Franklin @ Clarksville

Jim Harrick

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Golfendude @ Mar 3 2007 - 09:08 PM) 826398776[/snapback]Clarksville by double digits. Wildcats take State /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

I don't know if CHS will win the State especially if they were to match up with some of the Memphis teams. I do think they defeat Franklin and think they will defeat Franklin with defense.

Defense wins championships is a general truism. If you look at Clarksville's schedule and especially since early January, the Cats defense has allowed more than 50 points in only four of those games with the highest opponent's score being 54. Looking at Franklin's schedule it certainly looks as if scoring on Franklin is not that big a problem for teams; Franklin has simply outscored them.

Given that Clarksville's defense has been very consistent at holding opponents to low scores and given that we know that Clarksville does possess the ability to explode on offense from either the inside or outside then Clarksville should be the hands on favorite in this game.

Can Franklin win this game? Absolutely. Bigger upsets have occurred and Franklin has an outstanding team. However, it certainly looks as if the Cats have the defensive edge as well as the home court and if Franklin cannot find a defensive answer to Caldwell then it could turn into a long night for the Rebels. Caldwell and Harper on the outside and Merriwether (another Cat getting some college looks), Henderson and big boy Dowlin on the inside? I like the Cats. This game could be very close but I think the Wildcats go on one of their patented runs and hold on for a double digit victory.

Of course, I've been wrong many, many times before - hehe.

QUOTE(DunkerDon @ Mar 3 2007 - 10:40 PM) 826398834[/snapback]I don't know if CHS will win the State especially if they were to match up with some of the Memphis teams. I do think they defeat Franklin and think they will defeat Franklin with defense.

Defense wins championships is a general truism. If you look at Clarksville's schedule and especially since early January, the Cats defense has allowed more than 50 points in only four of those games with the highest opponent's score being 54. Looking at Franklin's schedule it certainly looks as if scoring on Franklin is not that big a problem for teams; Franklin has simply outscored them.

Given that Clarksville's defense has been very consistent at holding opponents to low scores and given that we know that Clarksville does possess the ability to explode on offense from either the inside or outside then Clarksville should be the hands on favorite in this game.

Can Franklin win this game? Absolutely. Bigger upsets have occurred and Franklin has an outstanding team. However, it certainly looks as if the Cats have the defensive edge as well as the home court and if Franklin cannot find a defensive answer to Caldwell then it could turn into a long night for the Rebels. Caldwell and Harper on the outside and Merriwether (another Cat getting some college looks), Henderson and big boy Dowlin on the inside? I like the Cats. This game could be very close but I think the Wildcats go on one of their patented runs and hold on for a double digit victory.

Of course, I've been wrong many, many times before - hehe.

Caldwell has certainly come on strong as a pretty consistent point producer since our first meeting but Harper, Henderson & Dowlen are rarely getting into double digits. Meriwether was the most potent weapon that Clarksville had against us the first time. I think that Franklin's depth and number of offensive weapons will be a force to reckon with.

Although it was in December, FHS was one of those opponents to score 50+ against Clarksville. Look for it to happen again! We'll just have to see what Monday night brings. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

QUOTE(FranklinHSfan @ Mar 4 2007 - 12:40 PM) 826399357[/snapback]Caldwell has certainly come on strong as a pretty consistent point producer since our first meeting but Harper, Henderson & Dowlen are rarely getting into double digits. Meriwether was the most potent weapon that Clarksville had against us the first time. I think that Franklin's depth and number of offensive weapons will be a force to reckon with.

Although it was in December, FHS was one of those opponents to score 50+ against Clarksville. Look for it to happen again! We'll just have to see what Monday night brings. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Yes, we will just have to wait and see what happens which is why they play the games.

FHS played CHS in mid-November (Nov.17 in the Hall of Fame game) and not December but that is a minor point.

Franklin did indeed score over 50 in the first meeting. Franklin scored 51.

Looking at the last 10 games, Merriwether of Clarksville was a double digit scorer in 7 of them (MJ, 13; Gallatin, 12; Springfield, 10; Clarksville Kenwood, 15; Clarksville NE, 13; Dickson County, 14; Clarksville NW, 17). His high game has been over 20.

Caldwell was the fourth leading scorer for the Wildcats against Springfield although it is true that he is normally the leading scorer. Still, Merriwhether has been a consistent double digit scorer and others have had very productive games and stepped up when needed (Harper, Henderson and Dowlin have all had big scoring games). The big problem for any team against Clarksville on the defensive end is Tyrone Caldwell as very few seem to be able to stop him. I look at Franklin's opponent's scores and it certainly looks as if Franklin is not a defensive oriented team so why should anyone think Franklin is going to stop Caldwell?

I would add that if the assertion is being made that Clarksville is lacking in offense then that is erroneous. FHS highest point total on the season was 81 points against Hillsboro and there was another contest where the Rebels scored 80. CHS has scored over 81 points in seven of their contests with the highest total being 93 against Clarksville Kenwood. I do think CHS has lost some of its offensive prowess over the last several weeks but the Cats are a very explosive offensive team.

Clarksville's defense is, I think, the deciding factor and possibly why 77% of the voters on Coach T's "pick em" are going with the Cats.

But, you are absolutely right about having to wait to see what happens.

QUOTE(BigPoppa @ Mar 4 2007 - 10:25 PM) 826400028[/snapback]Who are the teams that Clarksville has lost to this season?

Lost one to Gallatin and one to Independence so the current record is 30-2.

CHS played Gallatin 3 times this year. The loss was the second game between the two which was at Clarksville. Coach Young is reported to have told his team in the lockerroom prior to the contest that the game meant nothing and the team came out and played as if it didn't. Coach Young said he learned his lesson about making such statements prior to games. BTW, these comments were reported in the Clarksville Leaf Chronicle the day after the game.

The loss to Independence was really inexplicable. Just a horrible game which was played two days after Christmas. I do think the embarrassment of that loss helped ignite the team into playing some of their best ball and they have not lost since reeling off 20 straight thus far including a 19 point defeat of Gallatin in a "revenge game" in the Regional semi-final.

Franklin certainly has had the tougher schedule insofar as the CoachT schedule rank is an accurate assessment. I still like the Cats by around 10 points. It is quite obvious from looking at Franlin's scores that teams can score on them so their defense looks suspect. CHS has not been as offensively explosive as they were in January but the Cats do possess the ability to explode offensively and put up a lot of points in the matter of minutes. Later in the season, some teams attempted to defeat Clarksville by slowing the tempo and using most of the clock since they learned that the uptempo game did not favor them athletically against the Cats.

The defense of CHS has pretty much been their constant so I fully expect them to limit FHS' output below their average. Defense wins championships.

So, I think this could be a very close game but I expect Clarksville to have at least one spurt where they score a lot of points then let the defense simply keep the lead. If Clarksvilles offense AND defense shows up and is clicking on all cylinders then Franklin could be in for a very long night. Franklin will need to bring some modicum of a defense in order to win this game, IMHO.