MBA's Next Football Coach

TheColdHardTruth

QUOTE(4th&inches @ Jan 16 2007 - 01:41 PM) 826333814[/snapback]

To TheColdHardTruth:

I usually just lurk on this board every once in a while to get a pulse and see what people are talking about, but I can't bite my tongue any longer with your posts.

1.) Stop this "I will be vindicated when DM is named head coach" business. No one is disagreeing with you that he is a leading candidate. If anything, you're late to the party on acknowledging his candidacy.

2.) Whatever your beef is with BG, that's understandable. He's not going to please everybody, and you are certainly not alone in your distaste. In fact, BG hating has been in vogue for a while now.

3.) MBA didn't RUN OFF another good coach with Robert Black. The guy got a HEAD COACHING JOB at his college alma mater. He's not exactly taking the first bus out of town.

4.) Rutledge interviewed at BA and got on the radio and talked about how BA was the best place in the state for high school athletics while still under MBA employment. If you're the MBA head coach and AD, I don't think it's too much to ask for you to want to be there and consider it the best job in the state. COllege coaching and high school coaching are two totally different animals and no matter what a coach's credentials are, sometimes high school is just not the right fit. All of those factors make Rutledge's push out the door completely acceptable. Thanks for your efforts JR, but you dug your own grave.

5.) Take away DM's family ties and he is still a young coach who's dream job is to coach at his alma mater. I'd say that's a good quality in a head coach. I don't expect him to sniffing at other coaching positions if he got the job. He coached at MBA out of college, he coached at Miami and left some good college opportunities for a head coaching job at FRA, and left a head job at FRA for an assistant job at MBA. He has made sacrifices to be MBA's head coach. I would be thrilled to see him hired, and I think that a lot of other people in the MBA community would be as well. Don't throw him under the bus just because BG likes him.

6.) Brad Gioia wants to see MBA football succeed. He knows that the board and the community won't accept anything less. He will not hire an unqualified coach just to have a "yes man". Get off your soap box. Congratulations on being a former faculty member but you're not the only one who knows the inner workings of the school.

Your points are all well taken, but especially the 4th, an issue of which I was unaware. I doubt that there's any objective way to determine which is the best place in the state for high school athletics. But MBA would justifiably be on the very short list. To make a statement like that on radio seems disloyal to an employer who compenstated him fairly well. No one wants a "yes man", but I think the school is within its rights to demand a certain level of loyalty.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Middle Tennessee Football @ Jan 18 2007 - 12:47 PM) 826336506[/snapback]

I agree, but Windham was really good too. I hoped BA would pick him up. MBA would be smart to try and get him as well. He is a great person and an intense coach.

Windham is a good person. He would be great at one of the big private schools....great with the players. His father was a legend.

Someone from MBA may have to help me. As far as I know him, he is one part of that MBA heart and soul as well as a heavy benefactor to the school. Other than that, he is one crazy guy that loves and knows football.

Joe is an MBA alumni and played football in the early 80's at Eastern Kentucky Univ.

Here is what he does for the nashville community other than support MBA.

http://www.backfieldinmotion.org/

Why would you throw one coach out the door if you

didn't have a plan to replace him?

QUOTE(Redtwin @ Jan 22 2007 - 10:32 AM) 826340967[/snapback]

I don't think there's been much to report on. MBA doesn't appear to be in any hurry to find a replacement, and I don't think there is any need for them to rush into anything.