Best AAA Tennis Team

Tennessee3

QUOTE(tennisplaya @ May 6 2007 - 02:07 PM) 826452909[/snapback]that kinda helps what im saying. webb doesnt recruit guys from Germany or Zimbabwe. heck no one in our Top 10 (probably like Top 20) is on scholarship, i realize that in other sports we might, im not sure though. That is why it is such a bigger deal that we beat these types of schools.

You have no reason not to. Your not going to get any state championship for Tennessee players only. There isn't some alternative state championship for that. It's like Economics, why not exploit the opportunity that is there when the others will exploit this opportunity. The only one who loses is you. They will continue to do so until you affect them and take your slice of the pie. That is an advantage afforded to you by being in division 2. If you don't use it, its on you.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Harris @ May 6 2007 - 03:16 PM) 826452917[/snapback]You have no reason not to. Your not going to get any state championship for Tennessee players only. There isn't some alternative state championship for that. It's like Economics, why not exploit the opportunity that is there when the others will exploit this opportunity. The only one who loses is you. They will continue to do so until you affect them and take your slice of the pie. That is an advantage afforded to you by being in division 2. If you don't use it, its on you.

It's actually in Webb's mission statement that the school can't provide "athletic" scholarships. That's the way it's been since the school was founded and I don't see it changing any time soon no matter what the Division II rules may allow.

QUOTE(Harris @ May 6 2007 - 01:16 PM) 826452917[/snapback]You have no reason not to. Your not going to get any state championship for Tennessee players only. There isn't some alternative state championship for that. It's like Economics, why not exploit the opportunity that is there when the others will exploit this opportunity. The only one who loses is you. They will continue to do so until you affect them and take your slice of the pie. That is an advantage afforded to you by being in division 2. If you don't use it, its on you.

We dont have dorm rooms to house them up, we cant just stick them in someone's house. It's a bigger testament to what webb has done with nothing but Knoxville players.

Check out TSSAA's constitution, http://tssaa.org/Handbook/handbook.pdf . On pages 47-48, there are very specific regulations for recruitment, which division II schools also must follow. For the most part, even DII schools are not supposed to really recruit students. That said, i know many of them do... But it is definately an overstatement to say, "there is no reason not to"

Furthermore, Harris, your Ohio state analogy was irrelevant. High school divisions are completely different from college conferences, and you know that. As long as Webb is in DII, their matches against AAA do not count for rankings, seeding, or postseason, and DII teams can only possibly play DII teams in the state championship. Obviously you know that, but that comparison would only be valid if the aforementioned facts were not true.

QUOTE(SpartanTennis @ May 6 2007 - 04:50 PM) 826452956[/snapback]It's actually in Webb's mission statement that the school can't provide "athletic" scholarships. That's the way it's been since the school was founded and I don't see it changing any time soon no matter what the Division II rules may allow.

So you don't have one foreign exchange student in your whole school? I find that hard to believe considering one of Siegel's players has a German kid living in his house as part of a foreign exchange program, he just doesn't play tennis.

Also, if you care to, ask Bo why he chose Baylor over McCallie. That will be an interesting answer if truthful. And nobody provides "athletic" scholarships. That would be illegal. But you can provide various amounts of "financial aid" and when given to a player, knowing a player is good at a certain sport, it is nothing more than an athletic scholarship with a different name. Might want to learn how things work before you just throw out the most obvious rule that everyone does bypass.

foreign exchange students are COMPLETELY different from recruiting players. and yes we have 1 foreign exchange guy from Switzerland, but the exchange program has nothing to do with athletic stuff so i dont even know why you are talking about that. and also yes we give away "financial aid" every non-public school has to offer that. but nobody on top 10 of our tennis team has that. its given out for diversity reasons (because Webb is prodomently (sp?) white) not for athletic reasons. and no Harris didnt "get us"....maybe you though since you seem so fond of him

I'm sick of this form of forum argument, where both parties ignore parts of the truth to try to win the argument. Yes, obviously, it is possible to have an exchange student live at someone's house, but it is much easier to get foreign students if the school has dorms. Also, to answer your question, we have one foreign exchange student. Further, you said "There is a reason you have tuition, can recruit...". Actually we legally cant recruit. We can in the sense that we could probably get away with it, and most other DII schools do it, but you seem to be making the argument that being in DII allows us to recruit. I understand what you are saying though; private schools can more easily choose their students and try to convince certain students to join through scholarships. Our coach refuses to recruit, which, like you said, makes us a little behind the curve; but quit insulting us, the players, for such policies because we obviously have no control over them. Do you get your jollies from arguing with high school kids? You're in college, and so you assume you are infinitely wiser than the high school kids, but clearly, if you must post every day of your college life on high school forums, your college experience is truly lacking.

QUOTE(SpartanTennis @ May 6 2007 - 09:14 PM) 826453121[/snapback]I'm sick of this form of forum argument, where both parties ignore parts of the truth to try to win the argument. Yes, obviously, it is possible to have an exchange student live at someone's house, but it is much easier to get foreign students if the school has dorms. Also, to answer your question, we have one foreign exchange student. Further, you said "There is a reason you have tuition, can recruit...". Actually we legally cant recruit. We can in the sense that we could probably get away with it, and most other DII schools do it, but you seem to be making the argument that being in DII allows us to recruit. I understand what you are saying though; private schools can more easily choose their students and try to convince certain students to join through scholarships. Our coach refuses to recruit, which, like you said, makes us a little behind the curve; but quit insulting us, the players, for such policies because we obviously have no control over them. Do you get your jollies from arguing with high school kids? You're in college, and so you assume you are infinitely wiser than the high school kids, but clearly, if you must post every day of your college life on high school forums, your college experience is truly lacking.

I'm not infinitely wiser than everyone...just you and everyone from webb.

And my college experience is just fine, It takes all of 15 minutes a day to post on here, being on campus with no job, you have the free time for that.

And foreign exchange students matter because thats what Julien Onken is and every guy that came from South Africa from McCallie. They just chose them over some other foreign exchange student because they knew they could help them.

It's like Charles Barkley said, "Its the SEC, If you aint cheating, you aint trying to win" It might not be legal by the pure rulebook, but there is so much interpretation to the rulebook that all D2 schools can get away with it, and all do except for you. Your not capitalizing on the opportunity. You, your coach, whoever.

QUOTE(tennisplaya @ May 6 2007 - 09:09 PM) 826453114[/snapback]foreign exchange students are COMPLETELY different from recruiting players. and yes we have 1 foreign exchange guy from Switzerland, but the exchange program has nothing to do with athletic stuff so i dont even know why you are talking about that. and also yes we give away "financial aid" every non-public school has to offer that. but nobody on top 10 of our tennis team has that. its given out for diversity reasons (because Webb is prodomently (sp?) white) not for athletic reasons. and no Harris didnt "get us"....maybe you though since you seem so fond of him

I'd watch who your talking to like that