 4, Beasley 4, A. Doom, Thomas, Smith.

Field Goals 13/36. 3-pointers 1/7 (Beasley). Free throws 8/13. Rebounds 39.

WESTVIEW – Higgs 11, Owens 10, Rechis 9, Thomas 5, Swaim 2, Nanney, Ables, Brooks, Lester, Scott.

Field Goals 12/50. 3-pointers 3/26 (Thomas, Rechis, Higgs). Free throws 10/16. Rebounds 26.

I was unable to attend the game (had other obligations). I agree that I don't like to see a ref decide a game (However, if a player is fouled in the last seconds - it ought to be called.) However, what remains with me is that fact that Coach Beth, even if he didn't like how the game was decided) appears to have shown poor sportsmanship. If I was Coach Beth, I might have given the refs an ear full. However, his conduct appears to some, that he is simply a poor loser. Part of playing the game is how to lose with dignity.

Should the ref called a T if the girl didn't say anything? Probably not! However, not being at the game, the girl might have been warned other times about her conduct - don't know? I wasn't there.

What will remain with the general public is the fact not that his team lost the game, but the fact that the coach did not lose gracefully. He taught his team that when things don't go your way in life, you act like a crybaby.

I agree with westviewman...it was very poor sportsmanship shown by the team, the coach, and the crowd. They went in the locker room as soon as the game was over and did not receive their runners-up plaque or the individual all-tournament team awards. Also, when westview was going to receive their plaque, the marshall co fans were booing. Agree that they could have been upset about things, but they didn't have to go that far with it.

Ya notice there's no mention that the Marshall County coach allegedly threw his ink pen and play board against the locker room wall, splattering the pen into one of his player's eyes, and causing medical attention to be sought by the trainer on hand. Funny how this "writer" for the Paducah Sun missed that moment of their coach's temper that put ink into one of his player's eyes.

Coach Beth didn't make it to the awards presentation because he was at the hospitality room getting some cheese with his WHINE. To his credit though, those things never happen in Kentucky or Marshall County. ;) Pull the kids off the floor on a bad call in the first quarter next time. :angry:

Any truth to the rumor that the coach was REALLY upset because Not-so-Heavy ate all the cookies in the hospitality room??? :angry:

I've been on both sides of this story. I did play Westview at Westview in a playday and felt that there was some very questionable calls being made, none in our favor obviously. And prior to going to Westview for that play-day we played Marshall County at Belmont Camp where Coach Beth, who is the father of former Vanderbilt player Aaron Beth, made a complete nut of himself at that camp as well. He cried about the officiating the entire game and even at one point called Coach Cross out onto the court where he notified everyone at the camp that he would not be coming back to the camp ever again, not that anyone really cared. My problem is with the example he is setting for the young ladies that play for him. Someone must step in somewhere and tell him that he is not positive for the game and has a personality that could be more harmful to young, impressionable athletes than helpful.