Indian nicknames could be history in TN

ORidgeKat

In today's Knoxville Knews Sentinel there is an article on schools with Indian nicknames. According to the article, American Indian activists in Tennessee say that teams with Indian mascots are offensive and plan to ask state officials this week to outlaw their use. The activists will go before the state's Human Rights Commission on Friday to ask members to ban Indian mascots and symbols in state public schools. The activist's resolution to be brought before the commission was adopted in 2005 by the Tennessee Commission of Indian Affairs. They claim that "Native American imagery used and controlled by non-native Americans and often use in satirical and non-flattering ways." This will affect about 2 dozen schools including Riverdale and Kingsport DB. What do y'all think about this. I know Riverdale community for one won't go down with a fight.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(ORidgeKat @ Jan 23 2007 - 11:24 AM) 826342271[/snapback]

In today's Knoxville Knews Sentinel there is an article on schools with Indian nicknames. According to the article, American Indian activists in Tennessee say that teams with Indian mascots are offensive and plan to ask state officials this week to outlaw their use. The activists will go before the state's Human Rights Commission on Friday to ask members to ban Indian mascots and symbols in state public schools. The activist's resolution to be brought before the commission was adopted in 2005 by the Tennessee Commission of Indian Affairs. They claim that "Native American imagery used and controlled by non-native Americans and often use in satirical and non-flattering ways." This will affect about 2 dozen schools including Riverdale and Kingsport DB. What do y'all think about this. I know Riverdale community for one won't go down with a fight.

Greaaaat..... So I guess this issue has now made its way in to Tennessee High School athletics. I hate to hear this so many school are going to have to change because of this. I think it will effect more than just 2 dozen.

Well, I know that native americans did not wear blue jeans or modern clothing until the "white man" introduced our society on them. I think it would be appropriate that since we can not "mock" anothers heritage that it would just be the right thing to do for them to start wearing buckskins again and living in teepees. In short, get over it, we are not making fun of you, we are honoring you by picking these names.

This is insanity if it goes through! Political correctness run amuck.

I wonder where this group that is making this "complaint" will be if these schools do have to change mascots and have to foot the bill to change all of their uniforms, signs, etc? They will be nowhere to be found I am sure!

QUOTE(ORidgeKat @ Jan 23 2007 - 11:24 AM) 826342271[/snapback]

The statement was also made the comment about Redskins being offensive. Well, they listed all the schools that would be affected....no Redskins! What about Rebels...to me that represents deeper connotations. just my opinion

the article in the local murfreesboro paper (daily news journal)had a reply from riverdales principal explaining that everthing they do at the school they do out of respect for the indians. they make sure everything from paintings inside the school to the teepee they use is authentic. this is crazy!!and just frustrating people looking for reasons to create an issue where there is not one. wonder if it is some1 whohas a son playing football & their team lost 2 riverdale & they got offended at that time.