MBA's Next Football Coach

TheColdHardTruth

QUOTE(TheBigRedDog @ Jan 25 2007 - 03:31 PM) 826345746[/snapback]

Heard a little tidbit today regarding the MBA coaching search. The head coach at a prominent, successful, large sized public school in a neighboring state has spoken to MBA regarding the opening. It seems that MBA is indeed conducting a regional, if not national, search for its next head coach.

Would this be the Hoover coach?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The BA thing was really wild and the MBA thing just made it a little more crazy. Two of the best football schools in middle tennessee going through a transition at the same time......did not see it coming....

with the football program being a major consideration for very few of the families.

It could well be that these few could be the difference in winning and losing. How many of these prospective student/athletes have applied to different D-II schools in the nashville area shopping for the right one? In this case, will it be a factor?

I have heard that MBA has established a search committee to find Jeff Rutledge's replacement. The idea of a committee having any real decision-making power in the process is itself hilarious. As anyone who has ever worked with Brad Gioia can testify, committees are established at MBA in case the decision HE makes goes bad so that the committee can take the fall. Of course, if the decision goes well, then Brad Gioia will take full credit. The futility of committees is common knowledge among the MBA faculty and, in fact, is a running joke on campus whenever any kind of committee is formed.

But what is even more hilarious are the faculty members Brad Gioia assigned to football coach search committee. The committee consists of a junior school Latin teacher and track coach with a long tenure at MBA, a high school science teacher and track coach who has been at the school two years, the junior school principal who coached football in Williamson County years ago, the upper school principal who has not coached anything in decades, and a high school math teacher who is the ONLY ONE who actually coaches football at the school. Of course, one must wonder what is the common trait that each of the members of the search committee possesses that qualifies then to determine MBA's next football coach? Obviously, it is not their football expertise or their extensive coaching experience; rather, the trait that links them is that none of the committee members will challenge Brad Gioia’s final decision nor will any of them publicly refute it. Each and every one of them is a “yes man”! (I should note that the sole exception among the committee members MAY be the high school math teacher and football coach. But only time will tell whether he is a "yes man" or not.)

According to Brad Gioia, no decision will be made until the middle of February. That being said, I still think the decision has been made (and was in fact made last spring) and Daniel McGugin will be named the head football coach once this charade is played out.

By the way, Proctor was on campus yesterday afternoon. I heard he did well, but McGugin is a still a lock for the job. Give Brad Gioia credit, at least he is making it appear as though MBA is searching for a coach beyond the boundaries of its campus.

QUOTE(TheColdHardTruth @ Jan 25 2007 - 10:15 PM) 826346097[/snapback]

I have heard that MBA has established a search committee to find Jeff Rutledge's replacement. The idea of a committee having any real decision-making power in the process is itself hilarious. As anyone who has ever worked with Brad Gioia can testify, committees are established at MBA in case the decision HE makes goes bad so that the committee can take the fall. Of course, if the decision goes well, then Brad Gioia will take full credit. The futility of committees is common knowledge among the MBA faculty and, in fact, is a running joke on campus whenever any kind of committee is formed.

But what is even more hilarious are the faculty members Brad Gioia assigned to football coach search committee. The committee consists of a junior school Latin teacher and track coach with a long tenure at MBA, a high school science teacher and track coach who has been at the school two years, the junior school principal who coached football in Williamson County years ago, the upper school principal who has not coached anything in decades, and a high school math teacher who is the ONLY ONE who actually coaches football at the school. Of course, one must wonder what is the common trait that each of the members of the search committee possesses that qualifies then to determine MBA's next football coach? Obviously, it is not their football expertise or their extensive coaching experience; rather, the trait that links them is that none of the committee members will challenge Brad Gioia’s final decision nor will any of them publicly refute it. Each and every one of them is a “yes man”! (I should note that the sole exception among the committee members MAY be the high school math teacher and football coach. But only time will tell whether he is a "yes man" or not.)

According to Brad Gioia, no decision will be made until the middle of February. That being said, I still think the decision has been made (and was in fact made last spring) and Daniel McGugin will be named the head football coach once this charade is played out.

By the way, Proctor was on campus yesterday afternoon. I heard he did well, but McGugin is a still a lock for the job. Give Brad Gioia credit, at least he is making it appear as though MBA is searching for a coach beyond the boundaries of its campus.

Another reasonable and unbiased post by TheColdHardTruth. Let's break down this search committee of yours.

The high school principal: Jamie Tillman. One of the most respected and liked men on campus. Served as the athletic director before Jeff Rutledge, a role he was much more active in than JR. He served the role of athletic director for 6 or 7 (maybe 8) years before becoming the principal of the high school. Sounds pretty qualified to me.

The Junior School Principal: Peter Thurmond. Another highly respected leader at MBA. He coached BGA in the years that BGA was pretty formidable, winning at least one state championship if I'm not mistaken. Sounds pretty qualified to me.

High school math teacher and member of the coaching staff: Floyd Elliot. Served as head coach before Bowers came has been a highly successful defensive coordinator at MBA for years. Sounds pretty qualified to me.

So the committe as a whole has: Two of the best leaders on campus, one of whom possesses significant coaching experience while the other possesses significant experience as the lead athletic administrator at MBA. One experienced member of the football coaching staff. One teacher with little to no football experience but with a very good understanding of the school and its mission who can provide some much-needed perspective. And a teacher and coach with little to no football experience but who is new to the school and able to provide a fresh viewpoint that would be difficult for some of the more tenured faculty members to see. I think that this sounds like a very balanced committee with different viewpoints all qualified to help MBA find a coach who is right for MBA on more levels than just wins and losses.

Hate to break it to you TheColdHardTruth, but you just made a heck of a statement about Gioia's ability to put together a dynamic and qualified group to find a head coach. If he does as well at finding a coach as he did at finding the search committee, i'll be thrilled.

QUOTE(4th&inches @ Jan 26 2007 - 05:03 AM) 826346498[/snapback]

Another reasonable and unbiased post by TheColdHardTruth. Let's break down this search committee of yours.

The high school principal: Jamie Tillman. One of the most respected and liked men on campus. Served as the athletic director before Jeff Rutledge, a role he was much more active in than JR. He served the role of athletic director for 6 or 7 (maybe 8) years before becoming the principal of the high school. Sounds pretty qualified to me.

The Junior School Principal: Peter Thurmond. Another highly respected leader at MBA. He coached BGA in the years that BGA was pretty formidable, winning at least one state championship if I'm not mistaken. Sounds pretty qualified to me.

High school math teacher and member of the coaching staff: Floyd Elliot. Served as head coach before Bowers came has been a highly successful defensive coordinator at MBA for years. Sounds pretty qualified to me.

So the committe as a whole has: Two of the best leaders on campus, one of whom possesses significant coaching experience while the other possesses significant experience as the lead athletic administrator at MBA. One experienced member of the football coaching staff. One teacher with little to no football experience but with a very good understanding of the school and its mission who can provide some much-needed perspective. And a teacher and coach with little to no football experience but who is new to the school and able to provide a fresh viewpoint that would be difficult for some of the more tenured faculty members to see. I think that this sounds like a very balanced committee with different viewpoints all qualified to help MBA find a coach who is right for MBA on more levels than just wins and losses.

Hate to break it to you TheColdHardTruth, but you just made a heck of a statement about Gioia's ability to put together a dynamic and qualified group to find a head coach. If he does as well at finding a coach as he did at finding the search committee, i'll be thrilled.

Excellent points. I'm delighted to hear that Mr. Elliot is part of the search committee. He was my Algebra II teacher in his first year at MBA ('77-'78). A fine man, teacher and coach who's worked for three outstanding head coaches at MBA

QUOTE(4th&inches @ Jan 26 2007 - 04:03 AM) 826346498[/snapback]

Just because most of the committe is made up of well respected people does not mean that they are not "YES MEN" when the G-Man is sitting on the other side of the desk. Not to burst your bubble but the people on the committe could not leave MBA for another job in education and make the type of money that MBA is paying them. These people have been stunk in and have to do everything in their power to keep their job or they will loose their buying power.

QUOTE(cbg @ Jan 26 2007 - 09:26 AM) 826346645[/snapback]

Just because most of the committe is made up of well respected people does not mean that they are not "YES MEN" when the G-Man is sitting on the other side of the desk. Not to burst your bubble but the people on the committe could not leave MBA for another job in education and make the type of money that MBA is paying them. These people have been stunk in and have to do everything in their power to keep their job or they will loose their buying power.

well maybe we should ask "coldhardtruth." After all, he's a former MBA faculty member who refused to be controlled by BG. Coldhardtruth, since you left MBA, are you now destitute, living from paycheck to paycheck, just trying to make ends meet? Seeking odd jobs where you can find them? We all can conclude from your posts that you refused to be a "yes man" to BG, and that's why you courageously left MBA....so, if cbg is right, and that crossing BG and leaving MBA means you have no other opportunities in life, your life must be in shambles now.

QUOTE(bigchief @ Jan 25 2007 - 05:26 PM) 826345889[/snapback]

Two-a-days ---MBA style.

Hot off the press! Indeed, Rush Probst, head coach at Hoover(AL) High School has been named the new head coach at Montgomery Bell Academy. The school also announced a tentative agreement with MTV Networks to be a part of "Two-A-Days" Season 3. Coach Probst said that he plans for MBA to, "beat the peeiiisss" out of the other teams in Division II.

Seriously, though, I don't quite see Probst as a fit for MBA.