Hillwood Looking for New Coach

Guest workinprogress

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(ELA @ Feb 6 2007 - 11:59 AM) 826360468[/snapback]

Hey Bigchief... what do you think about this position? Will they look outside of metro or will it be another internal hire?

ELA,

JMO, but this is a "BAD" job and you don't want it. You should look into the Indy. or Fairview job. Indy. is a new school in Williamson County and their coach Scott Smith took the job @ Science Hill.

The only real question for anyone is, how hard up for a head coaching job are you. I don't know Coach Baskin but I did see him in action. He looked to be very stressed out on the sidelines. He is a perfect example of someone that has paid their dues to get the opportunity to be a head coach. Unfortunately, he only had a limited opportunity to do this job. Is it possible that he was merely a stop-gap coach?

QUOTE(ELA @ Feb 6 2007 - 11:59 AM) 826360468[/snapback]

Hey Bigchief... what do you think about this position? Will they look outside of metro or will it be another internal hire?

Lee, stay VERY far away from this one. Like previously mentioned, Independence or Fairview would be much better places to work. Hillwood is a horrible day to day place to work.

QUOTE(bigchief @ Feb 6 2007 - 01:44 PM) 826360558[/snapback]

Lee, stay VERY far away from this one. Like previously mentioned, Independence or Fairview would be much better places to work. Hillwood is a horrible day to day place to work.

I am not going to talk about Williamson County. I have been through that process a dozen times. Metro is about the same, been there and done that; but there must be some talent at HILLWOOD? Why have they had so many problems over the last few years?

QUOTE(FadePattern @ Feb 6 2007 - 01:06 PM) 826360597[/snapback]

Is Lang the executive Principal? Where was he assigned prior to Hillwood?

Cameron Middle School

Has anyone ever heard of a Metro Coach being hired and fired by the same guy after only 1 season and no spring practice. This doesn't seem quite right to me. Baskin should have had more time to turn things around imo. The next guy should win 3-5 games next year if he/she has any clue. Baskin should have had the opportunity to coach at least another year.

Karl Lang was the head principal at Cameron Middle School prior to coming to Hillwood.

ELA, I could go on and on about the day to day problems at Hillwood as a school. I don't have enough time to get into all that.

As far as athletics, the zone loses a tremendous amount of athletes to the many surrounding private schools as well as the magnet schools. Very few kids that live around the Hillwood neighborhood actually go to the school. Most are brought in from across North Nashville. There is zero school spirit. The facilities are pathetic. The stadium was condemned during this past season. The gym SHOULD be condemned. They practice across the uneven outfield of the baseball field (if you have ever seen it, you know what I am talking about). I did manage to get the previous administration to update the weight room somewhat. When I got there it was in an old classroom.

Honestly, Hillwood has not exactly been a hotbed for athletics since the late 70's. We did have a nice resurgence during my three years there. Football went 27-8 and won a region championship. Boys basketball made the district championship game my second year etc. We had probably the best run of athletes that had been through Hillwood in 20 years. However, if you look at the athletic program in general, there is really not much to get excited about. The apathy that surrounds athletics at Hillwood was not developed overnight and it will not disappear that quickly either.

The fact that he has fired two head coaches in two years when he has only been at the school for three years should be a red flag that even a blind man could see. In the last two years there have been two head coaches (Link, Baskin) to leave and at least seven (S. Brown, R. Brown, Lewis, Komisar, Moore, Carden, Fisher) former assistants. They had new coaches this year in Football, Volleyball, boys basketball, baseball, softball, track, and wrestling. What does that say? You figure it out.

Scott Brunette is the AD for all Metro schools. 259-8783

Hillwood should become a grade 7-12 academic magnet school like Hume Fogg or MLK. If they did that the school would be filled with students from the same demographics as the neighborhood and get much more community support. You know that it is a bad situation when people that graduated from Hillwood in the 70" (Hillwoods best years) and live in the neighborhood with their families but send their own children to MBA, Father Ryan, Ensworth, Harpeth Hall, etc...