why is coffee county so bad this year

safety

Wow! That is about all I can say. There seems to be a pretty clear division on this and it has been heading that way for a few years now. Out of all the years Taylor has been there, seriously there are only three seasons going into where I thought they should be good or at least competitive. The 99-00 season and the two previous seasons before this one. No way the 99-00 team should have lost in the first round of the tournament. That team had the most talent of all the teams he has had. Then the 04-05 team had the group that won at Westwood, which was the only winning team Westwood has had in forever. Then last year, the team was as good as Micah and Samuel were. When they played well, the team played well. They won games they shouldn't have and they lost games they shouldn't have. Problem is I don't see them winning any time soon. The feeder programs for all sports are atrocious in Coffee County, with the exception being softball and it is no coincidence that the most successful program at Coffee County is softball. Baseball is starting to get there. Are politics played at Coffee County? Yes. They are at almost every program, so is the world we live in. People want to bring in an experienced coach. You are going to be hard pressed to find such a coach that will come to Coffee County, because of the situation at hand. You are also going to be hard pressed to find a young coach with a solid upside because of the situation at hand. If the job opened today, I would bet there would be no more than 5 people apply for the job and three of those five would probably be local. Can things get better? Sure. Will hiring a new coach solve these problems? No. The talent level is never going to equate that of a state contender. But there is no way they should be a one-win team. You hate to settle for mediocrity, but sometimes your best is mediocre. That hard part is accepting that fact. To me Taylor should leave, not because he is doing a bad job, but because he has a young family and no one should take this kind of abuse. I think it would be best for him to just get away from the situation. Then let someone else go into the lion's den.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! That is about all I can say. There seems to be a pretty clear division on this and it has been heading that way for a few years now. Out of all the years Taylor has been there, seriously there are only three seasons going into where I thought they should be good or at least competitive. The 99-00 season and the two previous seasons before this one. No way the 99-00 team should have lost in the first round of the tournament. That team had the most talent of all the teams he has had. Then the 04-05 team had the group that won at Westwood, which was the only winning team Westwood has had in forever. Then last year, the team was as good as Micah and Samuel were. When they played well, the team played well. They won games they shouldn't have and they lost games they shouldn't have. Problem is I don't see them winning any time soon. The feeder programs for all sports are atrocious in Coffee County, with the exception being softball and it is no coincidence that the most successful program at Coffee County is softball. Baseball is starting to get there. Are politics played at Coffee County? Yes. They are at almost every program, so is the world we live in. People want to bring in an experienced coach. You are going to be hard pressed to find such a coach that will come to Coffee County, because of the situation at hand. You are also going to be hard pressed to find a young coach with a solid upside because of the situation at hand. If the job opened today, I would bet there would be no more than 5 people apply for the job and three of those five would probably be local. Can things get better? Sure. Will hiring a new coach solve these problems? No. The talent level is never going to equate that of a state contender. But there is no way they should be a one-win team. You hate to settle for mediocrity, but sometimes your best is mediocre. That hard part is accepting that fact. To me Taylor should leave, not because he is doing a bad job, but because he has a young family and no one should take this kind of abuse. I think it would be best for him to just get away from the situation. Then let someone else go into the lion's den.

Best post of all. Rukidnme you are still the man.

Rukidnme, very insightful post. I agree with many things you say and disagree with a few. The feeder programs are not what they should be and I don't think anybody will argue that point. My concern is that the majority of the current players have been in Taylor's system for 3 years now and honestly have progressed very little. A coach should be able to develop at least 2 players who can score in double digits consistantly (in one of the weakest AAA dstricts) after 3 years in a program. As far as being abused, I don't see people trying to burn his house down or verbally tormenting him or his kids. I don't know anybody who thinks he is a bad guy. This is a forum to express opinions not to abuse anyone. Opinions can seem harsh or hurtful, but they are just opinions. The best coaches in the world are openly criticized on TV, radio, and newspapers for the whole world to see. This is a website that most people dont even know exists. I know some of these defenders of Coach Taylor on this website laugh in private about the state of our basketball team. Who is worse? The ones who point out the weaknesses or the ones who defend it for show?

the sad thing is it didn't have to be that way. i also agree that a hard nosed coach who doesn't care is needed at cc. i don't think that would work either. so maybe we stay with status quo.

Edited by topper06

Look there some facts here that EVERYONE including me must face.

1) This group of young men have not been successful in the win-loss column at the elementary level, middle school level and now the high school level.

2) Coach Taylor's record is NOT real successful 93-163 i believe

3) Poor postseason performances

4) This year the team has managed 1 win

I really like Coach Taylor as you can see from my previous post.

I do wish at this point Andy would step down though.

Let someone else try to revive this program.

Personally, I don t see this happening soon.

There is nothing personal here.

The boys are, for the most part, good kids and have a good attitude but they are not very basketball athletic. IF they were; they would have won more at some point in their career.

As far as the jersey being retired it just seems silly to me. Micah is a great person and a great player as well but he is still very young and has an entire life yet to live. Personally lets wait a little while and see how his life develops.

The 1993 girls team was very good also so I could see honoring them as well.

Didn't see Lynn or the others play so I can't speak on that.

I just think the whole idea is a little silly.

This is not a knock on Micah if you are going to honor someone Micah has the stats and morals. I just question the whole process.

Also rudkid made some excellent points in his post.

And lastly is CC political? Name me a place that isn't. You will not honestly be able to do it. It is political from the athletic program to the central office to the administeration and back around again.

There are people at all levels that got their start because of who they are or who they are married to. Some are very good at their job and others stink.

Athletics; bottom line DOES come down to wins and losses. I had two poor seasons and got canned at two schools. It comes with the terrritory. That was and is the deal in coaching; you lose, you get canned. And I think that Andy realizes that too. It is the nature of the business. Thats one of the reasons that I personally dislike volunteer head coaches. They didn't go to school to do this. They don't feel the same pressure that a teacher/coach feels. The schools are really opening themselves up to a dandy lawsuit one day.

And like Forest Gump said " And thats all I got to say about that"

Rukidnme, very insightful post. I agree with many things you say and disagree with a few. The feeder programs are not what they should be and I don't think anybody will argue that point. My concern is that the majority of the current players have been in Taylor's system for 3 years now and honestly have progressed very little. A coach should be able to develop at least 2 players who can score in double digits consistantly (in one of the weakest AAA dstricts) after 3 years in a program. As far as being abused, I don't see people trying to burn his house down or verbally tormenting him or his kids. I don't know anybody who thinks he is a bad guy. This is a forum to express opinions not to abuse anyone. Opinions can seem harsh or hurtful, but they are just opinions. The best coaches in the world are openly criticized on TV, radio, and newspapers for the whole world to see. This is a website that most people dont even know exists. I know some of these defenders of Coach Taylor on this website laugh in private about the state of our basketball team. Who is worse? The ones who point out the weaknesses or the ones who defend it for show?

Very true statement. "I know some of these defenders of Coach Taylor on this website laugh in private about the state of our basketball team. Who is worse?

Very true statement. "I know some of these defenders of Coach Taylor on this website laugh in private about the state of our basketball team. Who is worse?

I think it is pretty obvious which is worse. If you have a problem, then be a big enough person to share your concerns. It is pretty simple. Yes, this is an open forum that opens up pandora's box to an array of opinions. The problem is everything is anonymous and allows people to hide behind their monitors. If you feel as strongly as some people appear they do about the situation, then take your concerns to the right people. If enough people feel like there needs to be a change, then the people in charge will be forced to listen. I think it is great that people care. As soon as you become complacent and satisfied, then guess what that is the best you will get.

I think it is pretty obvious which is worse. If you have a problem, then be a big enough person to share your concerns. It is pretty simple. Yes, this is an open forum that opens up pandora's box to an array of opinions. The problem is everything is anonymous and allows people to hide behind their monitors. If you feel as strongly as some people appear they do about the situation, then take your concerns to the right people. If enough people feel like there needs to be a change, then the people in charge will be forced to listen. I think it is great that people care. As soon as you become complacent and satisfied, then guess what that is the best you will get.

You are very insightful Rukidnme and I appreciate your insight. I don't really see it as my place to complain as I have no children,neices,nephews,cousins or anyone involved in athletics. But, I have been watching C.C. play for 35 years and it has never been this bad for so long. Part of the problem is that we are on our 4th principle,our 3rd or 4th A.D., and our 3rd superintendent since the Taylor era began. I am not sure any of them ever got a real handle on how bad it has become. Only people who have been watching over the entire time really see how bad it has gotten. C.C. never had great teams, but we competed. People used to come to the games because we had a chance to win. By the looks of the stands, nobody believes anymore and it is a shame. People go to the football games now because we changed the status quo and breathed some new life into the program. Why cant this work for basketball?

lets change the subject why don't we actually talk about the game tonight

coffee co has a good chance to get a win vs franklin co tonight

i know franklin co is also having some coaching and player personal problems too

plus tullahoma really needs a coffee win

GO COFFEE CO!!!!!!

Part of the problem is that we are on our 4th principle,our 3rd or 4th A.D., and our 3rd superintendent since the Taylor era began. I am not sure any of them ever got a real handle on how bad it has become. Only people who have been watching over the entire time really see how bad it has gotten.

You just pointed to one of the problems. There has been no consistency in the leadership of the school or the system. Until you can get a solid foundation with everyone on the same page striving toward the same goal, there will always be problems. In my opinion, the separation of school systems hurts more than anything. There are too many personal agendas. But with the next regime just getting in there, now is the time to share your thoughts on the program and not just the boy's basketball, but any program, anything.

You just pointed to one of the problems. There has been no consistency in the leadership of the school or the system. Until you can get a solid foundation with everyone on the same page striving toward the same goal, there will always be problems. In my opinion, the separation of school systems hurts more than anything. There are too many personal agendas. But with the next regime just getting in there, now is the time to share your thoughts on the program and not just the boy's basketball, but any program, anything.

With the incoming principal being a past A.D. at C.C., I believe there will be a honest evaluation of all athletics. I also believe the present A.D. will be more inclined to at least attempt to make improvements in the Basketball program. Both of these individuals have been involved in high school athletics for many years in this area and we should all look forward to the progress they make. Something has to be done to garner some interest back into the gym on Friday nights.

lets change the subject why don't we actually talk about the game tonight

coffee co has a good chance to get a win vs franklin co tonight

i know franklin co is also having some coaching and player personal problems too

plus tullahoma really needs a coffee win

GO COFFEE CO!!!!!!

Coffee Co has a great chance of beating Franklin Co...a lot of turmoil in the Rebels camp