Science Hill Coach?

HighSchoolFanatic

Rankin let it be known to close allies last week that he would be living in JC very soon.

Everything else is a formality :blink: Might as well be ready!

Why would Rankin leave Alcoa? Why would he go to a team with less talent, less support, and less tradition than the one he has now? I mean if Alcoa would probably beat Science Hill by 35... It just doesn't make sence...

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How much is he making in Alcoa? I'd say it would be a big raise.

HA! He's working for the school system with the highest paid teachers in the state; he's at the top of the salary scale; he's getting administrator's pay; plus a bonus for getting in the playoffs and winning the championship. A big raise? I doubt it.

I can't believe he'd move his young family (he has a 7th grader, 5th grader, and a 4 year old) after just 1 year at Alcoa, especially after citing the reasons he left Murfreesboro (wanted a small school/town atmosphere to raise his kids). This is only the 3rd head coaching job he's had (Smith County and Riverdale) and he's in his 50's.

When the previous head coach got the job, Rankin was in the running, but he pulled his name out because he wasn't ready to make a move. I know head coaches sometimes say things they don't mean, but he told the admin that Alcoa was it; the last place he was planning on coaching. He told the boosters he was planning on being here 10 years (I realize "plans" can change) and that he wasn't a "job hopper".

Gonna be interesting to see how this one plays out.

Edited by tornadogold

HA! He's working for the school system with the highest paid teachers in the state; he's at the top of the salary scale; he's getting administrator's pay; plus a bonus for getting in the playoffs and winning the championship. A big raise? I doubt it.

I can't believe he'd move his young family (he has a 7th grader, 5th grader, and a 4 year old) after just 1 year at Alcoa, especially after citing the reasons he left Murfreesboro (wanted a small school/town atmosphere to raise his kids). This is only the 3rd head coaching job he's had (Smith County and Riverdale) and he's in his 50's.

When the previous head coach got the job, Rankin was in the running, but he pulled his name out because he wasn't ready to make a move. I know head coaches sometimes say things they don't mean, but he told the admin that Alcoa was it; the last place he was planning on coaching. He told the boosters he was planning on being here 10 years (I realize "plans" can change) and that he wasn't a "job hopper".

Between the average salary of #3 Alcoa and #12 Johnson City, there is only about 5K per year. This might sway a young teacher, but for a veteran close to retirement, there other things to consider. Building a successful 5A program looks as nice on a resume as a state championship.

If I was Rankin,I would be "planning" my second coaching career...the one I have when I am drawing my state pension. Lots of small colleges in NE Tennessee and lots of exposure in 5A.

To pick up and move after just one year. And he's 50ish. Not something he's gonna do. Not something his wife is gonna want to do. Unless the salary increase and/or perks are dramatic. No shortage of drama in this story. However, I remember when my Soph. was entering 7th grade and we knew we had to make a decision before his 8th grade year in order to begin working on the plan. After they enter the 8th everything changes. Their stock rises tremendously. Is his 7th grader a boy? Would he do it for a $5000 increase is salary? No. How about $10,000...No. $15,000...let us think about it. $20,000...let's talk. $25,000...where is the nearest golf course? I mean...we do live in Gods Country guys. 1 hour to the slopes, 15 minutes to the lakes...45 at most, some of the most famous parts of the Appalachian Trail, Bristol Raceway (sic), hunting in Johnson County...1 hour, 6 hours to the beaches. We live in a recreational hub. We live here and we don't know it. But everybody wants to live here. I would say it is a very attractive consideration. And the money being the least of those considerations. He wants a place to put a rocking chair...this is it! Not to mention the fact that SHHS is the 10th largest school in the state. And competing against Dobyns Bennett for comparison. And ETSU getting ready to pump up the jam. What was the downside again?

His oldest and youngest are boys.

You zeroed in on 1 reason he wouldn't take the job: SHHS is the 10th largest school in the state. According to Rankin, that was 1 reason for leaving Riverdale: too big.

Hopefully if he does decide to go, he'll tell the boys first (unlike our last coach...we had to hear it from a Knoxville news station) like he did at Riverdale.

Sorry to burst the Hilltopper fantasy bubble, but Mr. Rankin is not leaving Alcoa for Science Hill. Get real. And dont expect to see a familiar CNC coach anytime soon either. In all reality, I would put my money on Don Woods from Morristown West. Yea, this comes as a shock to you and some trojan faithful, but its all about the money. I dont know how much they are offering to pay their next coach, but I do know that they are desperately wanting to turn the program around. Dollars plays a huge roll. Rankin is happy in Alcoa, Turner is happy in Mossy Creek, and Woods is tired of losing to Maryville every year. With many East Tennessee 5A schools down, I wouldnt be suprised to see coach Woods try to make a run at the title with a different shade of maroon next season. Good luck SH. :lol:

Sorry to burst the Hilltopper fantasy bubble, but Mr. Rankin is not leaving Alcoa for Science Hill. Get real. And dont expect to see a familiar CNC coach anytime soon either. In all reality, I would put my money on Don Woods from Morristown West. Yea, this comes as a shock to you and some trojan faithful, but its all about the money. I dont know how much they are offering to pay their next coach, but I do know that they are desperately wanting to turn the program around. Dollars plays a huge roll. Rankin is happy in Alcoa, Turner is happy in Mossy Creek, and Woods is tired of losing to Maryville every year. With many East Tennessee 5A schools down, I wouldnt be suprised to see coach Woods try to make a run at the title with a different shade of maroon next season. Good luck SH. :lol:

Well, if he's tired of losing to Maryville he better stay in 4A! Maryville will be moving to 5A soon.