Indian nicknames could be history in TN

ORidgeKat

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(bigchief @ Jan 23 2007 - 11:34 AM) 826342359[/snapback]

Next will be the SPCA saying that to name a team after an animal is insulting to its pride and heritage. Then we will end up playing the red team against the blue team.

totally agree...no warriors.no indians.no bulldogs.no panthers.no wildcats etc...

so just colors are left this is nonsense

It never ceases to amaze me that people can justify degrading other groups of people because they don't get it. Groups of people are not mascots, especially people that have been viewed by second class citizens by the majority. It shouldn't be just Native American based mascots, the Irish should be one included also. If your not an minority, it may be difficult for you to understand the incredible job it takes to teach your children that they are worth more as an race then what is tought in the history books. If it's an Native American school and they want to have some type of nickname based on that.....fine. If an group of people find something offensive, maybe you should try to think about some of the history that made it offensive. We would never allow an school to display the swastika as an school flag but we allow the stars and bars, well guess what to the people that were oppressed under those symbols, they mean the same thing- hatred. I'm an southerner and proud of it but rebel flag reminds me of all the lynchings, rapes and any other unjust treatment that MY heritage had to endure associated with the racist groups that use it as an symbol. With that being said, we live in America and you have the right to display just about anyting you want without regard to others feeling because we have feeling of expression. I ask you this, what would happen if I was to hang an swastika from the back of my truck and ride around town? All these people are doing is asking for help in teaching their future generations that they are Americans and not stereotypes. I know people in this area are sensitive to being viewed as hillibillies and hicks. Could that be an reason there are no mascots to trailer parks or inbreds?

I personally feel the factions that are bringing this up are just people looking for their 15 minutes of fame, or are people who are only happy if they are stirring something up. I too think the nicknames were chosen out of respect and admiration for the heritage of the Indian nations. I represent Sequoyah High School, and "V" was right, we are located just miles from the birthplace of the great chief. However, out of respect for him and the Cherokee nation, we petitioned the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians for the right to use both names, Sequoyah and Chiefs. It was approved, and I believe that if this ruling goes through, they should come up with a suitable name and provide the financial support to change what needs to be change. After all, they made the decision for the names to be used.

QUOTE(topvol98 @ Jan 24 2007 - 10:55 AM) 826343842[/snapback]

It never ceases to amaze me that people can justify degrading other groups of people because they don't get it. Groups of people are not mascots, especially people that have been viewed by second class citizens by the majority. It shouldn't be just Native American based mascots, the Irish should be one included also. If your not an minority, it may be difficult for you to understand the incredible job it takes to teach your children that they are worth more as an race then what is tought in the history books. If it's an Native American school and they want to have some type of nickname based on that.....fine. If an group of people find something offensive, maybe you should try to think about some of the history that made it offensive. We would never allow an school to display the swastika as an school flag but we allow the stars and bars, well guess what to the people that were oppressed under those symbols, they mean the same thing- hatred. I'm an southerner and proud of it but rebel flag reminds me of all the lynchings, rapes and any other unjust treatment that MY heritage had to endure associated with the racist groups that use it as an symbol. With that being said, we live in America and you have the right to display just about anyting you want without regard to others feeling because we have feeling of expression. I ask you this, what would happen if I was to hang an swastika from the back of my truck and ride around town? All these people are doing is asking for help in teaching their future generations that they are Americans and not stereotypes. I know people in this area are sensitive to being viewed as hillibillies and hicks. Could that be an reason there are no mascots to trailer parks or inbreds?

We can all find fault in every nickname, flag, or anything else for that matter. You look at something long enough, you will find a flaw. The point everyone seems to be missing is this: A school nickname or school flag is a symbol to identify the school and give the kids something to identify with. Some schools are named after important people or a significant happening in the area. The nickname and flag gives the school an identification that the kids can ban together under. There is not a deeper meaning, there isn't an attempt to embarrass or degrade a religion, race, or creed.

QUOTE(DCHS @ Jan 24 2007 - 12:52 PM) 826344044[/snapback]

So we can have the Devil (Blue Devils, Green Devils), the lord of the underworld that thrives off of death and destruction, as our mascot but Indian is unacceptable?

What is worse than the Devil? I think this whole issue is a little over-dramatic.

Now your comparing an representation on an idea to actual people who were the origional natives of this land. For an earlier post, the Seminole Nation granted Florida State permission to use their likeness as the representation of their school. I'm pretty sure that's not the case for these high schools.

QUOTE(topvol98 @ Jan 24 2007 - 01:43 PM) 826344126[/snapback]

Now your comparing an representation on an idea to actual people who were the origional natives of this land. For an earlier post, the Seminole Nation granted Florida State permission to use their likeness as the representation of their school. I'm pretty sure that's not the case for these high schools.

I know that is the case for Sequoyah, I was involved in that process. We wanted to recognize and honor the great chief, that is why we respectfully asked the Eastern Band for permission. I believe if that was the approach taken by everyone else, there might not be a problem. I am not saying everybody else is wrong, but maybe if everyone maybe contacted the Native American Bands and asked them for permission to continue using the nickname, and give a specific reason of wanting to do so, (example: to honor them not disgrace them), then I believe they might receive that priveledge. I may be wrong, I don't know.

QUOTE(ORidgeKat @ Jan 23 2007 - 02:21 PM) 826342447[/snapback]

I am 1/2 Cherokee Indian and it does not bother me. However, I could see where RedSkins could bother some, just because it used to be a slur. But I agree, naming a team Braves or Warriors is an honor to me.

I am half cherokee to but there is no need to worry bout it they tried to do the samething to the Atlanta Braves a couple years back and they didn't succeed. So there's no need to worry bout it.