MBA's Next Football Coach

TheColdHardTruth

QUOTE(wingman10 @ Jan 14 2007 - 11:05 AM) 826331489[/snapback]

Didn't Coach Black leave too

Yes, unfortunately, MBA has lost another fine educator and football coach. (Just add his name to the long, and growing, list of highly qualifies individuals who USED to teach and coach at MBA.) But, more importantly, the school has lost its admissions director at a critical time of the academic year!

Well, at least there is now room for Daniel McGugin to hire his brother and/ or Jonas Rodriquez as an assistant coach. (Although, from what I am hearing, there will be plenty of coaching vacancies in the MBA football program once McGugin is officially named head coach or, as Big Red Big Blue explains, once his father’s money and influence gets Daniel the head coaching job.)

I expect to be fully vindicated this coming week, or early next week at the latest.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(TheColdHardTruth @ Jan 14 2007 - 12:34 PM) 826331594[/snapback]

I expect to be fully vindicated this coming week, or early next week at the latest.

You do realize that D. McGugin's name has been floated in the print media, and even on this site earlier than that, long before you joined this site two days ago? You're not exactly giving a unique news flash.

QUOTE(cbg @ Jan 15 2007 - 09:50 AM) 826332323[/snapback]

With the G-Man so concerned about diversification and equality @ MBA, I wanted to know if he has made it back from Europe so that he can participate in the Martin Luther King parade in Nashville?

I think he is diversifying with European students. How is MBA's soccer program?

QUOTE(cbg @ Jan 15 2007 - 09:50 AM) 826332323[/snapback]

With the G-Man so concerned about diversification and equality @ MBA, I wanted to know if he has made it back from Europe so that he can participate in the Martin Luther King parade in Nashville?

Diversification doesn't seem to have hurt MBA's academic standing. Moreover, in the late '70's, there was much talk from the IRS about stripping the tax exempt status of segregated institutions, whether the segregation was de facto or de jure. Such a move would have crippled the endowment fund, since at that time, if you saw a black male on the MBA campus, he was carrying a rake or picking up trash. MBA was never racist (though perhaps a bit insensitive at times), but it was most assuredly lily white.

here's the angle the makes the most sense for the anti-Gioia crowd. If Daniel is hired as MBA's head coach, it certainly won't be because at such a young age/stature he's a figure BG can push around (unlike RB or JR) and force to toe the line and be his "yes man." It's exactly the opposite. He will be above the law as MBA HC, given his family's influence over there. If he wants a true "yes man" then he should go after some random candidate from the sticks with no ties at all to MBA who will just be happy to have the job.

What is possible (and worse) is that BG is hiring him because either he is worried about his popularity with the big donor crowd and seeking to shore it up, or because he is simply taking marching orders from the most influential decision makers. If what everyone says about BG's insecurity is true (and I have never said it isn't) the former storyline would make a lot of sense. I.e., what better way for a an unpopular HM to earn the favor of the MBA power crowd than to hire one of its own as HC? What better way to solidify power? This scenario is more consistent with the negative charicature of BG that has been proposed on here.

If Daniel is hired as HC, I will be rooting hard for him to succeed. He's a great young man with a great work ethic who loves his school very much. I also hope that he isn't "handed" the job and actually earns it over the course of a rigorous interview process. If, however, he is named HC after a nominal interview process then it will not reflect well upon the state of affairs at MBA. This would be a HUGELY risky hire--a slam dunk by no means. As has been stated on here he is not yet 30 years old with limited experience coaching. We have the wherewithal to hire much more established/qualified candidates.

To TheColdHardTruth:

I usually just lurk on this board every once in a while to get a pulse and see what people are talking about, but I can't bite my tongue any longer with your posts.

1.) Stop this "I will be vindicated when DM is named head coach" business. No one is disagreeing with you that he is a leading candidate. If anything, you're late to the party on acknowledging his candidacy.

2.) Whatever your beef is with BG, that's understandable. He's not going to please everybody, and you are certainly not alone in your distaste. In fact, BG hating has been in vogue for a while now.

3.) MBA didn't RUN OFF another good coach with Robert Black. The guy got a HEAD COACHING JOB at his college alma mater. He's not exactly taking the first bus out of town.

4.) Rutledge interviewed at BA and got on the radio and talked about how BA was the best place in the state for high school athletics while still under MBA employment. If you're the MBA head coach and AD, I don't think it's too much to ask for you to want to be there and consider it the best job in the state. COllege coaching and high school coaching are two totally different animals and no matter what a coach's credentials are, sometimes high school is just not the right fit. All of those factors make Rutledge's push out the door completely acceptable. Thanks for your efforts JR, but you dug your own grave.

5.) Take away DM's family ties and he is still a young coach who's dream job is to coach at his alma mater. I'd say that's a good quality in a head coach. I don't expect him to sniffing at other coaching positions if he got the job. He coached at MBA out of college, he coached at Miami and left some good college opportunities for a head coaching job at FRA, and left a head job at FRA for an assistant job at MBA. He has made sacrifices to be MBA's head coach. I would be thrilled to see him hired, and I think that a lot of other people in the MBA community would be as well. Don't throw him under the bus just because BG likes him.

6.) Brad Gioia wants to see MBA football succeed. He knows that the board and the community won't accept anything less. He will not hire an unqualified coach just to have a "yes man". Get off your soap box. Congratulations on being a former faculty member but you're not the only one who knows the inner workings of the school.