What does everyone think of the New playoffs for 2A next year?

glover

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what else could be done short of putting 10 teams in a region. It's going to be good for my team, Harpeth, which left the ABC region to a region with more natural rivalries and a better chance to compete with a young team. The down side is that with only 3 guaranteed region spots and the rest being determined by record only, Harpeth dropped a big in county rivalry game with Cheatham who is playing in 3A. I hope this is just temporary, but I'm excited about the next format.

QUOTE(reaction @ Jan 15 2007 - 12:49 PM) 826332571[/snapback]

I heard a little bit about it but am not real clear on it. Can anyone explain please.

Here is the new format it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Approved the following football playoff format in Class 2A for 2007 and 2008

The 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place teams from the nine regions and the five Wild Cards

will be determined using the following tiebreaker:

1. Head to Head (if applicable)

2. The team with the greatest number of victories.

3. The team who has the greatest number of victories over teams winning 50 percent

or more of their games.

4. The team whose opponents have earned the most victories.

5. The team whose opponents have received fewer defeats.

6. Total wins by the teams defeated.

7. The team with the greatest number of victories over Class 2A teams.

8. The team who has the greatest number of victories over Class 2A teams winning

50 percent or more of their games.

9. The team whose Class 2A opponents have earned the most victories.

10. The team whose Class 2A opponents have received fewer defeats.

11. Total wins by the opponents of Class 2A teams defeated.

12. The team with the greatest number of victories over teams in higher classification than Class 2A.

13. The team who has the greatest number of victories over teams in a higher classification than Class 2A winning 50 percent or more of their games.

14. The team whose opponents in classes higher than Class 2A have earned the most victories.

15. The team whose opponents in classes higher than Class 2A have received fewer defeats.

16. Total wins by the opponents of teams in classes higher than Class 2A teams defeated.

17. Coin Toss

Then, all 32 teams will be placed on the map and eight teams will be then placed

in each of the four quadrants geographically.

The eight teams in the quadrant would then be seeded, using the tiebreaker criteria.

The #1 teams would be seeded first, the #2 teams second, the #3 teams third, and the Wild Cards fourth.

Poorly designed in my opinion. Tiebreaker 2. (The team with the greatest number of victories.) sets up for the teams with the easier schedules to make the playoffs as a #4 seed. It probably does matter in the big picture because these teams likely would not advance very far but it could mean that a deserving team is left out.

IMO The number of playoff teams should be lowered in the first place. In regions where there are 5 or 6 teams, 80% of the teams can make the playoffs. That deminishes the value of making the playoffs. If you have a team that has a losing record, they should not be aloud to make any postseason. Why should that team be recognized for a bad season. A TOTALLY NEW FORMAT needs to be presented. There should be no more than 8 teams in a region and no less than 6. Yes it means alittle travel for some area teams but it equals out later on. No more than 2 or maybe 3 teams per region should make the playoffs. If byes are needed then so be it. Base the byes on the year before. But after all is said and done, none of what I or you say matters. Nothing that I or you think matters. We know NOTHING compared to the GREAT MINDS of the TSSAA.(hint of sacasim)!!!