Will T$$AA ever go to 5 classes in basketball?

hopalot

What are the positives and negatives of this issue?

Seems it would be more revenue generated at state tourney, district tourneys, regionals, sub-state, etc......

TSSAA already gets 18% off the top of those tourneys.

More classes=more tourneys. More tourneys=more revenue.............

There are already many more basketball teams than football teams throughout the state, yet football has more classes than basketball.

WHY NOT??????

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(hopalot @ Feb 27 2007 - 07:44 AM) 826391373[/snapback]What are the positives and negatives of this issue?

Seems it would be more revenue generated at state tourney, district tourneys, regionals, sub-state, etc......

TSSAA already gets 18% off the top of those tourneys.

More classes=more tourneys. More tourneys=more revenue.............

There are already many more basketball teams than football teams throughout the state, yet football has more classes than basketball.

WHY NOT??????

What you stated is the reason they would go to more classes. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

QUOTE(objbballjunky @ Feb 27 2007 - 08:53 AM) 826391387[/snapback]Let's hope not. The travel, especially the Tuesday night games, would make it very difficult on fans, players and coaches. It also destroys regional rivalries. I wish football would go back to AAA.

Couldn't that actually make travel closer? Some districts are currently 2 hours apart from tip to tip.

GGE, Why is it a bad idea? Give reasons, please. It very well may be the worst idea of all time, but I don't know the reason(s).

I'll tell you why it's a bad idea

Currently, most districts have between 6 and 10 teams. If you change to 5 classifications, then the districts will shrink to 4 to 7 teams. Its already easy enough to make the region tournament in most regions (win the 1st round of district play and you're in the top 4). If you go to 5 classes, you'll dilute to level of play because undeserving teams will advance. If anything should be changed, I think that basketball should be like baseball and the top two in the district make the region.

In both sports, the regular season doesn't mean jack crap, because everybody gets a shot in the district tournament. You could not win a game all year and then win 6 in a row and be region champs. In football, the regular season means everything. Every week is the playoffs.

In football, the 5 classes are more in place for safety than anything. It would be unsafe for the kids if a team such as Cannon County had to play Riverdale, Middleton had to play Jackson Central Merry, or Silverdale Academy had to play Dobyns Bennett (for a few examples).

QUOTE(cscc32 @ Feb 27 2007 - 10:20 AM) 826391661[/snapback]I'll tell you why it's a bad idea

Currently, most districts have between 6 and 10 teams. If you change to 5 classifications, then the districts will shrink to 4 to 7 teams. Its already easy enough to make the region tournament in most regions (win the 1st round of district play and you're in the top 4). If you go to 5 classes, you'll dilute to level of play because undeserving teams will advance. If anything should be changed, I think that basketball should be like baseball and the top two in the district make the region.

In both sports, the regular season doesn't mean jack crap, because everybody gets a shot in the district tournament. You could not win a game all year and then win 6 in a row and be region champs. In football, the regular season means everything. Every week is the playoffs.

In football, the 5 classes are more in place for safety than anything. It would be unsafe for the kids if a team such as Cannon County had to play Riverdale, Middleton had to play Jackson Central Merry, or Silverdale Academy had to play Dobyns Bennett (for a few examples).

Couldnt have said it any better

You are right, it is too easy to make it to region in basketball for some teams. Same for some football teams making it to playoffs with 1 win. Not valid enough argument, IMO.

Safety is good argument for why football has 5 classes. Makes me wonder why they didn't do it when I was playing. I guess my safety wasn't important enough.

Some may say talent is dilluted in basketball since they went from the 'Large' and 'Small' classifications in 1976 to the 3 classes we have now.

The simple fact that there are more teams participating in basketball than football should be enough proof that there needs to be more classes.

It is time for the change.

QUOTE(52fan52 @ Feb 27 2007 - 12:01 PM) 826391706[/snapback]WHY NOT GO TO 4 CLASSIFICATIONS IN ALL SPORTS????

What was wrong with 3 classes in all sports? /huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

Travel is the best reason not to split up the classes even further. Harpeth for example is driving 2 hours to a district game in Stewart County, true, but with 5 classes they'd lose their natural rivals like Cheatham, Sycamore, Creekwood and Montgomery Central who all have larger enrollments. They'd be stuck on a AA island like they are in football and instead of one 2 hour trip every year, they'd be making about 6 of them.

QUOTE(bulldogcoach23 @ Feb 27 2007 - 01:20 PM) 826391736[/snapback]i think it would be good. it needs to be done in all sports. very small schools and very large schools can be put into a fair category, because very small schools do not have as large a student population. . schools have the option to play in a higher classification.

As soon as the TSSAA can come up with a plan to make more $$$$$ and also convince everyone it is in their best interest then you may see more classifications. Just like the opening games of the regionals being on home courts, how much $$$$$$ did that make them. But how did it effect those who like to see all the games??? They don't care, bottom line is always $$$$$$$$$$. 20+ years at the state tournament has made it clear to me.