Teams Ever Ranked In USA Today Top 25

SCtribe

I know Briarcrest was #9 in the country in 2001....and you can see the ever-present Shelbyville 2 spots higher at #7.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/preps/baske...5girlsfinal.htm

Ashley Earley off that squad was an all SEC player at Vandy and Jada Mincy is currently starting at Ole Miss.

Here's a link to current and archived super 25 rankings for several sports in USA Today.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/preps/rankingsindex.htm

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fish5 @ Feb 24 2007 - 08:48 AM) 826387058[/snapback]Chalk another bullet up for 8AAA play. You may not care for Shelbyville, but we root for Coffee County against anyone outside 8 AAA! Coffee County has much to be proud of with its rabid fans and playing history. Don't be timid about extolling that 93/94 state championship!

It was 92/93. Not 93/94. White Co. ended Shelbyvilles season in 92/93 in the semis of the region. It was the 1st time in a long time Shelbyville would not make state.

QUOTE(ccalum @ Feb 23 2007 - 10:21 PM) 826386792[/snapback]Thanks for the Coffee Co. plug. In our only state tournament appearance, we made the most of it in '93, ending the year #13 in the national rankings, with 8 inches of snow on the ground. That championship has to still kill White Co. fans, b/c they accounted for all 3 of our losses that season, and mopped the floor with us in 2 of those! Believe me, when Henry Co. put WC out in the state that year, we breathed a sigh of relief. Alas, that season is just a memory. And that's about all we have in CC these days. But what a year that was!

it is hard knowing White Co. had by far the best team that year. The Henry Co. game should have been a 30 point win.

Sequatchie ran into Livingston's 90-91 team in the second round of the region tournament. Seq had a player who went on to be the school's all time leading scorer and is one of few Division I basketball players from the school so far, and at least a couple more played other sports in college, but had to work their hardest to keep the game to 25. I'm wanting to say Brown had three fouls in the first half for Livingston but Seq couldn't take advantage.

QUOTE(fish5 @ Feb 24 2007 - 08:48 AM) 826387058[/snapback]Chalk another bullet up for 8AAA play. You may not care for Shelbyville, but we root for Coffee County against anyone outside 8 AAA! Coffee County has much to be proud of with its rabid fans and playing history. Don't be timid about extolling that 93/94 state championship!

From the late 80's through the mid 90's District 8-AAA was one of the toughest Districts in the Nation...not the state the Nation. I say that because I believe at one point in the same year Shelbyville, Frankiln County and Coffee County all were mentioned in the top 25 in the Nation...and they are all about 25 minutes (or less) away from each other. That is stout. At one point I would put any one of those teams against anyone in the country, and if you want to talk region tournament then you could throw White Counties team w/Kelly Jolly into the mix as well. Region 4-AAA was without a doubt one of the toughest regions to advance through in the history of Tennessee sports. Some of the best teams in the state didnt even make it to the sub-state game because they lost their second round game in the region tournament. There were many years where not one, but two teams from this region made it to the state tournament. There were tons of great teams during that 10 year span from this region. Heck, there still are, but during that time if you wanted to see who the 2 best teams in the state were then you would look to the Region 4-AAA Champ and Runner Up. The year Coffee County won the State Championship they didnt even win their Region Tournament. Tennessee Girls Basketball during that time was very well respected and represented in middle Tennessee. Region 4-AAA was the most dominate Region Tennessee Girls Basketball has ever seen.

QUOTE(85warrior @ Feb 24 2007 - 02:16 PM) 826387313[/snapback]It was 92/93. Not 93/94. White Co. ended Shelbyvilles season in 92/93 in the semis of the region. It was the 1st time in a long time Shelbyville would not make state.

it is hard knowing White Co. had by far the best team that year. The Henry Co. game should have been a 30 point win.

I loved looking at the faces of those White County fans as they were walking out of the gym the night they lost to Henry County. I heard several of them saying as Coffee County was running out onto the Court for pregame to face Memphis East (who they beat by about 30 points) "We beat Coffee County 3 times this year and they are still in the tournament and we are heading back to Sparta...this isnt fair."

White County was symbolic of the Buffalo Bills not only that year but many after that as well. They had some great teams but District 8-AAA usually won the Championship.

QUOTE(SCtribe @ Feb 24 2007 - 05:03 PM) 826387463[/snapback]I loved looking at the faces of those White County fans as they were walking out of the gym the night they lost to Henry County. I heard several of them saying as Coffee County was running out onto the Court for pregame to face Memphis East (who they beat by about 30 points) "We beat Coffee County 3 times this year and they are still in the tournament and we are heading back to Sparta...this isnt fair."

It was actually Mem. Central. But it was a 29 point win!

White County was symbolic of the Buffalo Bills not only that year but many after that as well. They had some great teams but District 8-AAA usually won the Championship.

I agree. That's what we always said in Manchester. In the '90's, Sparta went to the state tournament I think 8 times (every year except '95 and '99, maybe), and all they had to show for it was 2 runnerup finishes. I enjoyed that back then, but now I wished that they had gotten one, b/c Sparta always had some good fan support.

From the late 80's through the mid 90's District 8-AAA was one of the toughest Districts in the Nation...not the state the Nation. I say that because I believe at one point in the same year Shelbyville, Frankiln County and Coffee County all were mentioned in the top 25 in the Nation...and they are all about 25 minutes (or less) away from each other. That is stout.

Some of the best battles I ever witnessed was in '92 when Franklin Co and Shelbyville had 3 classic games. FC won the 2 reg. season games, but lost the district tournament final. That was huge as FC had to take on Sparta in the region semis and lost. FC had been ranked as high as #2 in the nation that year. FC was stout again in '94 with Memphis signee LaTonya Johnson, but haven't had much since ole Harlowe left.