Indian nicknames could be history in TN

ORidgeKat

QUOTE(ORidgeKat @ Feb 7 2007 - 10:43 AM) 826361982[/snapback]

You make some good points. I look at the tomahawk issue like this: it is a reference to a tool of war, or a weapon weilded by Indian warriors. It was used in some instances to scalp rival tribes' warriors, or any other person that was a threat to the survival of one's own tribe. Unfortunately, it was for some a vicious and savage existence, that was the way of the warrior. I do not think that these schools and mascots are making fun of Indian heritage or intentionally representing Native Americans in a derrogatory way. I simply see it as an acknowledgement of the Indian warrior spirit, fierceness, and fearfullness. but hey, to each his own, right? We can just agree to disagree on that. fair enough

I can respect that. To each his own.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(ORidgeKat @ Feb 7 2007 - 12:09 PM) 826362016[/snapback]

Hey SID, does that mean sports info director? I admire the way you're going about this business, with class and respect for all.

Yes it does, although I am not in that capacity anymore. I had to relinquish those duties because of health issues. All that is straightened out and I am slowly working my way back into that role. Thanks for your admiration, although I do not do it for the praise, I just want to give our children at Sequoyah and every where else a positive influence to look at. Anytime anyone finds something wrong at Sequoyah, I want to try to fix it, above all things we want people to respect our school and programs. I believe in order to have that respect you must earn it and be the first to give it.

• 1 month later...