Indian nicknames could be history in TN

ORidgeKat

QUOTE(TDCman @ Jan 23 2007 - 09:49 PM) 826343095[/snapback]

To do the right thing, you should rename the town, county, school, etc... I think there's also a tree somewhere that needs to be renamed.

Sequoyah actually has written permission to use the name Sequoyah from the Chief of the tribe, wonder how that would hold up in court. Loudon High School is called the Redskins.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Coach Holloway @ Jan 31 2007 - 11:11 AM) 826352981[/snapback]

Sequoyah actually has written permission to use the name Sequoyah from the Chief of the tribe, wonder how that would hold up in court. Loudon High School is called the Redskins.

Good question coach. I am actually checking on that now. What I have been able to gather is it would be the same as Florida State and their agreement with the Seminole nation. The written documentation should be able to stand as a legal document that would override any decision such as this. Although it would be up to the state legislation to honor that. Another good question would be the school and town of Oneida. The name is derived from the Oneida tribe, so if they don't have legal documentation, would they fall subject to this too? This could open up a great deal more. I think we have only scratched the surface so far.

QUOTE(Sequoyah SID @ Jan 31 2007 - 10:20 AM) 826352994[/snapback]

Good question coach. I am actually checking on that now. What I have been able to gather is it would be the same as Florida State and their agreement with the Seminole nation. The written documentation should be able to stand as a legal document that would override any decision such as this. Although it would be up to the state legislation to honor that. Another good question would be the school and town of Oneida. The name is derived from the Oneida tribe, so if they don't have legal documentation, would they fall subject to this too? This could open up a great deal more. I think we have only scratched the surface so far.

SID,

I would say call SQHS the Politicians but I know several people waould be offended then. LOL>?

QUOTE(barb @ Jan 31 2007 - 08:40 AM) 826352799[/snapback]

We are protected in this country against discrimination because of race, creed, or color...constitutionally.

I think, barb, that you refer to The Civil Rights Act of 1964 - which many assume is one of the amendments to the Constitution. It is not. It is an act of Congress. That is not the same as constitutional protection.

Somebody, correct me if I am wrong but I don't see any verbage in the Constitution that speaks to discrimination based on race, creed, color, etc. The media would have us believe that however. I don't see that either the constitution or the Civil Rights Act protects anyone from being offended either. Specifically where does this concept come from?

QUOTE(DBGRAD70 @ Jan 31 2007 - 10:08 PM) 826353749[/snapback]

I think, barb, that you refer to The Civil Rights Act of 1964 - which many assume is one of the amendments to the Constitution. It is not. It is an act of Congress. That is not the same as constitutional protection.

Somebody, correct me if I am wrong but I don't see any verbage in the Constitution that speaks to discrimination based on race, creed, color, etc. The media would have us believe that however. I don't see that either the constitution or the Civil Rights Act protects anyone from being offended either. Specifically where does this concept come from?

I had resolved not to comment anymore on this topic because of my propensity for long-windedness, but when I read your comment I almost cried! Seriously, you make a great point. That is exactly what the media seems to want us to believe and, unfortunately, what most of the sheeple think. It walks hand in hand with the similarly false notion that all discrimination is bad and unlawful. Some is, some ain't.

The U.S. Constitution does make the Equal Protection Clause and the Due Process Clause applicable to the states under the 14th Amendment. And Congress could legitimately enact such laws and make them applicable to the states under that amendment. But you're absolutely correct that the federal statute is not constitutional.

And you're also correct that no law protects us from mere "offense." Great post!

QUOTE(DiverCity @ Jan 31 2007 - 09:31 PM) 826353781[/snapback]

I had resolved not to comment anymore on this topic because of my propensity for long-windedness, but when I read your comment I almost cried! Seriously, you make a great point. That is exactly what the media seems to want us to believe and, unfortunately, what most of the sheeple think. It walks hand in hand with the similarly false notion that all discrimination is bad and unlawful. Some is, some ain't.

The U.S. Constitution does make the Equal Protection Clause and the Due Process Clause applicable to the states under the 14th Amendment. And Congress could legitimately enact such laws and make them applicable to the states under that amendment. But you're absolutely correct that the federal statute is not constitutional.

And you're also correct that no law protects us from mere "offense." Great post!

Thanks DiverCity. I appreciate your response.

From my humble perspective, the current media agenda in many areas other than this may be the ruination of this country. But they are protected to some fuzzy degree by the Constitution - Bill of Rights. The complaints of the few as in the example of this thread seems to be what they want to hype. In this case the threat stands to damage several schools across Tennessee. People like barb seem to have no idea the damage that could be done to a school if something that is as core to their existance is forced to be eliminated. Perhaps the Green Devil mascot means little to Greenville. I duno. But I do know that the Indian image is steeped into the Dobyns Bennett tradition. It is a very long and respected tradition. For there to be such a threat to this tradition is an "offense" to me and many others. And I believe many of us would donate considerable sums of money to thwart such a threat in a court if necessary. Sorry, now I am getting too long winded.

My question on this matter is, the ones willing to produce this argument and want to see it happen, are they ready and prepared to finacially see it through. What I mean by this is, if such legislation is ever passed, all schools will have to change everything. The name is only the beginning. Most uniforms will have to be replaced, all stationary will be changed, any signs on buildings, and the list continues. Financially it will be overwhelming to a school system for this to happen. Who does it fall back on? The tax payers. I live in a small rural county and we are having difficulties with varied expenses, building updates being one of many, that this would be devastating to have to take on this added financial strain. We at Sequoyah High School will honor whatever happens. I just hope this is a consensus of all Native Americans and not just a small faction who have nothing better to do with their time than to sit around and think up ways to make it difficult for everyone else. I was raised to be ready to be responsible for my actions. Are they ready and passionate enough about their cause to do whatever it takes to assist in making the changes if it passes? Or will they be content to just know they have succeeded and could care less what happens?

QUOTE(Sequoyah SID @ Feb 1 2007 - 08:45 AM) 826354323[/snapback]

My question on this matter is, the ones willing to produce this argument and want to see it happen, are they ready and prepared to finacially see it through. What I mean by this is, if such legislation is ever passed, all schools will have to change everything. The name is only the beginning. Most uniforms will have to be replaced, all stationary will be changed, any signs on buildings, and the list continues. Financially it will be overwhelming to a school system for this to happen. Who does it fall back on? The tax payers. I live in a small rural county and we are having difficulties with varied expenses, building updates being one of many, that this would be devastating to have to take on this added financial strain. We at Sequoyah High School will honor whatever happens. I just hope this is a consensus of all Native Americans and not just a small faction who have nothing better to do with their time than to sit around and think up ways to make it difficult for everyone else. I was raised to be ready to be responsible for my actions. Are they ready and passionate enough about their cause to do whatever it takes to assist in making the changes if it passes? Or will they be content to just know they have succeeded and could care less what happens?

this has been my point if u were to take a poll of ALL "native americans" as I myself am 1 I believe the majority wld say play on...leave everything alone but that is not how the system works nowadays. sure wished it was...

QUOTE(Sequoyah SID @ Feb 1 2007 - 09:45 AM) 826354323[/snapback]

The problem is that the ones that want to push this agenda have no stake in the schools in Tennessee. They could care less about what it does to students, school systems, local cities/counties, much less tax payers. All of these are very important factors and better be considered by our government "leaders" if they want to keep their jobs. Then of course there is the school pride and tradition that goes along with this and the damage done there if this agenda were to succeed.

Secondly this is NOT a consensus among native american peoples on this issue. This fact has been expressed repeatedly on this board and in newspapers, television and radio. Those who speak up say they are not offended by anything other than possibly terms such as "redskins" - and we can understand that. It is the agenda of a few who have an axe to grind.

If these people want to "go to war" over this then I think the cities in this state that have a stake in this (have indian mascots) need to ban together and go toe to toe with them in court - I hope in front of a jury. They may win in front of a judge (many of whom are legislators in robes), but I don't think they have a chance if this kind of thing can go before a jury.

You're right. We just don't need any of this. Hopefully public opinion will flush it before it gets off the ground - which is one good reason for a forum like this.