Official Thread: Miss Basketball

CoachT

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(jimbo44 @ Feb 7 2007 - 09:34 PM) 826362855[/snapback]

Mandy Mendenhall is my choise in AA. I have never seen her play a highschool game, but I have seen her play in AAU. She makes things happen and the players around her look better for it.

You are picking her over Mathews from Livingston? Interesting.......suprising, as well.

I think that Ashley Matthews and Mandy Mendenhall are both very good player and both of these young ladies should be a candidate for Miss Basketball in AA. I don't think it would be fair to either one of them if they wasn't a candidate, both have work very hard, and both are very desiring of the award. If I had to pick one of them it would be Matthews, I have watched both play for a couple of years now and I just feel like Matthews is the overall better player. That not saying anything bad about Mendenhall that just a personal opinion. Good luck to both of the young ladies.

QUOTE(bballjunky @ Feb 8 2007 - 05:15 AM) 826363064[/snapback]

I think that Ashley Matthews and Mandy Mendenhall are both very good player and both of these young ladies should be a candidate for Miss Basketball in AA. I don't think it would be fair to either one of them if they wasn't a candidate, both have work very hard, and both are very desiring of the award. If I had to pick one of them it would be Matthews, I have watched both play for a couple of years now and I just feel like Matthews is the overall better player. That not saying anything bad about Mendenhall that just a personal opinion. Good luck to both of the young ladies.

I've never seen Ashley Matthews play, but just from the Tennessean stats, Mandy has her beat, even though you can't tell too much from stats because you miss so much if you've never seen them actually play. Mandy is the best all-round player I have ever seen, and a great person too. She can do it all on the basketball court. Good Luck to both of them. Where is Ashley going to play in college?

Matthews is fundamental and hard-working. She also as a great mentality. Mendenhall has gone beyond the basics of fundamentals and has ventured into areas that aren't often reached by women, especially at the high school level. There are a few individuals playing in the NBA that would be impressed and envious of her turn around, fall away jump shot. She shoots it for a high percentage and can get the shot whenever she wants. I describe this as "undefendable" because defense can't stop her, they can only hope to contain her. She is averaging around 16ppg but shooting 60% for the season and just a shade under 50% from three, an area of her game that has improved tremendously. Mendenhall has also learned to work hard and because of this really impressed recruiters this summer with her much improved defense. And finally, although humble to her own detrimate at times, she does have the mentality of a player that just knows when to turn it on and when to get her teammates involved, which is in my opinion a great quality for an outstnading athlete to have. I have seen them both play, actually coached against Matthews for three years, but have to give Mendenhall a big advantage for Miss Basketball in AA, she is as good as it gets.

QUOTE(aj1133 @ Feb 8 2007 - 12:20 PM) 826363353[/snapback]

Matthews is fundamental and hard-working. She also as a great mentality. Mendenhall has gone beyond the basics of fundamentals and has ventured into areas that aren't often reached by women, especially at the high school level. There are a few individuals playing in the NBA that would be impressed and envious of her turn around, fall away jump shot. She shoots it for a high percentage and can get the shot whenever she wants. I describe this as "undefendable" because defense can't stop her, they can only hope to contain her. She is averaging around 16ppg but shooting 60% for the season and just a shade under 50% from three, an area of her game that has improved tremendously. Mendenhall has also learned to work hard and because of this really impressed recruiters this summer with her much improved defense. And finally, although humble to her own detrimate at times, she does have the mentality of a player that just knows when to turn it on and when to get her teammates involved, which is in my opinion a great quality for an outstnading athlete to have. I have seen them both play, actually coached against Matthews for three years, but have to give Mendenhall a big advantage for Miss Basketball in AA, she is as good as it gets.

QUOTE(keyplayer @ Feb 7 2007 - 06:49 PM) 826362601[/snapback]

Angela Puleo is the best basketball player in the state of tennessee, period!!!

what kind of records has this angela puleo player broken? anne marie from riverdale has already broken the state record and her percentage along w/ assist and gpa should put her 2 the front of the pack

QUOTE(csmanz @ Feb 8 2007 - 10:13 AM) 826363347[/snapback]

I've never seen Ashley Matthews play, but just from the Tennessean stats, Mandy has her beat, even though you can't tell too much from stats because you miss so much if you've never seen them actually play. Mandy is the best all-round player I have ever seen, and a great person too. She can do it all on the basketball court. Good Luck to both of them. Where is Ashley going to play in college?

I am glad you are a fan of stats. Thats shows you are willing to objectively compare players from around the state. In my opinion, stats are the only way to compare apples to oranges to pears.

I have seen both Mandy and Ashley play, and they are very similar players and certainly deserving of consideration.

However, looking at the same TENNESSEAN.COM Kayci Ferriss leads the state in rebounding and blocks, and has led most of the year in points [she may currently lead in points, I just have not checked in about a week].

When looking at stats they do not reflect grade, height, age or any thing else, which is just how it should be.

With the stats alone of KAYCI FERRIS she should be in the running for Miss Basketball.

QUOTE(mdtennbasketball @ Feb 8 2007 - 12:34 PM) 826363580[/snapback]

I am glad you are a fan of stats. Thats shows you are willing to objectively compare players from around the state. In my opinion, stats are the only way to compare apples to oranges to pears.

I have seen both Mandy and Ashley play, and they are very similar players and certainly deserving of consideration.

However, looking at the same TENNESSEAN.COM Kayci Ferriss leads the state in rebounding and blocks, and has led most of the year in points [she may currently lead in points, I just have not checked in about a week].

When looking at stats they do not reflect grade, height, age or any thing else, which is just how it should be.

With the stats alone of KAYCI FERRIS she should be in the running for Miss Basketball.

And Kayci Ferris is shooting over 75% from the field. (oh by the way, her last 4 games over 84%)

Not extremely difficult to shoot a high percentege when 98% of her shot attempts are coming within 3 to 4 feet of the basket. Harpeth pleyed them in a playday this summer in which a 5'7 guard (Salem Richardson) who got physical with her shut her down. She will have her day because she is improving every game, this year Mandy Mendenhall should have her day. She has earned it over the course of this season and an extremely successful career. If you claim that classification should have nothing to do with it, I might agree if that was considered in year's past, however, if this is a cycle, then why should a player that was deserving of the honor last year, but didn't get it due to classification, why should she be penalized her senior year? Size can not be coached, talent and athleticism can. Ferris should not be penalized for being big, in fact she will be greatly rewarded for this very reason throughout her career in high school and with a nice scholarship should she want to play in college, but Mendenhall has talent and ability that is not normal in girl's high school basketball. Statistics do not reflect the overall importance of her to her team, who is 23-3 and only lost 1 game in the state of Tennessee.