State Tournament Officiating

stumpguy

QUOTE(Philippians 4_13 @ Feb 17 2007 - 03:24 PM) 826376393[/snapback]

The officiating was not perfect mind you, but there were some inconsistentcy in regards to the way calls were made.

The Div II 140 semi finals match between Bell and Cash was just one example where a wrestler was allowed to stall the entire period and not one call was made. The official as set by the provisions in the rule book shall penalize stalling immediately. On two occasions Bell held on the legs of Cash at the line never working to back to the hip and not one stalling call came against Bell. Cash came to his feet 10-12 times in the second period.

The Div I 160 finals match with Wright and Creagan. Wright got on his bicycle during the last period and the official made the call way too late.

The Div II 189 finals match with Williams and Mix. Williams stalled the entire third period and the call if made was late.

The Div I 152 finals match with Spain and Toney. The official awarded a stalling point to the offensive wrestler. The bottom guy could not move because the top guy was literally sitting on his hips.

The Div I finals match at 189 Robertson and Hall from Maryville. There was a situation where the match should have been stalemated. The official allowed them to sit there for nearly 40 seconds before stopping the action. Neither wrestler could improve their position and therefore the official shall, as soon as possible STOP the match and wrestling shall be resumed as for an out of bounds.

The above examples are in NO WAY meant to diminish the State Champions. Bell, Wright, Williams and Spain are the State Champions and Congratulations to those guys. They're not at all responsible for the actions and calls of the officials.

So before the comments pour in about someone whinning, I'm NOT. But unless there is a level on consistency attained with the ranks of high school officiating this will continue. I don't have a dog in the fight as of yet. But, when he does get to Chattanooga he'll have already learned to never leave it the guy wearing the stripes.

Now, on the positive. There were far far more instances of really good officials having not missed a beat. However, we have a tendency, myself included to focus on the mistakes. For those officials that did a good job and you know who you are, THANK YOU. My comments are merely meant and should be taken in a constructive manner.

Add the DII 285 where an illegal hold injured one of the wrestlers to the point of his having to finish one armed. And there was the constant backing up with no stalling called. There was very little consistency.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the call on Andy Siler in the 130 consolation semi's was pretty bad. 5-0 lead, Andy had already pinned Daniels in like a minute during the regular season, then they call him for slam.

I thought the officiating this weekend was great. Much, much, much better than state duals. But I also agree with Chattwrestling on this one. I was watching just a few feet away from the mat and that was no slam. Six or seven other coaches standing beside me made the same comment. He took the kid down hard and the arm was trapped, but I see wrestlers brought down to the mat harder than that every day at practice; I'm sure most rooms do. The Rhea County kid flopped around a little like he had been hit with Jim Cornette's tennis racket. I felt bad for Andy. I obviously don't think the ref was trying to screw Andy over, I think he made the call because the dying catfish on the rocks routine sold him on it.

Maybe for State, officials from KY or GA should be brought in

heck No! Give me a Chattanooga or middle tenn ref any day over KY, GA, or FL. We wrestle in those states and you do not get the level of consistency that you get here. We really are lucky in this area with the officiating that we have. It seems like when we go to some of the other southern states we get officials who do it as a "hobby." I always feel like the officials here take a more professional approach.

and for the record, I'm an old sailor and I have never said the word "heck"..lol. I guess someone edited my post somehow..lol.

QUOTE(TojoYamamoto @ Feb 17 2007 - 10:51 PM) 826376963[/snapback]

QUOTE(Blood Sweat & Tears @ Feb 17 2007 - 04:11 PM) 826376502[/snapback]

Maybe for State, officials from KY or GA should be brought in

heck No! Give me a Chattanooga or middle tenn ref any day over KY, GA, or FL. We wrestle in those states and you do not get the level of consistency that you get here. We really are lucky in this area with the officiating that we have. It seems like when we go to some of the other southern states we get officials who do it as a "hobby." I always feel like the officials here take a more professional approach.

and for the record, I'm an old sailor and I have never said the word "heck"..lol. I guess someone edited my post somehow..lol.

I wanted to let you know that what you and the wrestling community in Soddy Daisy get done is great. The program you guys have built is worth my envy. I never new until now all it really takes to try to get things taken care of. I was going to tell ya to tell Butch and Ms. Winston something but I'll see them this week anyway. Good luck to Ryan in college and Mikey's success in his final year, unless its against Jonathan.

QUOTE(TojoYamamoto @ Feb 17 2007 - 10:37 PM) 826376935[/snapback]

QUOTE(CHATTWRESTLING @ Feb 17 2007 - 02:36 PM) 826376294[/snapback]

the call on Andy Siler in the 130 consolation semi's was pretty bad. 5-0 lead, Andy had already pinned Daniels in like a minute during the regular season, then they call him for slam.

I thought the officiating this weekend was great. Much, much, much better than state duals. But I also agree with Chattwrestling on this one. I was watching just a few feet away from the mat and that was no slam. Six or seven other coaches standing beside me made the same comment. He took the kid down hard and the arm was trapped, but I see wrestlers brought down to the mat harder than that every day at practice; I'm sure most rooms do. The Rhea County kid flopped around a little like he had been hit with Jim Cornette's tennis racket. I felt bad for Andy. I obviously don't think the ref was trying to screw Andy over, I think he made the call because the dying catfish on the rocks routine sold him on it.

hunter daniels had suffered a severe concussion during that match he couldnt see well at all and was taken to the emergency room about 15 minutes after that so you need to know who your talking about before you say stuff like that

QUOTE(eagle215 @ Feb 18 2007 - 11:27 AM) 826377264[/snapback]hunter daniels had suffered a severe concussion during that match he couldnt see well at all and was taken to the emergency room about 15 minutes after that so you need to know who your talking about before you say stuff like that

well i hope hunter is really proud of his 4th place finish. because one thing i do know is that he did not have a chance against andy siler until is acting skills came into the match. good luck on the mat/stage next year buddy.

QUOTE(maj @ Feb 17 2007 - 11:46 AM) 826376088[/snapback]Overall pretty good. I saw a couple of blown calls but I don't think poor officiating was one of the top stories in the tournament.

I did notice a some inconsistancy calling falls. In the finals ( from my view from the second level ) it appeared one Bradley kid had his opponent, nailed , glued and screwed to the floor. The fall came about 20 seconds later. Another Bradley wrestler was on his back and the pin came in a fraction of a second. Looked to me like one shoulder was up a couple of inches. I think he may have been pinned in a few seconds anyway as he was caught pretty good but I would have liked to have seen him have a little longer to fight it.

In the 130 pound DII consolation semis the Braircrest kid had the Father Ryan kid stacked up in a cradel for a good 10 seconds and no pin was called. How do you have a kid stacked up on his shoulders and not get a pin?

QUOTE(cobalt @ Feb 18 2007 - 10:48 AM) 826377302[/snapback]In the 130 pound DII consolation semis the Braircrest kid had the Father Ryan kid stacked up in a cradel for a good 10 seconds and no pin was called. How do you have a kid stacked up on his shoulders and not get a pin?

Its very simple Someimes the cradel is the hardest to call... are you sure he was on his shoulders? and Where you in the second tier of the arean?

QUOTE(dbp665 @ Feb 18 2007 - 10:40 AM) 826377286[/snapback]well i hope hunter is really proud of his 4th place finish. because one thing i do know is that he did not have a chance against andy siler until is acting skills came into the match. good luck on the mat/stage next year buddy.

Really not called for, the kid may have really been hurt and couldn't continue. I too was right there during the match and his head bounced of the mat like a basketball. The official confirred with his assistant and got the call right in my opinion. It may not have looked "bad" to you, but according to the definition of illegal slam (his opponent hit the mat before he did) it was the correct call.

QUOTE(Cheb89 @ Feb 18 2007 - 03:42 PM) 826377731[/snapback]Really not called for, the kid may have really been hurt and couldn't continue. I too was right there during the match and his head bounced of the mat like a basketball. The official confirred with his assistant and got the call right in my opinion. It may not have looked "bad" to you, but according to the definition of illegal slam (his opponent hit the mat before he did) it was the correct call.

I agree that it was a slam but not for the reason you have given. The definition of a slam says absolutely nothing about who hits the mat first. This is a common misconception of the rule. He came down hard on his head and the shoulder of the trapped arm. It was a good call.

The officiating was overall very good. Mr. Huffington, Mr. Elsea stick out to me, always in control, always into the match. Great officals.

There is a feeling from other areas of the state that with alot of the refs you will not get a close call against alot of chatt. areas better teams. This may be true may not but it does seem to work this way alot when you have time to set back and watch.

One thing I do not understand is refs at state will warn the top man for stalling and tell him to get off the hips, but will not give the point to the bottom man, when top still stays on the hips. Saw this no less than 10 times usually warned in the first 40 sec. then top stays on hips the next min. and nothing is done.

Reg. 1 only had one ref. at state this year. The one we had did a great job. Better than about all at the tournament.

QUOTE(Drem2Achev @ Feb 18 2007 - 03:33 PM) 826377798[/snapback]The officiating was overall very good. Mr. Huffington, Mr. Elsea stick out to me, always in control, always into the match. Great officals.

There is a feeling from other areas of the state that with alot of the refs you will not get a close call against alot of chatt. areas better teams. This may be true may not but it does seem to work this way alot.

One thing I do not understand is refs at state will warn the top man for stalling and tell him to get off the hips, but will not give the point to the bottom man, when top still stays on the hips. Saw this no less than 10 times usually warned in the first 40 sec. then top stays on hips the next min. and nothing is done.

Reg. 1 only had one ref. at state this year. The one we had did a great job. Better than about all at the tournament.

It certainly seems that way. If you're in a close match with a Chattanooga kid it seems as though the official seems bias. I agree that Don Elsea is a very good official and well respected from Chattanooga to Middle, TN. He seemed to make the call no matter who the wrestler or the coach.

If a kid is called for stalling for sitting on the hips and continue to stay there after the first warning then the stalling call should be made. It's pointless to make the stalling call and then not penalize the offensive wrestler when it occurs a second time. There were only four officials that consistently made the stalling calls through out the tournament.